FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 22 of 28 First ... 122021222324 ... Last
    While working on my module I came across an apparent oversight in the SW5e extension. The extension still uses the base 5e classes in the power and DC cyclers (for example, when adding a heal effect to a power, you click on the Stat box and it cycles through the attributes and then the classes) instead of the SW5e classes. I know very little about extension coding so it took me longer to wrap my head around things than I'd like to admit but I think I've finally got it fixed. Now when clicking on the box it'll cycle through the SW5e classes and properly add the bonus based on the class levels.

I used the following abbreviations but if any have better ideas for them, they can certainly be changed.
    Berserker = Brs
    Consular = Csl
    Engineer = Eng
    Fighter = Ftr
    Guardian = Grd
    Monk = Mnk
    Operative = Opr
    Scholar = Sch
    Scout = Sct
    Sentinel = Snt

I did test each class, adding levels and seeing the bonus change so hopefully it'll all work correctly but I really muddled my way through it so someone with more knowledge may want to double-check.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by miked2681; August 4th, 2021 at 20:35. Reason: Updated extension with comments for additions

Quote Originally Posted by miked2681 View Post
    While working on my module I came across an apparent oversight in the SW5e extension. The extension still uses the base 5e classes in the power and DC cyclers (for example, when adding a heal effect to a power, you click on the Stat box and it cycles through the attributes and then the classes) instead of the SW5e classes. I know very little about extension coding so it took me longer to wrap my head around things than I'd like to admit but I think I've finally got it fixed. Now when clicking on the box it'll cycle through the SW5e classes and properly add the bonus based on the class levels.

I used the following abbreviations but if any have better ideas for them, they can certainly be changed.
    Berserker = Brs
    Consular = Csl
    Engineer = Eng
    Fighter = Ftr
    Guardian = Grd
    Monk = Mnk
    Operative = Opr
    Scholar = Sch
    Scout = Sct
    Sentinel = Snt

I did test each class, adding levels and seeing the bonus change so hopefully it'll all work correctly but I really muddled my way through it so someone with more knowledge may want to double-check.
    I've taken this to replace the other one on total... blind... faith. When I play my LIVE game Monday it will be on your head should it go badly!!!
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I've taken this to replace the other one on total... blind... faith. When I play my LIVE game Monday it will be on your head should it go badly!!!
    Remember, EXTENSIONS = RISK!
    Although this one may possibly have a higher risk quotient then normal lol.

Joking aside, I did test that every class correctly gave their level as a bonus when added on a test heal effect, and I don't -think- it'll cause any problems elsewhere but I honestly don't know for sure. All of the currently coded spells/features/etc. are likely coded based on total level rather than class level (since the SW5e classes wouldn't show in the selection box previously) so the only way anyone would really know would be to change some of those codings. I wanted to try and fix it though in case of multiclassing and features like Second Wind that are meant to use the class level instead of total level.

Anyway, it was a bit of a learning experience for me and I hope it works well for your game, if nobody else comes along to review my fix before then!

I edited the above post and reuploaded the extension because I made comments on the things I added. Just in case it needs to be said, pico (or anyone else) is free to use what I added to update the extension for his github and in the main post.

Fixed SW5E_Extras.mod to remove all quotes from skill names as NPC's cannot use anything with a quote in their name - ex. "Mechanic's Kit" is an item and a skill - the skill has now been changed to "Mechanics Kit" so that it can be used in NPC sheets.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post606521

I am still modifying my starship combat - I have my rules as a story and several example ships. I plan to update this as I go along - and get some of the scanner custom effects put it in when I figure out how to add custom effects individually to a .mod file. Basically space combat I made up for use with my extensions. My players have fought two space battles with it so far so it continues to be refined I will update it like the other one as I go along.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post612240

Does anyone following this have an idea if it would be possible with an extension to basically split spellcasting into two separate functions, one being for Force and one for Tech. There's a few parts to my thinking here: One being the parsing of forcecasting and techcasting for both PC and NPC. The second being the use of FG's magic resistance coding.

For the first point, when importing an NPC statblock, any references to forcecasting and techcasting have to be changed to spellcasting otherwise FG won't understand it. This is fine, and not a difficult change to make, but having an extension that more fully supports the rules couldn't hurt.

The second point is really what drew me down the rabbit hole of trying to see if this could be "fixed". Using one of the Consular archetype's ability of Force Resistance as an example, it says "Starting at 18th level, you have advantage on saving throws against force powers. Additionally, you have resistance against the damage of force powers." In FG's base 5e ruleset this is done easily enough by giving the character a magic resistance ability and then saves against any spells that have the little 'Magic?' box checked will automatically be rolled with advantage. This would work with SW5e also, except you have to consider techcasting and how it also has abilities that grant advantage against tech powers. There's no way to differentiate because they both just use the default spellcasting, and there's no separate checkbox for two types of "magic".

I've been banging my head against this last night and most of the day today. I've been looking through the coding in the 5e ruleset and in some of the FG documentation here online but I just don't understand the coding well enough to get what would need to be done or how an extension could tie into those functions. So here I am, asking if anyone might be able to tell me if this is even possible, and where I might start researching how to do it.

Blog Entries
    In terms of the checkbox just create 2 checkboxes.
    One for tech and one for force.

In terms of two separate functions you could do that but I think it would be better to check the checkbox on one list

In terms of unravelling code - start with something you do know that is fairly specific like "resistance" and do a Find In Files on the 5E ruleset.
    You might first find a string, the search the variable associated with that string, then search the functions and templates that use that variable etc.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    In terms of the checkbox just create 2 checkboxes.
    One for tech and one for force.

In terms of two separate functions you could do that but I think it would be better to check the checkbox on one list

In terms of unravelling code - start with something you do know that is fairly specific like "resistance" and do a Find In Files on the 5E ruleset.
    You might first find a string, the search the variable associated with that string, then search the functions and templates that use that variable etc.
    It's possible I'm just dense but I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. I get the part about having one checkbox for Force and one for Tech, but I'm not understanding how I'd then tie that in with the magic resistance coding to allow it to tell between them so that I could code Force Resistance to work with any spell with the Force checkbox and Tech Resistance to work with any spell with the Tech checkbox, and not work on the opposite ones. Would it be a case of instead of making two spellcasting functions, I'd just duplicate (and rename) the magic resistance function instead?

I plan on just plodding along with what i have - forcecasting and techcasting powers each have preparations and that is where the points are defined and checked off after use and recovered after rest - spell slots are just not used in my SW5e at all. Though they have to have minimum values so that FGU shows your leveled powers/spells/whatever. Resistances are purely what is currently defined for types of damages in my world and defined via effects. The rest you just wing it.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; August 12th, 2021 at 15:58.

Thread Information