5E Character Create Playlist

REQUEST/SUGESTION: ELSE Conditional and Roll Effects

I think the automation of spells would be dramatically enhanced if we could get an "ELSE" conditional to effects. It would trigger if the previous conditions were not met. Also, i miss some effect to directly roll an attack or damage within the effect. A perfect example to both of these would be the D&D 5E spell "Toll the dead" (1d8 necrotic damage to enemies with full hit points and 1d12 to wounded enemies). It would be something like this:

IFT: Healthy; ROLLDMG: 1d8 necrotic ; ELSE; ROLLDMG: 1d12 necrotic;

What do you think?
    "A saint does what is right. A leader does what is necessary."

I was actually debating how writing this would go.
    Was planning on looking into this as an addition to my extension once/if I make the IF NOT extension more friendly with other extensions. I have an idea of how it may work, but I'm going to need more lessons in LUA.
    Else for now you may be able to use some creativity in effect use to accomplish this with two separate effect lines.
    Last edited by Berwind; April 8th, 2022 at 03:45.

Add suggestions to the wishlist (or vote if its already there). Link in my signature.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Add suggestions to the wishlist (or vote if its already there). Link in my signature.
    I've just done it (although i think this could be achievable more quickly by some extension.)

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=138542

Quote Originally Posted by Alanrockid View Post
    I've just done it (although i think this could be achievable more quickly by some extension.)

https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=138542
    This is on the front page, it includes everything in this thread on a more general approach.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135571

Vote here and leave a comment for the suggestion in this thread.

And what you are describing should be 90% doable with this extension.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ects-Extension

Healthy is a tag you can call on in 3.5/pathfinder, so I would guess the same is true for 5e.
    But I think you might need two effects for this to work.

You might be able to fudge it without extension now like this:
    Ift: wounded; dmgs: 2 necrotic
    Apply self, 1 roll 1 round
    Then roll spell damage 1d8

If he is wounded it will be 1d8+2 which statistically is the same as 1d12.
    Note: I am a pathfinder player, so I am not sure if the 5e rules would be 100% the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Svandal View Post
    This is on the front page, it includes everything in this thread on a more general approach.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135571

Vote here and leave a comment for the suggestion in this thread.

And what you are describing should be 90% doable with this extension.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ects-Extension

Healthy is a tag you can call on in 3.5/pathfinder, so I would guess the same is true for 5e.
    But I think you might need two effects for this to work.

You might be able to fudge it without extension now like this:
    Ift: wounded; dmgs: 2 necrotic
    Apply self, 1 roll 1 round
    Then roll spell damage 1d8

If he is wounded it will be 1d8+2 which statistically is the same as 1d12.
    Note: I am a pathfinder player, so I am not sure if the 5e rules would be 100% the same.
    The IFN - IFNT is a very cool idea, but it is not what i am talking about and would not do the same thing. The currently way FG deals with effects is: the moment a condition is not met, it ignores all the rest of the script, so i would be worth nothing to put something like: IFT: Healthy ; DMG: +1 ; IFNT: Healthy ; DMG: +2, as FG would just ignore everything if the target is not healthy.

I saw the Better Combat effects, it adds a lot of thing but i didnt saw nothing equivalent of what im asking. Care to explain?

About the "1d8+2" (i think you meant to say 1d8+4, because it's a d12). Not exactly the same thing... 1d12 range from 1-12, while 1d8+4 or 1d8+1d4 would range 5-12 and 2-12.

I use somethig that looks like that, but it is: IFT: wounded ; DMG: 1d5-1. That way, the additional damage would range from 0-4. But thats not the ideal way to do it...
    Last edited by Alanrockid; April 8th, 2022 at 22:51.

The IFN - IFNT is a very cool idea, but it is not what i am talking about and would not do the same thing. The currently way FG deals with effects is: the moment a condition is not met, it ignores all the rest of the script, so i would be worth nothing to put something like: IFT: Healthy ; DMG: +1 ; IFNT: Healthy ; DMG: +2, as FG would just ignore everything if the target is not healthy.

I saw the Better Combat effects, it adds a lot of thing but i didnt saw nothing equivalent of what im asking. Care to explain?

About the "1d8+2" (i think you meant to say 1d8+4, because it's a d12). Not exactly the same thing... 1d12 range from 1-12, while 1d8+4 or 1d8+1d4 would range 5-12 and 2-12.

I use somethig that looks like that, but it is: IFT: wounded ; DMG: 1d5-1. That way, the additional damage would range from 0-4. But thats not the ideal way to do it...
    I would recommend setting up IF and IFN as two separate effect lines until "else" functionality is added.
    IFNT: wounded; DMG: 1d8
    IFT: wounded; DMG: 1d12

Should effectively function as
    IFT: wounded; DMG: 1d12; ELSE; DMG: 1d8;

It's messier since it would be more individual effect lines on a single creature, but that's a current available workaround.

Quick side note about IF NOT - Untrue Effects extension: with the manner that it is coded, it may not play nice with some extensions, so it may not be a fantastic option until improvements are made.
    Last edited by Berwind; April 9th, 2022 at 04:01.

I dont think you see the large picture, the idea I linked to was to get more logical operators for effects. Else is a logical operator.

No I meant 1d8+2. That is statistically the same as 1d12 on average, but it has not the same range. Both are average 6.5.

Also look at berwinds suggestion. You can also do two effects without the not statement.
    And with better combat effects you can apply damage when the effect is added with DMGA.
    IFT: healthy; DMGA: 1d8
    IFT: wounded; DMGA: 1d12

I think this will work, apply both to target, one should work and not the other, but I will not guarantee this since I have not tried this.

Tried that already... technically it works, but it always leave one of the effects on the character. Not the ideal, as this may interfere with other spells/actions done at the same turn.

Ex.: A sorcerer uses his sorcery points to cast Toll the Dead as a bonus action. The target is not wounded yet, so if he hits it, the effect with states "IFT: Wounded or IFNT: Healthy" would remain in him. As his action, the sorcerer now attacks with his quarterstaff and hits. The remaining effect would trigger and the sorcerer would inflict 1d12 damage that should not exist.
    Last edited by Alanrockid; April 9th, 2022 at 15:49.

Thread Information