5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Module Editing on the go!

Lo folks, I'm often on the road and I like to prepare my modules on my laptop, then run them on my home PC.

Is there an easy way to edit the same module on both my laptop and my desktop?
    I've looked this up and can only see very old posts on the subject.

And now for the detail:
    I started work on a module for my players on my laptop, arrived home and exported it, imported it on my desktop. I have since done more work to this module... at least so I thought, in fact it creates a local repository that isn't linked with the module it is based on. And exporting doesn't take the original module information, leaving all kinds of bits all over the place, like a child with a jigsaw.

Without editing the XML (I'm not looking to learn to code to play DnD) can I actually edit work started on one pc on another?

This wasn't a problem with Roll20 as it was all online, I wasn't expecting something so simple as editing a file to be so prohibitively complex as it appears to be. But as I said, I can only find old posts on the subject, have things changed in the intervening years?

After editing the campaign the module is based on, just export it again (making sure to tick all the check boxes including those you ticked before) and copy the module over - while your campaign is *not* running. In your player campaign, you might need to do a "revert all changes" on the module after copying it over, if you made changes in the play campaign while it was open.

And you only see old posts on the subject because it really hasn't changed in years.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

How do I export a module from a campaign when it isn't running?

I've been using /export, then ticking all the bits I want. Is there another way to export a module from outside the campaign its been edited in?

You export from the module creation campaign while it's running. You make sure the play campaign is not running when you copy the module over.

Blog Entries
    Two things here, editing and copying...

If you export a module from anywhere, the only place you can update that module itself is in the campaign you used to create the module (i.e. the development campaign). You can not edit the module when it is opened in a different campaign. The module is a single zip file that can be copied, emailed, etc and used in multiple campaigns.

You can copy a campaign folder between multiple installations of FG. In this case you can update the "campaign" anywhere, but each copy or instance is unique when you do this. So to keep them "sync'd" you have to copy and replace.

Hopefully that helps clear up any remaining confusion

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks!

Not going away till this evening so putting off trying this out.

So testing my understanding;
    - Copy and paste the campaign folder (windows explorer) from my desktop to the same place on my laptop.
    - Copy over the .mod file as if adding any module to the laptop. (Without the campaign running).
    - Open the mod in the campaign, the one from the copied folder from my desktop.
    - Profit! (Edit freely)

Then back the other way when I want to move back into my desktop.

This way the module doesn’t end up in fragments.

A little convoluted but cloud storage will make keeping the two files/folders up to date on both devices easy enough.

I presume this is some form of copyright protection.

Do my steps sound right?

You only need the play campaign open when you're playing.

Copy the design campaign over to your laptop.
    Open the design campaign on your laptop, edit as you will.
    Just before you're going to play, open the design campaign on your laptop and export everything as a module.
    Copy the module to your desktop while FG is not running.

Open the play campaign on your desktop when you're ready to play.
    Make sure the module is open in your play campaign and do a "revert changes" to force FG to re-read the module.

Play.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbadine View Post
    A little convoluted but cloud storage will make keeping the two files/folders up to date on both devices easy enough.
    As long as you are not placing the FG Data folder on the cloud and allow it to be sync'd while FG is running. That causes known corruption issues.
    I presume this is some form of copyright protection.
    No, it's really an architecture decision made long ago that now has these impacts. Or atleast that's my uninformed opinion

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Good safety tip, thanks!

And all transferred over, thanks for the help folks.

Thread Information