FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Neo-Vancian Casting

I'm starting a new campaign with Pathfinder 2, but me and my players all hate classic Vancian spellcasting, so I houseruled it away in favor of a neo-Vancian system like 5th Edition. Is there at least a workaround to make that work in Fantasy Grounds? So that players choose a number of spells to prepare and have avaliable but the spells themselves aren't expended on casting, only the spell slot?

Set to spontaneous spellcasting?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The thing is, I needed a Spontaneous Casting that lets the player mark some of the spells as prepared to be used for that day, and then only those appear when they switch to Combat, not the entire list. Exactly like a Wizard in DnD 5e, basically. I don't think that's possible with how Spontaneous Casters work in the PF2 ruleset.

I'll probably have my players create one prepared spellcasting class to mark which spells are prepared and one spontaneous class with just the spell slots, unless there is and easier way that I'm missing.

There's nothing that auto-checks of spell uses, you need to do that manually, so you can pretty much do what you want to track it.

A couple of things I can think of:

1) Use prepared casting and "prepare" each spell the number of slots you have for that spell level - then the level header can keep track of how many have been "cast" for that level, and if you use "combat" mode, the level will disappear when you reach the number of uses defined for the level.
    2) Add a "00 - Spell slot uses" dummy spell (or some similar name so it's at the top of the spell list for the level) and prepare that the number of slots you have. Prepare the other spells as normal (one "check" to indicate you have it prepared) and then track the uses with the dummy spell.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Actually what you're describing is an Arcanist in Pathfinder first edition.

I honestly don't like either vancian system at all. I prefer a spell pts system that goes with my world better. Anyway to make that work?

Quote Originally Posted by shadelon View Post
    I honestly don't like either vancian system at all. I prefer a spell pts system that goes with my world better. Anyway to make that work?
    I specifically only coded to support what was in the playtest and I removed the 3.5E psionic (points based) casting as it was messing with the powers implementation and wasn't relevant to the playtest.

Could you use powers, as this is spell points based?

I could if I could rename labels easily and have separate spots for it versus the powers.

I actually am going to have to house rule in the psionics cause my setting uses that too.

Quote Originally Posted by shadelon View Post
    I could if I could rename labels easily and have separate spots for it versus the powers.
    You can have a separate spot for this - just create another power class and call it what you want. You can multiple spell and power classes on the same PC sheet.

You can change the labels with an extension. However, there's probably only one label to change - the "powers" label on the power/spell header/divider. You can just ignore that.

Thread Information