5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: Harn master

Harn master

Is there anyone in the U.S. who is a fan of Harn Master? If so, would you be open to a phone call? I've been reading the ruleset, and I'd like to get a better hande on how combat works. Some people rave about it online and others seem to dislike it.

I‘d say I really like it.I‘m not from U.S., though. The campaign world is quite detailed. City maps were created with Campaign Cartographer 2 in the older days. The combat system is detailed and lethal IMO.
    My longer term goal would be to use the 13th Age ruleset, and combine it with the Harnworld campaign.

Hi Targas, yes, I saw your earlier post and knew you were from Germany. Do you know of any videos in English that describe a combat sequence in Harn or 13th Age? Thanks either way!

Blog Entries
    For HârnMaster, as far as I am aware there is not much info available online on the combat sequence other than some short burbs like that found at a Player's Guide to HârnMaster You may want to try their forums at HârnForum . That's where all the Hârn regulars hang out.

EDIT: There are a bunch of guys that play on Roll20 and have a Discord channel set up, you could try there too.
    Last edited by GunnarGreybeard; December 4th, 2018 at 11:37. Reason: Adding Discord link
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I'm a fan of Harn, but I've never played it...can't seem to find anyone interested.
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

Quote Originally Posted by Mithalwulf View Post
    Hi Targas, yes, I saw your earlier post and knew you were from Germany. Do you know of any videos in English that describe a combat sequence in Harn or 13th Age? Thanks either way!
    Unfortunately I don‘t know of any videos showing combat sequences of 13th Age or Harnmaster. 13th Age is D20 based, is simplifying combat by not rolling damage when NPC‘s hit, but use predefined damage (and accordingly sized encounters to match it). To hit is increasing for players from round to round (escalation die), which will make combat ending earlier, etc.
    Harnmaster is not using ‚hit points‘, but injury levels. Basically one hit can be the only final blow. Strikes are determined with lookup tables, e.g. with about 16 different strike locations, depending on aiming high/mid/low, etc. Quite complex, and too much hassle for me.
    Added free resource from Columbia Games link showing the combat lookup tables: https://columbiagames.com/resources/...mbattables.pdf
    Last edited by Targas; December 4th, 2018 at 18:12.

I would love to run Harn again, one of my favourite systems and the world is highly detailed. I just need to find the time...

James
    The owls are not what they seem

Blog Entries
    If my HarnMaster ruleset ever gets done enough to run a game I will certainly give it a shot. It's built on the MoreCore ruleset and the changes are purely graphic/cosmetic, in other words, nothing is really automated.

HM3_mock_up.jpg

hm3_modules.jpg

Damned on the forums here did add the 'HarnMaster roll' so that it determines level of success or failure and whether the roll is a crit or not.

Skill-Checks.jpg
    Last edited by GunnarGreybeard; December 5th, 2018 at 18:50.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

If you haven't found your answer yet, hit me up with a PM and we can set up a time to chat. I have played an ran HârnMaster often.

Regards,
    Terrell

Thread Information