5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Resuming a campaign on a previously used computer

I have a short term need to run a game from my laptop. I'm pretty sure I've figured how to do that that out from previous posts here.

Now, this may be a really, really dumb question, but when I resume playing on my desktop, do I simply REPLACE the whole campaign folder with the one I generated while running the game on my laptop? I don't want to screw up nearly 3 years worth of campaign!

Thanks!

Find the folder (within the campaigns folder) for your specific campaign and copy that folder to the campaigns folder on the other machine. So if your campaign was called soundave's game you will find a folder within the campaigns folder called soundave's game. Just copy soundave's game folder to the other machine and paste it into the campaigns folder in FGData. No need to copy the entire campaigns folder otherwise you will replace everything in that folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Right. So when I go BACK to the regular desktop, I am replacing the folder that is there (which will be named the same thing), yes? Because it will have newer data. Will I be prompted? I just want to be sure I'm not losing anything in the move back and forth.

Thanks again!

I imagine windows will pop up with something saying this file already exists when you copy/paste over a file that is already there. But if you mean will FG prompt you then no. It can't know that you have changed data for the campaign on another computer; so it will accept whatever is in the campaign folder on whatever machine you load up that campaign. Short answer is yes, copy the folder back into the desktop from the laptop to update the campaign in the desktop.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

OK, that's what I figured. Nervous Nelly here, I appreciate the support.

If you have any doubts at all; before you do anything zip up the campaigns folder and keep it in a safe place. That way if anything goes wrong you have a backup to fall back on.

Always backup, and then backup your backup.

And if those fail, call the NSA and ask for their backup of your system.

Thread Information