STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Hi-ho all from Indy!

You have to give us some time to get things posted, as the hotel's "free" wireless sort of blows, and we're at the convention all for most of the day. When I get a decent connection I will post some pics from the show, including out booth. We are demo'ing the current release, Snikle.

Ville, Tero and I demo'ed FG all day today, and had a lot of interested people stop by. I'm sure we'll have more as the con rolls on.

I've been speaking to the SW boys about the next update, and either they or I will post something before the end of the weekend.

Off to dinner! More soon guys!!

If that wasn't a tease I dunno what is...

Almost worse than my gf...*grumble*

I want info now

Seriously - just hope you guys have a good time and enlighten the gamin world about our little toy we like to play with Now go beat the RPGA over the head and get them to allow the Eberron Living Campaigns to be played online!
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Yeah I have to say, I do not understand all the cloak and dagger going on. Oh well, guess that is why they are the developers.
    • snikle •
    . .lapsus calumni. .

Nothing "cloak and dagger" at all.

From what the guys are telling me, they are integrating a lot of tools to customize FG, as well as take care of some of the minor bugs that have been floating around. This is taking some time, as they have had to redesign whole aspects of FG to do some of the things that everyone has been asking for over the past year. There is a lot that goes into a program like FG already, and to customize it even more is not a simple task.

When the time comes to announce what is going to be done in the next upgrade/version, then it will come out "exactly" what that will all encompass. Posting "when is the upgrade coming" every other day is not going to speed along the process guys, and frankly I will say that the "are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet" ... mentality is starting to get old. Please, have some patience.

Personally, after talking to people this weekend there are more than enough buyers of FG (several have stopped to say hello) that are extremely happy with how FG works right now when compared to other programs --- and frankly so am I. We are *crushing* everyone else here at the show (one guy headed back over the Screen Monkey to try and get his money back in fact), and not one person we'v talked to has had anything bad to say about the software.

As programmers SW wants to put out a product that is going to work, and work correctly -- and I can't disagree with that mindset at all. Rushing anything to release is just going to cause more problems (and even more complaining from the community) in the long run, and in addition will be bad for business. When Ville and Tero are ready they will post more detailed information on the upgrade to the forums for everyone to digest. Until that time, as community supporters of the software I would hope that everyone would trust their judgement in this and continue to support FG 100%.

... now, I'm off to the Code Monkey party ... Oik!

First he teases about bein at Gen Con, and sharin a booth with the FG guys...

Now he teases about goin drinkin...

Jerk

JK And I agree with everythin you pointed out Thore - I for one don't really care when the new patch comes out - yah there's LOTS I wanna do when it does, but I'm not in any real panic as yet. The program works 99% of the time - and the only time I've ever had crashes has been when I do somethin stupid like open other windows at the same time.

All I can say is thanks for the word up, and at least we know they ARE workin on it
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Current version has been working GREAT for my group.
    I am sure the newer version will be even better,and if waiting a while longer for it makes it better then that's fine with me.

To be honest, while there are a few "where the hell is it?" posts, I think the majority of people are just frustrated by the lack of communication with the community. I'm definitely one of those people who think FG does a great job as it stands now. I've been able to run a campaign with very little trouble, but when you give dates and then those dates pass with no word...well, that's annoying. A lot of people, myself included, kind of put off developing rulesets or custom content because the new version was a month or two away, so we thought.

I dunno, I certainly would rather wait and get a more robust product in the end, but there must be some happy middle ground between a weekly developer's blog and an information blackout.

My 2 cents, anyway. Glad to hear the team is bitch-slapping the competition - they've certainly got a great product imo.

I am one who has just started using FG, we have played 2 sessions so far, many things work well, others need help.

Our Main issues so far
    Token Box: too small, no list option

Copy and Paste is another

Also I do not want to put a lot of work in to FG atm because the big update was/is soon.

With hopes that things will work eaiser and better.

I understood Gen Con was the time it was to be released, some of the defensive tones in this topic worries me, for more than one reason.

All most folks seem to really want is a straight answer on what is happening.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Thore_Ironrock
    When the time comes to announce what is going to be done in the next upgrade/version, then it will come out "exactly" what that will all encompass. Posting "when is the upgrade coming" every other day is not going to speed along the process guys, and frankly I will say that the "are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet" ... mentality is starting to get old. Please, have some patience.

I take offense at this post. I really don't think the amount of posts that inquire about that status of FG2.0 is nearly what you make it out to be. Then to paint all of these posts as imbecilic and whiny is not only unfair to the FG community but is also unprofessional. Believe it or not, when you post on a forum with your name and company information, you are representing your company.

First, the number of posts are nothing compared to a AAA game title's message board or MS Vista's. The posts that I see are usually someone once a week who wants just a small update from the company to validate that FG 2.0 is in fact coming out. A lot of people are waiting to create custom rulesets and other add-ons like some of the above posters have explained. Other people just have an innocent, enthusiastic interest in when the product is coming out because they love the product. However when "Spring 2006" rolls around and nothing is said and no product is delivered, they get concerned.

When Ged posts from the ivory tower and says "Yeah, its still coming out" You dont see people posting "U SUXOOORR! LAIR!" They are just happy to know that there still is active development or at least some glimmer of hope. When an event such as Gencon rolls around naturally people are going to be excited and want to know if Gencon has any news because there isnt much forthcoming elsewhere. In fact Smite Works is extraordinarily lucky to have a user base who is so supportive and appreciative. So for you to say that it is "getting old" is tantamount to a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Thore_Ironrock
    As programmers SW wants to put out a product that is going to work, and work correctly -- and I can't disagree with that mindset at all. Rushing anything to release is just going to cause more problems (and even more complaining from the community) in the long run, and in addition will be bad for business. When Ville and Tero are ready they will post more detailed information on the upgrade to the forums for everyone to digest. Until that time, as community supporters of the software I would hope that everyone would trust their judgement in this and continue to support FG 100%.
    Absolutely not. I am a software developer, i.e. I write code and GUI's for people and they pay me for that service. They become my customers. I work in an industry where there are military colonels that want certain programs on a certain date. I am accountable to them and believe me, when top brass wants something and you miss their milestones (which always happens in software to an extent) it's not fun explaining that the database had to be rebuilt or the .NET framework has a bug or a control bought from a vendor isnt up to spec.

