Starfinder Playlist

Linking Information to Other Players in Chat Box Issue

Had an issue in our first campaign with players trying to share information in the chat box. For example, one player wanted to share the information for the "Bane" spell, and they did so by dragging and dropping the shield icon into the chat box. One other player was able to click the shield and read the information about the spell, but the other two players got a message along the lines of "Location Unknown/Record Cannot Be Found." The Bane spell is in the Player's Handbook, and they all had that particular book loaded.

Thanks for the help!

Blog Entries
    Welcome chickenlittle
    Players can only share data they own - which is pretty much just Notes (they own charsheet too but there is no sharing option on that).
    The GM can reshare the link but the player cant...

Hi skyisfalling welcome to FG

Players generally can't share information unless it is something that they have created, and the only thing they can really create are notes.

When a player drags something into chat all they are doing is creating a link to the information; they aren't sharing the information as such. I suspect (though I'm not sure about this) that if the player created a character using the DMs shared PHB then if the player drags a spell into chat any other player who also created the character using the DMs shared PHB could open that link and view the information. If, however, players created their characters using their own copy of the PHB then they would not be able to view the information since the link is not pointing to a resource that they used.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hi skyisfalling welcome to FG

Players generally can't share information unless it is something that they have created, and the only thing they can really create are notes.

When a player drags something into chat all they are doing is creating a link to the information; they aren't sharing the information as such. I suspect (though I'm not sure about this) that if the player created a character using the DMs shared PHB then if the player drags a spell into chat any other player who also created the character using the DMs shared PHB could open that link and view the information. If, however, players created their characters using their own copy of the PHB then they would not be able to view the information since the link is not pointing to a resource that they used.
    We've got the setup where myself (the DM) has the top tier account, on which I bought all the books. The players all have free accounts, and they take advantage of the sharing feature. Therefore, I would assume that anything they touch on FG is through my giving them access to it?

Sorry for the late reply! I do appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by skyisfalling View Post
    We've got the setup where myself (the DM) has the top tier account, on which I bought all the books. The players all have free accounts, and they take advantage of the sharing feature. Therefore, I would assume that anything they touch on FG is through my giving them access to it?

Sorry for the late reply! I do appreciate the help!
    I don't know; I was just guessing since my players never share anything so I've not seen it in action. I also assumed from what you said originally that all of your players had their own PHB rather than all accessing your shared one. I can't say why only one player was able to click the info and the others could not. AFAIK none of them should have been able to see anything from such a link. So I guessed at why one of them might see it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

As has been mentioned, it all depends on where the link was dragged from. If it was dragged from a library/campaign data entry, then only those who have access to those entries (the module open, the GM shared the data, etc.) would be able to open the link.

If the link was dragged from a PC sheet, then only the owning player, and the GM, can see the data for most data records (assuming D&D 5E here - class, background and race can be shared OK as these are direct links to the source data). When a spell is added to a PC a copy of the data is made in the PC record - it is not linked to the original source spell (usually from the PHB or other player module) and so the data is owned by the owning player only.

Hence when a spell from a PC sheet is linked in chat, only the owning player (and the GM) can open the link and view the data, unless it has been specifically shared - for example, the player can right-click within a spell window and select "Share" to allow everyone who is currently connect to view the spell record.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information