STAR TREK 2d20
Page 13 of 53 First ... 3111213141523 ... Last
    Thanks, Fg isn't the most user friendly thing around and is down right frustrating at times
    Discord for my Games: https://discord.gg/4xD6AKu
    My Current Campaigns: Lilly's Dumpster Fire of Doom & A Lazy Sunday with Lilly
    If you want to help me out with subscriptions/mods/resources you can donate to my Paypal.me

Blog Entries

Announcing the Release of DWSI v0.0.10 (part 1 of 2)

For the DM sharing NPCs for player use can be frustrating, and possibly downright difficult if the DM wants to maintain some extra organization. To help mediate this I have added some helpful "sharing" functionality to the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor (DWSI)extension.

As I was adding the functionality to DWSI there were items that I demanded of the new version:
    • Automatic copying of an NPC stat block from the source book group to another specified group (in the NPC library).
    • Automatic sharing of NPC stat blocks with specified players.
    • Lists of shared NPCs, player by player basis.
    • Player modification of shared NPC tokens with minimal efforts by the DM.

This new version provides all this new functionality. What follows is an explanation of how to use it. All the work detailed in this post is done in the NPC Library. Bring up the NPC Library and let's get started.

These steps are shown and described in the following screenshot:
    When you first bring up the NPC library, it's likely that "All" Group data will be displayed; the NPCs in every module you have open. To make it easier on yourself, consider closing modules you won't be sharing NPCs from. For instance I only left the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual open. Click the little down arrow in the Group list to open up the list. Put the list in edit mode by clicking on the little brown-slash edit icon, then click the add group (green-plus-sign icon). A new group, titled "Group 1" (or Group 2 or 3 or... if you already have new groups with those titles) is added. Change the new group's name to "DWS: " followed by something short but descriptive. The descriptive text that you add is not particularly important because the program will modify it later. What is important here is the "DWS: " (and note, the space is mandatory) - much of the added functionality keys off the specialized naming convention. When you're done editing, click the brown-slash edit icon to take the list out of edit mode.
    Untitled1.png

In the next screen shot I'll drag some NPCs into the new group (DWS: ….). In the screenshot I have narrowed the displayed list of NPCs down to those in the Monster Manual and using the library filters I selected out all NPCs except those with a CR of 1/4 and Type Beast. I dragged three into my new group, the Boar, the Giant Badger and the Giant Frog. For those familiar with the default behavior of the NPC library, simply dragging an NPC from the Monster Manual into another group moves the reference to the NPC out of the Monster Manual into the new group. Stated another way it looks like the NPC was removed from the Monster Manual and put into the new group. It hasn't really been removed, it just looks like it in the current campaign. To alleviate this problem the user needs to create a copy of the NPC then move the copy to the new group. But not when using v0.0.10 of DWSI. The extension takes care of copying the NPC and placing the copy in the intended group.
    Untitled2.png

Another default behavior of the libraries is, whenever you are creating copies, moving NPCs, or somehow changing the list, the library re-sorts, and re-displays the list. So if you're working toward the bottom of the list, every time you want to add another NPC to your new group you have to navigate down to area you were working in. To prevent this abhorrent re-sort/redisplay behavior, I added multiselect functionality to the NPC library. Just hold down the control key (Ctrl) and click on the desired NPC links (the little brown shield). As you select then checkmarks are added. When you have all the NPCs that you wish to share, selected then right-click on the DWS: … group and choose the Paste option from the pop-up radial menu. All of this is shown in the following screenshot.
    Untitled3.png

At this point the NPCs have not been shared with anyone, copies have been added to a list that will now be shared. One of the items I demanded of the new functionality is player maintenance of the NPC tokens. In order to effect this the player must be allowed edit access to the NPC stat block. That means they can change any stat they want, not just the token. If this is a concern for you, as the DM, do NOT follow through with the next set of instructions. Instead share each NPC in the DWS: … group, one at a time, by dragging the NPC from the DWS: … group on to the player's character sheet icon in the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop. That said, if you trust your players to not wholesale trump up their Wild Shape NPCs then, in session, or while the player is otherwise connected, drag their character sheet portrait (from the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop) on to the DWS: … group in the Group list. Note that the list must be in drop down mode, not single line mode. The following screenshot will help. Note that the result is a change in the DWS: … name. The new group name has the PC's name and the player's connection name. If the player ever changes their PC's name or their connection name, just redrag the portrait on to the DWS: group. Otherwise do not change the group name, DWSI uses the parts of the name to effect it's functionality.
    Untitled4.png

Whenever you need to share more NPCs with your player just drag or multiselect/place them in the shared DWS: … group. DWSI will take care of the copying and sharing (ownership) of the NPCs you put in there.

