DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Thank you Trenloe. That is very helpful but it does still leave me wanting a pretty little categorized table with pricing and links to the individual vehicles for my players to look through. I am glad they are there. I just wish it was a little more integrated like the items lists.

In general I just wish there was the ability to create new item tables and tabs. It seems like a relatively easy function to incorporate for neat freaks like me lol.

Hell with that in mind it would also be cool if the item tabs were editable so that you could write out your own features to the item

e.g

Vehicle name:
    Hitpoints:
    Hard Points:
    AC:
    Speed:
    Acceleration:
    Movement Type:
    Load Capacity:

Etc..

Then I could fill out my own customized items.
    Last edited by Aphelion; January 3rd, 2019 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
    Thank you Trenloe. That is very helpful but it does still leave me wanting a pretty little categorized table with pricing and links to the individual vehicles for my players to look through. I am glad they are there. I just wish it was a little more integrated like the items lists.
    The group lists attached to buttons are defined in a ruleset. You can write an extension to do your own.

Or, add a request to the FG wish list.

Hell with that in mind it would also be cool if the item tabs were editable so that you could write out your own features to the item

e.g

Vehicle name:
    Hitpoints:
    Hard Points:
    AC:
    Speed:
    Acceleration:
    Movement Type:
    Load Capacity:

Etc..

Then I could fill out my own customized items.
    Item records are based off the individual RPG system used, and the fields used in records from those RPGs systems. Individual records fields need to be defined within the ruleset with a specific purpose. If you just add new fields without any programming behind them, then they are just being displayed for informational purposes only. If you want to add data to items for informational purposes, then you can add then into the description field (the last field) - this is a formatted text control, so you can use formatting to make it look nicer. Otherwise, if you want to define custom fields, and then actually use those for something in the ruleset, you'll need to write code (an extensions) for that.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks again Trenloe! Ya, I'm a few steps into retarded when it comes to writing code. I think my eyes started glazing and I started drooling just from what AlphaDecay was trying to show me. I might see if I could get some stuff in the wish list. I don't think the record fields issue would be too big of a problem. Certain things like Hitpoints, AC, Toughness, etc... could be defined through the ruleset but then other things like speed, acceleration, load, etc... are technically only for informational purposes anyway. Who knows though. Maybe it would be much harder to incorporate than what I'm thinking. I guess I'll see. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    Just from a super-quick Google it looks like 99% of the vehicles in Pathfinder are contained in Ultimate Combat so we may have to wait for someone to sign up to adapt that for Fantasy Grounds. (Don't look at me, I have three remaining Player Companions then I will probably bow out of doing Pathfinder projects.) That said, even Ultimate Combat does not have the 'equipment lists' we see for, well, equipment which the FG lists try to duplicate. So whomever adapts Ultimate Combat will likely just do either a reference_list or more likely a reference_groupedlist to group them into Air, Land and Water vehicles.

I do kinda question having them under NPCs though; but maybe there was a good reason for that decision back then? I've never had vehicles in play during PFS games yet to see if there's any specific reason for it yet. Should the 'dog sled' in the Core Rulebook be considered a vehicle?

At the time; Vehicles had many characteristics similar to NPCs, and it allowed them to be added to tracker.

You gotta stop playing the looking on the rear view mirror game.

Just go with the system in place, and take advantage of new stuff when you can. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Cheers,
    JPG

I'm sure they did it that way so vehicles could be added to the combat tracker. I don't see why they couldn't still be counted as an npc while also being linked to the items list though... Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    At the time; Vehicles had many characteristics similar to NPCs, and it allowed them to be added to tracker.

You gotta stop playing the looking on the rear view mirror game.

Just go with the system in place, and take advantage of new stuff when you can. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Cheers,
    JPG
    I kinda have to disagree with you there Moon Wizard. If I looked at things like that in my business then I would go out of business relatively quick. Part of being a successful business entity is indeed listening to your customers and modifying accordingly. I'm not saying that what I am suggesting is necessarily worthy of change but overall I think that philosophy is a failing one and one that could see some other development company come forward and surpass FG if that wasn't their company policy as well. I personally can't see why any company wouldn't always want to better their product and make it more adaptable and customizable.
    Last edited by Aphelion; January 3rd, 2019 at 21:30.

Lol, I guess there's some missing context. Talyn has been doing a lot of revamping of content lately to use the latest features; and I was simply making a poke at him because he's always pushing for more.

On the features side, we have a lot of priorities to juggle in terms of what makes the best sense to spend time on. Additionally, what some people think of as minor changes actually have far reaching impacts when you consider that we have 10+ years worth of DLC and community content that people assume will continue to work without hiccup. Also, even if we think something would make a good improvement, it's not always a good business decision based on the improvement vs. amount of work needed; not to mention that not everyone agrees on what is an improvement.

Talyn is good at asking the questions anew; while I focus on all the compound effects across our DLC library, store system, rulesets, and client software. It's a balance.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I kinda have to disagree with you there Moon Wizard. If I looked at things like that in my business then I would go out of business relatively quick. Part of being a successful business entity is indeed listening to your customers and modifying accordingly. I'm not saying that what I am suggesting is necessarily worthy of change but overall I think that philosophy is a failing one and one that could see some other development company come forward and surpass FG if that wasn't their company policy as well. I personally can't see why any company wouldn't always want to better their product and make it more adaptable and customizable.
    As you can see the forums are littered with hundreds and hundreds of requests for Vehicles as a separate entry and... oh hang on...
    Running a successful business is a lot more involved than investing coding hours on random requests...

In general I just wish there was the ability to create new item tables and tabs. It seems like a relatively easy function to incorporate for neat freaks like me lol.
    combined with

I think my eyes started glazing and I started drooling just from what AlphaDecay was trying to show me.
    makes for a compelling case...

Non programmers always think that their changes/improvements would be very easy to implement. Even programmers of another system sometimes think they know how easy something would be to do in someone elses system. This has always been the way and I suspect always will be.

Im not saying you are wrong... there is just far more to things than "it should be simple" and "you should do it".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Lol, I guess there's some missing context. Talyn has been doing a lot of revamping of content lately to use the latest features; and I was simply making a poke at him because he's always pushing for more.

On the features side, we have a lot of priorities to juggle in terms of what makes the best sense to spend time on. Additionally, what some people think of as minor changes actually have far reaching impacts when you consider that we have 10+ years worth of DLC and community content that people assume will continue to work without hiccup. Also, even if we think something would make a good improvement, it's not always a good business decision based on the improvement vs. amount of work needed; not to mention that not everyone agrees on what is an improvement.

Talyn is good at asking the questions anew; while I focus on all the compound effects across our DLC library, store system, rulesets, and client software. It's a balance.

Regards,
    JPG
    Oh just admit it, I'm a huge pain in your ***!

But yes, context is king. As MW stated, in addition to doing new content I've spent the last year doing a TON of remastering and updating older content that had little to no features to adding as many of the new features as I can, as well as taking up a considerable amount of his time in email conversations. I've only been around for two years (right? or has it been longer?) so I wasn't around for the Why Things Are This Way™ such as vehicles being NPCs back in the day.

I also often—such as this morning—leap without looking. I knew damn well I'd seen vehicles in PFRPG somewhere but I don't get to actually play PFRPG often enough to remember where, and instead of making my coffee and leaving things alone, I jumped right in and, well... here we are.

Thread Information