DICE PACKS BUNDLE

NPC Spellcaster Save DCs

Why do all the NPCs with spellcasting abilities have in their stat blocks for the NPC "...spellcasting ability is X" but do not calculate its DC in the NPC stat block?
    I have to add the NPC to the combat tracker, then click the offense symbol, then look for an ability with a save or attack roll to know what it is (or do the math in my head, which is also possible). I'd really like them to be calculated in the NPC stat block itself, and believe that it *used* to be but is no longer, and am curious (a) why this is and (b) if there's any odds that it will change in the future?

Blog Entries
    FG was changed a couple of revisions ago to automatically calculate DCs for NPCs. So a lot of the NPCs from sources still have the old wording in their spellcasting traits.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The NPCs never calculated the spell save or attacks, those were manually inserted. Spell saves etc are now computed by FG when the NPC is placed on the CT as LE says. If you add the spell save back in like it used to it will override this calculation. This is so that the DM can add their own spell saves in the trait should the NPC have something such as a magic item which added to such a save DC. Otherwise there is no need to have that information in the star block.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Just to let you know. The syntax needs to be correct and the auto calc doesn't really match the 5E MM NPC stat block. For instance, a CR 11 should have a DC of 17 (according to the NPC state block in the MM). Your auto calc score will get to a DC 16 with an 18 on the spellcasting attribute.

The syntax to overwrite should be
    (spell save DC XX, +X to hit on spell attacks)

just using (save DC XX) or (DC XX) will not overwrite the auto calc.

PooBah

The Spell save DC is 8 + Proficiency Bonus + spellcasting ability modifier. So a CR 11 NPC will have a spell save DC of 8+4+Spellcasting ability modifier whatever that is. A CR 11 Spellcaster won't necessarily have a Save DC of 17 unless their spellcasting ability is 20 (giving them a +5 modifier).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information