Token sharing will be covered in the following post (part 2).
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; June 16th, 2019 at 06:14.

Blog Entries

Release Notes for DWSI v0.0.10 (part 2 of 2)

The functionality covered here, in this post is not new, it is not specific to the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor (DWSI) extension. I tripped over it while adding the enhanced sharing functions and since some users are having difficulties with NPC sharing and possibly token sharing I thought I'd put it all here in one place.

As a player, playing my second Druid character now, the first attended a TPK in Tomb of Annihilation, I wanted my own flair on Wild Shape tokens and I didn't want to have to ask my DM to maintain all of that for me, so as the designer of this extension I tried to take as much of that mundane responsibility away from my DM as I could. It is my understanding that tokens are simply 64x64 pixel image files (.png, .jpg). I created numerous tokens very quickly for the beasts in the 5e Monster Manual by going to the internet, screen capturing some images and then cropping and resizing them in Paint. True they're pictures rather than drawings, but if this bothers you I'm sure there are some (free) programs out there that will cartoon/caricaturize pictures into drawing like images. (I know there's at least one for the iPad.)

As the DM, you can share tokens with your players by dropping them into the ..\Fantasy Grounds\tokens\shared folder. To access the folder just click on the Shared button in the Token Library dialog. If you want to maintain some semblance of order, especially if you have more than one player contributing their tokens to you, you can create token bags in the library by adding subfolders in the shared folder. The following screenshot depicts this process.
    Untitled5.png

A sharable token bag will appear in the Token Library. If the bag doesn't appear, I've found that FG needs a restart sometimes. Once you have access to the sharable token bag, to share it, just drag it on to the intended player's character sheet portrait (in the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop). The player should now have access to their tokens (again, they might need a restart/reconnect to gain access). They can open the bag, open the intended target NPC (provided you've shared it with them), unlock (again provided you've decided to share that functionality with them), and drag-drop their token on to the NPC's stat block, then relock the NPC. This verbiage is illustrated in the following screenshot.
    Untitled6.png

I'll get the extension posted, now. If you have difficulties please ask.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; June 16th, 2019 at 16:37.

Minty, this is really incredible work. Thanks for your contributions.
    You can only share an NPC group with one player at a time right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    You can only share an NPC group with one player at a time right?
    Yes. Correct. In most cases, I would think, you'll only have one Druid in your campaign, so it's not an issue. If there are two or more Druids, again I believe, they probably aren't clones of one another, so they quite probably would have different Wild Shape NPC lists. For example a Moon Druid would have a very different NPC list than a Land Druid. So maintaining a separate group for each Druid seems reasonable to me.

(And thanks kind Sir for the kudos. I am particularly happy with the multiselect feature that I added. I'd love to see it added to the ruleset functionality thereby available to each of the libraries. I might add it to my Field Filters extension.)
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    [Post #109]
    Good Day Minty23185Fresh
    Is there a way to use this with the Polymorph spell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    [Post #110]
    No it does not work with the polymorph spell.
    (xscapebb, in a PM and Atua, post #64, have also asked. I have been PMing them to discuss supporting it. I will be working on a modification to DWSI in a week or two.)
    *Sigh*
    Already almost a month and I haven't started working on this.
    I have looked at spells that need support and have come up with these four:
    Animal Shapes
    Polymorph
    Shapechange
    True Polymorph

Any others I should be aware of?

I would second adding it to corerpg....

Minty, I simply love this extension and hate playing a druid without it. One game I'm currently in has some home brew druid circles however that allow for some additional forms at set levels. I looked into tweaking your code to work with the new circles. I thought the least intrusive way to do it was let the player add a list of custom NPC names and the level they are available at to the feature list of the char sheet. For example my Druid circle allow me to wild shape into a Gargoyle at 6th and an Earth Elemental at 10th so I added the following 2 features to my char sheet:

DWS:Gargoyle:6
    DWS:Earth Elemental:10

and can now wild shape into a Gargoyle at 6th level and an earth elemental at 10th.

The code changes are confined to the getWildShapeNode function. I won't claim its a cleanest code but you are welcome to the code to use/trash as you wish. If you are interested in my changes feel free to PM me and I'll pass them on.

Thanks Minty, Best module for druids.

so... because im an idiot....and you said to msg :)

you put the extension file in your extensions folder, fire up the game. then you just drag an appropriately sized beast onto your druid of choice?
    is that it? is this i8n the main window? the combat tracker? im sure im doing something wrong
    please help me moron proof my game

OMG THIS WORKS AND IS AMAZING SIR!!! youre a goddamned wizard.
    thank you so much.
    Last edited by hagrid70; August 19th, 2019 at 00:19.

Thread Information