Starfinder Playlist

Connection Test failure

Hi folks,

Apologies up front for starting yet another failed connection test thread, but I've been trying/searching for weeks, but I'm no computer scientist and I think I need specifically tailored help

I'm using a simple set-up - Windows 8.1, using Windows Defender and Firewall. For the firewall I have Fantasy Grounds down as an app that can go through. I have a VPN but I have disabled it while trying out the connection test. I have configured my router (NetComm Wireless NF18ACV) so that it will port forward 1802. My personal IP is not changing - it is remaining static at 192.168.20.3.

I have seen on other threads people mention that one must make a rule in Windows Defender to allow the app to go through - do they mean Windows Firewall? I can't see anywhere to make rules in Windows Defender, except to create scanning exemptions.

Totally at a loss here, and totally over it. I purchased an ultimate license months ago, and I'd hate for that to be wasted money. Ready to throw the computer out the window - if anyone can help me avoid that, I'd be forever grateful!

Hewy

Hi damned, thanks for the swift reply! Apologies, I hadn't seen this post, let me run through all of it and follow those instructions, if it still doesn't work I'll shoot those seven answers across.

Ok, ran through everything, here we go:

1: LAN IP address - 192.168.20.3

2: First two sets of WAN IP - 119.17

3: Using wireless, not wired

4: Network displays as "Private Network"

5: Running Windows Defender anti-virus, as noted in OP. Unsure how to set exceptions.

6: tracert 8.8.8.8

7 : I have set up port forwarding (virtual servers) for my router for port 1802 (TCP). Afterwards, I read that port 3074 (UDP) should also be set up, so I did this too. Points to 192.168.20.3 in both cases.
    Last edited by littlehewy; January 17th, 2019 at 07:51.

Blog Entries
    Question 2: does FG and your router show the SAME WAN?External IP?

The second hop on your router is a possible/likely issue:
    NetRange: 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255
    CIDR: 100.64.0.0/10
    NetName: SHARED-ADDRESS-SPACE-RFCTBD-IANA-RESERVED
    NetHandle: NET-100-64-0-0-1
    Parent: NET100 (NET-100-0-0-0-0)
    NetType: IANA Special Use
    OriginAS:
    Organization: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
    RegDate: 2012-03-13
    Updated: 2016-04-11
    Comment: This block is used as Shared Address Space. Traffic from these addresses does not come from IANA. IANA has simply reserved these numbers in its database and does not use or operate them. We are not the source of activity you may see on logs or in e-mail records. Please refer to https://www.iana.org/abuse/
    Comment:
    Comment: Shared Address Space can only be used in Service Provider networks or on routing equipment that is able to do address translation across router interfaces when addresses are identical on two different interfaces.

Id love to know where you read UDP 3074 because it is not accurate.

So... the issue is likely:

1. The second hop and you should call your ISP and say "Im playing a game that requires me to port forward tcp 1802 to my computer - is that possible on this connection?"
    2. Windows Defender... Try create a New Rule, Port Rule, Accept From Any, TCP 1802
    3. A possible misconfiguration on one of the above steps...

Please try 1 and 2.
    If the ISP says it cant be done - then look at Hamachi or ZeroTier or one of the other Port Forwarding alternatives
    If the ISP says it should be working and its still not - if you PM me your email address i can do a remote screen share session with you and go thru it together.

Thanks so much damned, we have success!

Turns out my ISP had "implemented" whatever cgnat is, which basically blocks port forwarding. The tech support guy I spoke to fixed it in half an hour. tracert output now looks significantly different early on.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your help.

Also, this is where I was read UDP 3074 - https://portforward.com/english/appl...ds/default.htm

The site is given as a resource in the tutorial video by Dulux Oz about setting up FG. The tutorial video is a link on the FG launch page.

Thread Information