Page 1 of 3 123 Last

SW5e a star wars home brew on the 5e rule set

I have been working on stuffing the SW5e PHB and MM into FG Modules. It is nearly in a functional state, but I'd love people to start looking at it and finding issues. There's far too much in this conversion for me to find everything.

I've been using PAR5e and NPC Engineer to parse and prepare the modules and there is an extension to accommodate some of the more basic rule set differences from standard 5e. This has been a huge undertaking for my first attempt at a FG module, so I'm open to suggestions or assistance.

SW5e Content:
    10 classes
    15 races (Species)
    35 backgrounds
    100 feats
    266 spells (Powers)
    new weapons, creature types, damage types, skills, languages, and a single currency

All my sources are on github: https://github.com/BeeGrinder/FantasyGrounds-SW5e
    and the modules and the extension can be downloaded from there.
    If you find issues, please use the github project issue tracker.

Much thanks to Galiphile for assembling all this in the SW5e project.
    SW5e reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sw5e/
    A new SW5e site: http://star-wars-5e.azurewebsites.net/

Now includes spell and item effects inspired by and with permission of rob2e under condition that no money is ever charged for this work. Thanks!

There are several modules to load. Currently they are split to ease development. They will eventually be merged together.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pico; March 9th, 2019 at 02:26.

Changelog / Added / Modified

Pre-Release - Alpha-
    - Concentrating on core SW5e content only. No expanded content
    - Spells are currently using traditional schools. This will be updated later.
    - Concentrating on mechanical workings. Classes, backgrounds, race and how character creation and combat functions. Flavor and documentation will be later.
    - Based on Jan. 11, 2019 release of the SW5e PHB pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVV...wRjUOQJ0m/view

Jan. 23, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - Background skill and feature text fixes
    Jan. 25, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - Race (Species) skill and feature text fixes. Guardian Auras and channel abilities listed correctly.
    Jan. 30, 2019 Update - SW5e Player Book Module - weapon list typo fix. sw5e.ext extension typo fixes.
    Feb. 6, 2019 - SW5e Extension - Added Binary and Aurebesh fonts/languages.
    Feb. 10, 2019 - Added Spell Book Module for force and tech powers, made February PHB updates, text and class feature updates.
    Feb. 18, 2019 - Split Item and Spell module to easy development. Extension fixed for powers and weapon type sorting.
    Feb. 21, 2019 - Force and Tech powers through lvl 2 have effects coded. Item effects for explosives now coded. See Spell Book reference notes.
    Feb. 24, 2019 - Fixed all classes. Made 3rd level choice of sub-class prompt correctly.
    Mar. 6, 2019 - Added many extended content races with pics, added full spell effects for all force and tech powers
    Mar. 8, 2019 - Major update to module structure. Spells and Equipment are now in the module SW5e Supplement.mod. Several reference manual changes.
    ** Reserving this post for future updates
    Last edited by pico; March 9th, 2019 at 02:34.

Instructions and Notes
    - Install the extension SW5e.ext for SW5e skills, money, languages, damage types, skills, npc types, etc. Modules will not work correctly without the extension.
    - Install the 3 modules: SW5e Player Book.mod (classes, races, backgrounds, etc), SW5e Supplement.mod (spells, items, equipment, etc), and SW5e NPC Manual.mod (NPCs)
    - The extension includes some appropriate background decal images.
    - Remember when creating characters that many of the casting classes have a choice of which ability counts as the Spell Casting Modifier. So it must be set up manually.
    - Proficiency seems to be working for classes, races and backgrounds. I don't think they work for feats, adjust manually.
    - The author of SW5e suggests using the Spell Point System rather than Spell Slots. This is an interface adjustment to make during character creation if you use points.
    - All spells (powers), some classes, and some items have item effects coded into them for use in the combat tracker. Use the Source selector in the Spell window to see Force Powers, Tech Powers, Items, or a class.
    - All included races have pictures in case you forget what they look like.
    - Starting Equipment Packs are available in Parcels.
    - Backgrounds have trait tables available for rolling.
    - All classes now prompt at level 3 for sub-class choices.
    - Expanded choice of species (race) and languages to 30.

New Starship rules
    These new rules basically has ships as complex as a player character with character sheets. I would suggest providing your players with their ship's sheet and using the FG interface for a star map, token movement, and dice rolling. But, at this time I don't know of a way to implement the starship combat of SW5e into the FG system.

** Reserving this post for future updates
    Last edited by pico; March 11th, 2019 at 01:57.

I'll definitely take a look at your stuff. I've never played FFG's Star Wars, but I'm a big fan of Saga and 5e, so I think a 5e conversion is an interesting idea.

Could be really cool.

looks pretty fine. Im gonna start a game i think. But misses stat block for the ships, and a nice background

Quote Originally Posted by Martin2301 View Post
    looks pretty fine. Im gonna start a game i think. But misses stat block for the ships, and a nice background
    Thanks. The ship data is coming later as well as a nice theme. Currently my priorities are getting the classes working as well as I can, and fixing any bugs/typos.

And, if someone wants to volunteer and join the project, just let me know

Since the PDFs are free for everyone to download, how important do you feel it is to get a reference manual section in the FG interface?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    Thanks. The ship data is coming later as well as a nice theme. Currently my priorities are getting the classes working as well as I can, and fixing any bugs/typos.

And, if someone wants to volunteer and join the project, just let me know

Since the PDFs are free for everyone to download, how important do you feel it is to get a reference manual section in the FG interface?
    The Reference Manual is always a good thing - BUT - be careful with copyright... The fact that someone else has written all this stuff up and is sharing it fr free doesnt mean that they havent violated someone elses copyright. I am not saying they have - just asking you to do a little checking as you dont want to be responsible for posting copyright materials.

MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

Blog Entries
    A cursory check and it looks like they have replaced jedi with guardian and sith with sentinel... if they have done things like that all the way thru it should be ok...

--- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Star Wars "fan creations", the general rule is, you can publish things for free (fan fiction, fan art, fan films, etc), but if you charge people or make money in any way, they'll consider it copyright infringement. That's how LucasFilm/LucasBooks/LucasArts treated most stuff in the past, and so far, Disney has continued the tradition. There was recently an issue with a fan-film on YouTube that got into it with a subsidiary, but LucasFilm stepped in and straightened the mess out for the most part. Probably because it was turning into bad PR for LucasFilm/Disney.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus VeX View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Star Wars "fan creations", the general rule is, you can publish things for free (fan fiction, fan art, fan films, etc), but if you charge people or make money in any way, they'll consider it copyright infringement. That's how LucasFilm/LucasBooks/LucasArts treated most stuff in the past, and so far, Disney has continued the tradition. There was recently an issue with a fan-film on YouTube that got into it with a subsidiary, but LucasFilm stepped in and straightened the mess out for the most part. Probably because it was turning into bad PR for LucasFilm/Disney.
    I would never call it a rule.
    They are 100% within their rights to protect their copyright and for any Trademarks they must protect them or risk losing them.
    If the current practice by the IP owners is to ignore it thats great. Be aware that they could change that at any time.

--- Projects ---

Thread Information