STAR TREK 2d20

Stupid Question of the Day

I see that several rulesets have support for "vehicles" in the db, including CoreRPG. And I also see that 5E does NOT have the record_vehicle.xml in the campaign datbase (though it does have the graphics for the sidebar button).

Is there a reason Vehicles are not included in 5E? Since they're part of CoreRPG, and 5E is layered on top of Core, I infer that they (Vehicles) have been disabled from 5E? What would it take (in general) to make them come back (or write an extension to do this)?

I did actually spend some time searching the forums before asking, but came up with nothing.
    Check out my FG theme - The Coming of Night

FG Ultimate License
    D&D5e-Pathfinder-Savage Worlds

I suspect because there aren't really any vehicles or combat rules for vehicles in 5e.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Fair point. I really just want to track ships (sailing and air). Something similar to Dulux-Oz's Locations or Organizations would be perfect.... Ship type, Captain/Pilot (npc/character links), crew, cargo (items), etc. Wouldn't need combat per se.

Since it is in CorePRG, any idea of the effort it would take to enable for 5E? Or would I be better off with a DOE-like extension?

FG Ultimate License

Quote Originally Posted by iotech View Post
    Fair point. I really just want to track ships (sailing and air). Something similar to Dulux-Oz's Locations or Organizations would be perfect.... Ship type, Captain/Pilot (npc/character links), crew, cargo (items), etc. Wouldn't need combat per se.

Since it is in CorePRG, any idea of the effort it would take to enable for 5E? Or would I be better off with a DOE-like extension?
    If you have the Unearthed Arcana module you can see some ships that I created there as NPCs based on the 'Of ships and the Sea' article. If not then creating them as NPCs is the way to go I think.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have that, and I will check it out. Thank you!

FG Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Vehicles was really added for StarFinder and some Savage Worlds settings.
    At this point in time Vehicles have little or no utility and you should ignore them - all they have room for is a name and description - there is no automation or interaction with them.

I see. I have examined Zaccheus' suggestion and find it very clever. I think I can get what I'm after with a combination of Mr. Z's suggestion and the DOE extensions...only thing I havent sorted out yet is an "inventory" system.. NPCs, Buildings, and Organizations cannot have "items". It seems only Characters can have an inventory, so I could create a PC for the "Cargo Hold"... but if I want a fleet of trade ships (for example), I'd end up with a lot of "fake" PCs.

Can one of you rockstars confirm that the only obects that can have "items" are "Characters" and "Parcels"?

FG Ultimate License

I’d be inclined to create parcels for the inventory and link those to the NPC notes page, or to a special story page.

Great ideas!
    Here is where I went with this:
    FantasyGrounds_2018-12-28_17-27-11.png
    FantasyGrounds_2018-12-28_17-28-35.png

Created a DOE Organization entry for the ship (WSS Morningstar)
    Dragged Organization entry to map for a pin
    Edited Organization, added free-form description (or speech bubble) in Notes tab, then:
    - Org. Main tab is ship description, etc. and drag in Captain link
    - NPC tab for the crew
    - Maps tab has link to map the ship is on
    - Sounds - links to DOE sounds for sea/shipboard
    - Notes:
    - Zaccheus' NPC Ship Parts from UA (very useful as the ship can do damage and received damage)
    - Cargo as parcel(s) of user-defined items
    - track NPCs assigned to crew for combat/treasure
    This allows for semi-automated combat and easy distribution of treasure and cargo, along with relational uh.. relationship with other ships, fleet, etc.
    Kind of a combination of all the above ideas. I'm very happy with this arrangement, thank you for your ideas and suggestions!

FG Ultimate License

Thread Information