5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Here we go again.. Port not open despite Port Forwarding

Hello,

I have already tried the methods described in your faq so I was hoping to find an answer here.
    My ports are forwarded on my firewall, my antivirus and my router. (The programs themselves as well as the ports)
    But nobody can connect to my server (Connection test always says Failure).
    Even canyouseeme.org gets a connection error.

I'm sitting on this since yesterday and I wonder if I should just switch to something like Hamachi (which has its own problems already)?

Please and thank you
    Mehrtelb

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're having issues.

The biggest contributor to this is:
    1) Your GM local IP address has changed and your port forwarding for TCP port 1802 on your Internet router is still set for the old IP address.
    2) Your network connection on the GM computer is "Public" not private.
    3) Your security/anti-virus application is blocking FantasyGrounds.exe from accessing the network. Sometimes these rules need to be removed/updated as some apps see a new executable as a new application, so after a FG app update the security app may start blocking FG - even though it looks like it's set not to.
    4) Your security/anti-virus application is blocking inbound TCP port 1802 communications.
    5) Your ISP has changed their architecture - we can check this if you perform tracert 8.8.8.8 from a command prompt and post the result here.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Gonna test them all again but here are the results of the command prompt:

Routenverfolgung zu google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    über maximal 30 Hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
    2 11 ms 11 ms 8 ms 83-169-183-43-isp.superkabel.de [83.169.183.43]
    3 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms ip5886eb81.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.235.129]
    4 11 ms 18 ms 12 ms 145.254.3.64
    5 13 ms 11 ms 13 ms 145.254.2.215
    6 10 ms 12 ms 11 ms 72.14.195.104
    7 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
    8 14 ms 19 ms 13 ms 216.239.54.180
    9 11 ms 18 ms 12 ms 216.239.43.191
    10 14 ms 12 ms 12 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

1) My IP address is static, but i checked multiple times and sure enough, it is the same Ip address.
    2) It is set to private
    3) I deleted and renewed all TCP and UDP exceptions for fantasygrounds and Fantasy Grounds, and disabled my firewall and antivirus for a minute just to see - still doesn't work.
    4) because it still didn't work even when i disabled them, no they don't.

I can't see anything in your tracert that would be causing the issue so that narrows it down to your computer. Switching off AV or Firewalls don't always work like you think they might so that doesn't tells us much. You could try rebooting your router and again double check that proper rules have been set in your anti virus. (You mention anti virus and firewall but these should be the same thing - you don't have multiple Firewalls running do you; such as Windows Defender and anti virus)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Have restarted the router and my PC (also double checked all my settings and exceptions), still doesn't work.

If you launch another copy of Fantasy Grounds (or a copy on another computer), can you load a campaign on your main computer and connect to it via your internal IP? This will help determine if it's the router not forwarding ports or something on your computer not accepting the connection.

If you launch a second copy on same machine, use "localhost" as the server address.
    If you launch from another machine on same network, use the internal IP address returned by the FG launch screen.

Each of these will tell us a little more about what might be blocking people from connecting.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Many German users cannot do Port Forwarding as they go thru two layers of NAT.
    I have seen one instance on a German network where they had access to only 25% of the NAT ports...
    Your tracert suggests the first is unlikely and wont give any clues about the second.

Can you post a screen shot of your Port Forward page - preferably in English - and of your Status page and WAN Status Pages?

Have tried the two instances with localhost - does work.
    I'm gonna get the screenshots as fast as I can.
    (don't know how to get them in english, but i can try to translate as much as possible.)

edit - Forgot to ask as a newcomer to port forwarding, what do you mean by status page and wan status page?
    Im gonna google them now just in case I'm stupid.

Thread Information