FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

How do you guys even play this?

Hi everyone!

I just recently picked up Starfinder for FG, and I have been running and playing in DnD 5e on FG for awhile now.

This system seems almost unplayable on FG. The math and extra calculations makes using it on FG almost a chore. Many of the skills and spells are not even locked and have the coding completed. So, I am curious how everyone is able to play this? Did you guys go through and manually change and code the different effects? Please, I really want to enjoy this system.

Hi Bloodright,
    I also bought the FG version for Starfinder, GM a few games . Spells were not used in my games and I didn't notice too much missing otherwise. But the starship combat is horrendous as there is NO starship combat tracker to automatically play the combat. I know lots of people will say I do this or that for starship combat but... I paid for the whole thing and its still incomplete . I stopped buying any further SF books, modules and so forth , stopped playing it altogether just because of that . To me its not worth the money to invest in a vtt version if you still have to do some with pen and paper.. Im sure lots of people feel the same as I do .. I just dm and play 5e anymore.. and forgetting about SF altogether. Maybe in a year or two they may have it finished ..IDK

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    Hi Bloodright,
    I also bought the FG version for Starfinder, GM a few games . Spells were not used in my games and I didn't notice too much missing otherwise. But the starship combat is horrendous as there is NO starship combat tracker to automatically play the combat. I know lots of people will say I do this or that for starship combat but... I paid for the whole thing and its still incomplete . I stopped buying any further SF books, modules and so forth , stopped playing it altogether just because of that . To me its not worth the money to invest in a vtt version if you still have to do some with pen and paper.. Im sure lots of people feel the same as I do .. I just dm and play 5e anymore.. and forgetting about SF altogether. Maybe in a year or two they may have it finished ..IDK
    Thanks for the quick reply, I am noticing this now, as I go through the system more and more. In it's current incarnation, i would call this an early Alpha project. I just wish i had known that, before dropping money on it.

I believe there is a money-back guarantee in place...best bet would contact Smiteworks, let them know you're not happy with it, and they'll make it right I think.
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

My players didn't have an issue with spells and the like. We came from Pathfinder, so the coding and everything was similar to what we were used to. Coming from 5e, it probably is going to be a step backwards.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Quote Originally Posted by GunbunnyFuFu View Post
    I believe there is a money-back guarantee in place...best bet would contact Smiteworks, let them know you're not happy with it, and they'll make it right I think.
    I don't mind supporting a project, just wish there was some notice of the current state of completion of the product prior to purchasing. I really do wish to learn this system and enjoy it with my player.

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    My players didn't have an issue with spells and the like. We came from Pathfinder, so the coding and everything was similar to what we were used to. Coming from 5e, it probably is going to be a step backwards.
    Very much so, but I am going to start working on building the class abilities and then eventually the spells and abilities. It just bothered me when i saw several spell descriptions unlocked. seemed like lazy coding.

Hmmmm, well I guess I've got a different perspective. Not that I'm trying to be a cheerleader, cuz I'm not. But, understand what FG is. It's a virtual table top. There's a lot of automation already given what one has to keep track of in an in-person session. I'm not looking for a video game version of SF (or PF or any other tabletop RPG). Although starship combat could (and probably will) be better, I am able to run scenarios and play with players whom I cannot have eyeball games with and FG provides the answer. If you're looking for a lot of the computations to be done for you and not having to learn many rules (a la 5e) then it's probably not ready for you yet (and may not ever meet your expectations). However, as someone who's been playing RPGs for nearly 40 years, FG gives me the opportunity to play regularly with friends and players who I can otherwise only play with once per year at worst and a couple of times per year at best. So, if you want to play (and learn the game) then FG will give you that opportunity. If you want a complete OOTB system without even having to know and understand rules, mechanics, etc., then you'll have to wait. And before anyone starts flaming, I know what 5e is and what it can do. It's certainly brought people into gaming. But, for me, it doesn't supply nearly the depth that I enjoy in an RPG. FG let's me play my game of choice.....I don't expect it to do a lot except be a tabletop. It's much more than that, even in SF's current state. But, I haven't yet had something that I couldn't do that FG let me get the idea and/or picture across to my players and that we couldn't resolve just like in any other session.
    Flyteach

Quote Originally Posted by Flyteach View Post
    Hmmmm, well I guess I've got a different perspective. Not that I'm trying to be a cheerleader, cuz I'm not. But, understand what FG is. It's a virtual table top. There's a lot of automation already given what one has to keep track of in an in-person session. I'm not looking for a video game version of SF (or PF or any other tabletop RPG). Although starship combat could (and probably will) be better, I am able to run scenarios and play with players whom I cannot have eyeball games with and FG provides the answer. If you're looking for a lot of the computations to be done for you and not having to learn many rules (a la 5e) then it's probably not ready for you yet (and may not ever meet your expectations). However, as someone who's been playing RPGs for nearly 40 years, FG gives me the opportunity to play regularly with friends and players who I can otherwise only play with once per year at worst and a couple of times per year at best. So, if you want to play (and learn the game) then FG will give you that opportunity. If you want a complete OOTB system without even having to know and understand rules, mechanics, etc., then you'll have to wait. And before anyone starts flaming, I know what 5e is and what it can do. It's certainly brought people into gaming. But, for me, it doesn't supply nearly the depth that I enjoy in an RPG. FG let's me play my game of choice.....I don't expect it to do a lot except be a tabletop. It's much more than that, even in SF's current state. But, I haven't yet had something that I couldn't do that FG let me get the idea and/or picture across to my players and that we couldn't resolve just like in any other session.
    Flyteach

I guess I got spoiled by the level of work in 5E that I had the expectation that SF would be the same level of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodright View Post
    Very much so, but I am going to start working on building the class abilities and then eventually the spells and abilities. It just bothered me when i saw several spell descriptions unlocked. seemed like lazy coding.
    What abilities were you looking at building? Depending on where it came from, look at my effects lists in the sticky on the main Starfinder page. I know I have been slacking on making them (been building a comprehensive Everyman Starlog module), several classes are covered. Let me know what you need or if you need help with anything and I could assist.

From what Russ has said, spells should parse once they hit your character sheet.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thread Information