DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Bloodright, please don't think I'm trying to dump on you. I'm not. I think a big part of this is that they are different games and 5e is somewhat less (looking for a good adjective) involved that Starfinder or Pathfinder. That's part of the quick appeal of 5e. I can understand it and won't argue it. However, coming from ADnD and Traveller with no "automation" (unless you count what might have been done with a TRS-80 or a Commodore 64), everything was manual. Have you played any eyeball 5e? Or has it all been through FG? Just wondering as that may be part of what's setting your expectations. I've found Starfinder to be a fun, rich, deep game very similar to what I've been used to. FG creates the tabletop that allows me to play without being in the same room as other players. I guess that's all I expected and it certainly suits that purpose. It's not a game in itself....it's just a venue that allows me to play without being in the same physical space as the other players. FWIW, my experience with starship combat in SF hasn't been any different than what I've experienced in eyeball games. We're all still learning the rules and it's new, so it takes time to work through it. We had placement and facing on the map and everything else was resolved just like an eyeball game.
    Flyteach

I might add that Starfinder really just came out relatively recently and is still being actively improved. Also remember that 5E is about half the market for the tabletop games so it is likely that it gets a higher level of support, as well (more developers, more community development volunteers, etc.). There are times I groan in my Starfinder game but then I just remember that improvements are constantly being added and it's just a matter of patience
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

Blah,

your coding looks great, but the abilities need to be set in the race/classes. so you are basically putting a bandaid on the issue. I have already downloaded your coding, and thank you for that.. but I will be coding it directly into the classes and feats directly, vice putting it as a spell on a character sheet. I want my players to be able to have access to everything directly from the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyteach View Post
    Bloodright, please don't think I'm trying to dump on you. I'm not. I think a big part of this is that they are different games and 5e is somewhat less (looking for a good adjective) involved that Starfinder or Pathfinder. That's part of the quick appeal of 5e. I can understand it and won't argue it. However, coming from ADnD and Traveller with no "automation" (unless you count what might have been done with a TRS-80 or a Commodore 64), everything was manual. Have you played any eyeball 5e? Or has it all been through FG? Just wondering as that may be part of what's setting your expectations. I've found Starfinder to be a fun, rich, deep game very similar to what I've been used to. FG creates the tabletop that allows me to play without being in the same room as other players. I guess that's all I expected and it certainly suits that purpose. It's not a game in itself....it's just a venue that allows me to play without being in the same physical space as the other players. FWIW, my experience with starship combat in SF hasn't been any different than what I've experienced in eyeball games. We're all still learning the rules and it's new, so it takes time to work through it. We had placement and facing on the map and everything else was resolved just like an eyeball game.
    Flyteach
    I understand what you are saying, and i have played pen and paper games all the way back to 1st edition dnd. played many others the same way. but if i am going to use a VTT, and paid as much as i had.. i would expect a certain level of automation.

Blog Entries
    There is a significant level of automation.
    This does not extend to Starships though.

No ruleset (bar Celestians AD&D and that has limited available content - c'mon Wizards!) has the automation or is likely to, of 5E.
    2/3rds of all games played are played on 5E. Its twice the size of every other system combined.
    The reality is it will get more coding effort and support than other rulesets.

If you are not happy with a (Fantasy Grounds Store) purchase you can request a refund via email within 30days.
    From Steam it has to follow their refund policies.

many of the mystic spells were not coded correctly, and were still unlocked, that is what started this bit of frustration. I was working with a friend to test out the combat system and work out the kinks with character creation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodright View Post
    many of the mystic spells were not coded correctly, and were still unlocked, that is what started this bit of frustration. I was working with a friend to test out the combat system and work out the kinks with character creation.
    There is a StarFinder bug thread and the current Dev is very responsive to anything posted in there.
    I know he is working on the system pretty much every day.

He will appreciate (deep down) anything you report to him.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I am going to poke around with the classes and themes, and see if i can find specifics of things that need fixing. If I can fix them myself, then i will. was hoping for 3rd party mods that would have already had fixes for some of these.

ok, I think i see the problem...

The person that made Starfinder just copied Pathfinder's system, and then tried to tailor it to starfinder.. the issue is, there are alot of abilities and flexibility that you do not have in the pathfinder software. one specific item, is the lack of putting an ability in the Action tab and configuring it for play. while in DnD 5e, you can add abilities to the Action tab and configure them for use in combat with full effects. The pathfinder system forces the abilities to be either a spell or a weapon, no in between. This is what has confused me the most about SF. I never played pathfinder on FG, and after seeing all this, I doubt i would ever do so. this limitation of flexibility restricts the system so much, that it prevents the users from actually using FG as it is intended.

Starfinder is based on Pathfinder/DnD 3.5, not DnD 5e. Most rulesets are not as feature rich as the 5e ruleset, either.

Thread Information