But that's my job and my work ethic. When I hired in, I expected to be held to a certain standard. I can't tell my customer, "Relax. When I feel ready, I will tell you whats going on. Oh and by the way, youre getting annoying." I'm not calling for SW to be audited or to post UML documents or have an 800 number that will tell us up to the hour status of how each class is being coded. In fact if SW wants to stonewall thats fine, it's their ethic and way of doing business.

-FINE-

But for the fans worldwide (aka customers and POTENTIAL customers) who you portrayed as acting like spoiled children, I think you owe them an apology. Like I said before you are acting as a company representative for Digital Adventures, LLC and if that's Digital Adventures, LLC's company line then you might want to take some extension courses in Public Relations and marketing. If that's the image you want of your company then that's fine too just dont expect any business from me.

Not angry, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeybear

I take offense at this post. I really don't think the amount of posts that inquire about that status of FG2.0 is nearly what you make it out to be. Then to paint all of these posts as imbecilic and whiny is not only unfair to the FG community but is also unprofessional. Believe it or not, when you post on a forum with your name and company information, you are representing your company.

First, the number of posts are nothing compared to a AAA game title's message board or MS Vista's. The posts that I see are usually someone once a week who wants just a small update from the company to validate that FG 2.0 is in fact coming out. A lot of people are waiting to create custom rulesets and other add-ons like some of the above posters have explained. Other people just have an innocent, enthusiastic interest in when the product is coming out because they love the product. However when "Spring 2006" rolls around and nothing is said and no product is delivered, they get concerned.

When Ged posts from the ivory tower and says "Yeah, its still coming out" You dont see people posting "U SUXOOORR! LAIR!" They are just happy to know that there still is active development or at least some glimmer of hope. When an event such as Gencon rolls around naturally people are going to be excited and want to know if Gencon has any news because there isnt much forthcoming elsewhere. In fact Smite Works is extraordinarily lucky to have a user base who is so supportive and appreciative. So for you to say that it is "getting old" is tantamount to a slap in the face.

Absolutely not. I am a software developer, i.e. I write code and GUI's for people and they pay me for that service. They become my customers. I work in an industry where there are military colonels that want certain programs on a certain date. I am accountable to them and believe me, when top brass wants something and you miss their milestones (which always happens in software to an extent) it's not fun explaining that the database had to be rebuilt or the .NET framework has a bug or a control bought from a vendor isnt up to spec.

But that's my job and my work ethic. When I hired in, I expected to be held to a certain standard. I can't tell my customer, "Relax. When I feel ready, I will tell you whats going on. Oh and by the way, youre getting annoying." I'm not calling for SW to be audited or to post UML documents or have an 800 number that will tell us up to the hour status of how each class is being coded. In fact if SW wants to stonewall thats fine, it's their ethic and way of doing business.

-FINE-

But for the fans worldwide (aka customers and POTENTIAL customers) who you portrayed as acting like spoiled children, I think you owe them an apology. Like I said before you are acting as a company representative for Digital Adventures, LLC and if that's Digital Adventures, LLC's company line then you might want to take some extension courses in Public Relations and marketing. If that's the image you want of your company then that's fine too just dont expect any business from me.

Not angry, just saying.
    Couple of things here.

1) While I applaud the fact that you are a software designer, and you do this for a living, I do not agree with you attacking Thore. Believe it or not, I think the statement that Thore made was more tongue in cheek than anything else. What I take issue with is you saying in one breath that Thore is unprofessional, then slamming him with a statement like " you might want to take some extension courses in Public Relations and marketing". Not only is it condescending of you to say so, but it looks like you could take your own advice. Not angry; Just saying.

2) Comparing the release of FG 2.0 to Vista, or another AAA game is like comapring a jackhammer to a sledgehammer. Both do the same thing, but they are different. FG fills a niche, and Vista will fill something bigger than that. Also, Vista will probably cost around 400$ to run a computer. FG will still cost what it does, and will not be required to run a computer. So your comparison is a little flawed. Not angry; Just Saying.

3) I can see by the number of posts that you are quite new here. You probably have not have to read EVERY single day "When is the new FG coming out?????". You also were not there when 1.04 came out, and there were a few bugs to be hammered out. You were not through the 6 incarnations of the current patch either. The consensus of the FG community is that we would rather see a patch come out that works (Mostly) than have to go through that again. You are new here, so I can see you not remembering the history there. Search is your friend. Not angry; Just saying.

4) There has been reports to what is going on with FG, and your statement alluding to an "Ivory Tower" is also condescending. Again, search is your friend. Read through the previous posts, and you will see that they are working hard on the new patch, and the next GEN of FG will be different, and the Devs need to make sure that the new incarnation does not break anyone's rulesets, or campaigns. Not angry; Just saying.

Finally, don't take this as an attack on you, I just feel that thinking things through before you post will prevent the dirty boot taste in your mouth. I have nothing but good things to say about Thore, and his company. They are bringing the products to FG that are cool. Iron Heroes? Cool. AE? Cool. Ptolus?? That would be cool.

Cheers,

Sandeman

Not anrgry; Just saying.
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Thread Information