DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Unable to see PC, post to chat and exit game

Hi, I have many issues once I join a game

My DM is using an Ultimate version of FG 3.3.7
    I connect using a free version (3.3.7 on windows 10 on a, less than a year old, gaming PC)

We're running a Starfinder campain
    When I join the game, I make sure to load the proper Modules

Sometimes(rarely) when I connect I can see all the PC characters, other times I see only one or two out of four
    If I close the PC window and re-open it, I don't see any characters anymore
    All other players in our game see all the PC characters

I tried to exit the game "cleanly" by right-click exit-game
    But when I try to log back in, it says my user is already in use
    I have to use a different log-in or my DM has to kick my previous user out

I've cleared the cache and re-tried multiple times
    I uninstalled FG multiple times
    Deleted all folders and cache
    I've even deleted the registry keys

I've tried to join the game using either "FG on Steam" or "FG the windows app"
    Same problems...

Oddly, sometimes I can log into the game and actually see my character
    I can select it and make a few rolls and play with it
    But even then, at some point it stops taking my input, even the chat windows doesn't work anymore
    I've watched to see if I got a "logged out" message maybe, I remember seeing those, but that's not it
    I still receive stuff when the DM posts new maps, etc.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

When you join a game you will only be able to select from characters that you 'own' or are not 'owned' by someone else. For example if there are 4 characters in a game and three players join and select a character; if you are the last to join then you will only see one. If someone takes a character and then drops it, it will still be owned by that player and the DM will need to clear ownership before you will be able to see it. Similarly if you logged in last time as 'Bob' and then the next time logged in as 'Bob2' then you will not see your character because you are logging in as a different person as far as FG is concerned.

Your other issues sound to me like either you have a patchy network connection or your antivirus software is interfering or you have some flood protection or parental control settings on your router which is limiting your connection.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, I do know about the visibility of characters and ownership
    That's unfortunately not it, the DM made sure my character was visible and not owned by anyone else
    He kicked my previous user out and freed the PC
    Still I couldn't see it

But you raise a good point about the anti-virus
    The network shouldn't be an issue but I'll check it out

Thanks!

When you rejoin a game there could be some delay whilst your and your DMs computer sync up again, so there could be a few moments before characters appear. Usually all you would need to do is close the selection window and then open the window again from the PCs button.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Other than what Mr Z said, make sure when you exit you give it a minute or two before rejoining, and then give FG some time to establish the connection and update everthing before assuming you can't see the PC's etc. Depending upon the network of both yours and his, it can take a minute or so.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks,

I did wait and try again later to open the PC window, no effect
    I also waited before rejoining, sometimes hours later, same problem...

I've checked the anti-virus and every setting is allowed
    I can even run the test button to see if I can host a game and pass it no problem...

As for the network, I have had the same problem at two different locations using different networks (same internet provider though)

I don't want to go back to Roll20...

If the ISP was different at the two locations that would narrow it down to your machine. But with the same ISP that suggests possibly the same router? Have you looked at the router settings for flood protection, or the level of protection the router is set to or whether there are parental controls set. Any or all of these could be an issue.

As for AV, I include in that things like Maleware or Spyware as well. Finally if you use Windows Defender I have seen many cases where deleting the existing rule and creating a new one solves issues.

Removed Windows Defender rule and recreated it, no effect
    I've checked the router but no Parenting rule has been set on it, no flood protection either

The odd thing is that if I log in often enough, Bob1, Bob2, Bob3, eventually I see my PC and I can play for a bit
    We joke around that I have to be Bob14 for things to start to work, so somehow, sometimes, something works...

Blog Entries
    Stop changing your username. Delete your player cache, pick one name and stick with it. That's not the issue and is only complicating things (because among other things the GM will keep having to clean the PC's each time you change names)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Remember as well that when you log into a game there will be a delay whilst information gets downloaded. During that period it may seem like FG is non responsive. It might be worthwhile you just logging into your DM on your own and just letting things download for a while to see if that helps the situation any.

Thread Information