STAR TREK 2d20
Page 15 of 76 First ... 513141516172565 ... Last

Well, I set up a proxy server with Shadowsocks and now have unrestricted net access through my browser. GFW can suck it. Now that I can tunnel past it, is there anyway to set up my FG to host? I'm most worried about the 1802 port restriction. Would it be feasible to set up a port 1802 proxy and be able to run a game through that?
    Last edited by Vali; August 10th, 2019 at 16:30.

PM Myrdin on these boards. He has used PureVPN from China many times. However, I'm not sure if the China he's talking about is Taiwan or Hong Kong or communist China (I know Hong Kong is in mainland now, but they still have some vestiges of democracy from the British lease days). If you use a proxy server, that is PhD level networking, and I doubt anyone on these boards is going to be able to help you very much. Welcome to FG! Sorry you are having trouble.

Don't just PM Myrdin out of the blue when the PureVPN information is available at multiple places in these forums, and it's much better for the community to discuss any connection issues/solutions in the open so we can all learn and benefit from the discussion. Short story: PureVPN works with FG - you need to get the dedicated IP add on.

If you can setup a Proxy that forwards TCP port 1802 to your GM computer, and your players can all access that proxy directly from their FG application (that is, enter a public IP address or resolvable hostname) then you should be OK.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Trenloe, he called PureVPN and they said it doesn't work in China. Myrdin has used it in China. He explicitly said he doesn't want to purchase it without knowing it will work when their own tech support says it won't work. I was looking to help him speak to someone who knows from experience that it works in China. What are you concerned about? Myrdin's a great guy, surely he won't mind chatting with this new user?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    What are you concerned about? Myrdin's a great guy, surely he won't mind chatting with this new user?
    Personally I don’t like getting PM'd when things can be discussed on the forums - like I said, it allows other who may have similar questions later to find answers for themselves in the forums. See my signature!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Well, he isn't paying attention to this thread. The PM was intended only to get his attention if he's monitoring that.

Blog Entries
    VPNs that work today in China have no guarantee that they will work tomorrow.
    And vice versa - sometimes one that didnt work will start working again.

In any event PureVPN has a 30/31 day money back guarantee so that you can test.

Blog Entries
    Myrdin and a few other players I know use PureVPN with IP option to get around the GFW. It's been working for some years, but again may not at any moment. That said, PureVPN has very good customer service and I'm sure if it stops working and they can't help you, they will be happy to cancel the subscription and refund from when it stops working (within reason).

Of course, I don't work for them, but my interactions with them have been good.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hey all. I'm having an issue with hosting a campaign, or even passing the connection test. I've been using FG for many years, but I haven't had the chance to play since last May due to work. I have two PC's that I keep the campaign data in sync that are both exhibiting the same issue. One is a Virtual Machine in Microsoft Azure.
    After spending several hours debugging, I'm certain the issue is with FantasyGrounds.exe being able to open port 1802 to listen for inbound connections. While I'd consider myself an Expert at Networking I learned a long time ago not to assume I missed a basic step. Included below is the beginning troubleshooting steps you like to check along with what else I've done. I zipped the images given the number of them.

1. Your LAN IP Address - 192.168.1.25
    2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router - 66.176

3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both) - Wireless, though I've tried Wired
    4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private - See NetworkPrivate.jpg
    5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions - Windows Defender disabled, see AntiVirusDisabled.jpg
    6. Post the results of the*tracert 8.8.8.8*command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to) - See tracert.jpg
    7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made. - Deleted and recreated port forwarding in router, though this happens with multiple router setups. See RouterPortFOrward.jpg

I've also deleted and recreated the Windows Firewall rule - see WindowsFirewallRule.jpg

Once verifying the above, I started to look and see if FantasyGrounds.exe was even listening on 1802, but never saw it start to listen using SysInternals TCPView or the following two commands.
    Code:
    netstat -an | findstr ":1802"
    or via PowerShell
    Code:
    Get-NetTCPConnection -LocalPort 1802
    I confirmed the connection attempt was getting through the network by doing a packet trace with Wireshark, where you can see the TCP SYN, with no response, followed up by three additional TCP SYN re-transmissions. -see Wireshark.jpg

I Created exception rules for Windows 10 newer Exploit Protection settings, with no effect.

Finally I tried without success uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch after clearing out all files I could find in the App Directory and Data Directory along with Registry settings in HKCU\Software\Fantasy Grounds, and HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Fantasy Grounds (Not sure if I missed clearing anything here)

I did install FantasyGrounds on a fresh new VM in Azure (Same network as the one that doesn't work), which worked just fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mortani; August 13th, 2019 at 20:56.

Blog Entries
    Hey Mortani

Thanks for the detailed info.
    1. Dont disable your protections other than a temp disable for testing. Best to keep them on and just punch small holes for the things that need to be added.
    2. Ive no idea what a Skynet Remote Connection is and Im a little worried...
    3. FG should be listening on TCP 1802 but only when you are running a connection test or when you have a campaign loaded. It does appear to stop showing in my netstat listing too after a period of time however I can still connect. If you run a Netstat just after loading a campaign does it appear in the list?
    The other things you have posted all look ok.

Thread Information