Back our Kickstarter Campaign going on Now
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. #1

    Back from the Frontier....

    Greetings All,

    I've been away far too long. I travelled to the frontiers and lost communication.....

    Being honest, I've been ill with a tooth from hell, plus another close family member has been far too close to the frontier as well, but we're all better now.

    When I created the ruleset I never imagined people would be interested in a game that's not D&D. I love Traveller, I can (and hope until I die) remember playing it, having characters die during char gen, and dying whilst our ship was destroyed in space combat. It's just awesome and it lives again.

    There's a lot of talk about 1E and 2E and can both be played together, forgive me if I'm missing anything but from my pov it's the following:

    In 2E you have
    1. difficulty numbers, rather than modifiers against a single target number
    2. animals/creatures have hit points rather than the wound track


    So this is what I've been thinking of doing. Adding 2E as an extension to the 1E ruleset, and that 2E extension would come with a new theme plus the Core rulebook for 2E.

    The Core Rulebook is converted, the theme needs finishing and Mongoose were meant to be doing that (I need to chase them).

    This means that 1E still needs all the core stuff adding to it, and 2E will override parts of it.

    Now this is where you the players come in.

    I'm taking a large amount of time off over Xmas, I'm self employed so can do this though the wife isn't too happy as she thinks that I'm playing on my computer!

    So let's create a list of what you the players want, and then let's create it all. Post here what you want next and I'll commit to what's here rather than promisng stuff that gets pushed to to the back of many lists.

    I will also let you know I've been working on the ruleset to Vampire 5th Edition but once that completes (soon I hope) Traveller is my only ruleset focus for the short term.

    Thanks
    Colin aka MBM

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    7
    What if 2E were a smaller .pak that layered over top of 1E? Then it could have 2E-specific content if needed, and the GMs wouldn't need to remember to enable an extension?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    What if 2E were a smaller .pak that layered over top of 1E? Then it could have 2E-specific content if needed, and the GMs wouldn't need to remember to enable an extension?
    I'll have to look into it, but a 2E pak means an almost duplicated code source, I could branch/fork but it gets messy.

    Though I'll do whatever folks want.

    Cheers

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    7
    I meant kinda like PFRPG layers over 35E and only includes the Pathfinder changes. For that matter, you could have 2E automatically accept 1E DLC too, maybe whip up some functions to handle the math differences like CoC7E does with the older CoC6E DLC?

    We were considering doing that for Amazing Adventures, layering it over Castles & Crusades since it's the same core RPG engine, but I hesitate to essentially force people to buy one product in order to play a different product. But that concept might work great for Traveller like it has for Call of Cthulhu.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I meant kinda like PFRPG layers over 35E and only includes the Pathfinder changes. For that matter, you could have 2E automatically accept 1E DLC too, maybe whip up some functions to handle the math differences like CoC7E does with the older CoC6E DLC?

    We were considering doing that for Amazing Adventures, layering it over Castles & Crusades since it's the same core RPG engine, but I hesitate to essentially force people to buy one product in order to play a different product. But that concept might work great for Traveller like it has for Call of Cthulhu.
    I'll email JPG and see what he suggests. What I don't want it two code bases.

    I do like the idea of the flag and so if it's not marked as 2E then do the sums automatically to bring them in-line, that's a great idea.

    Now 2E is a much more polished edition, there's a noticeable difference in the quality and I know Mongoose are very keen for it to be 'seen' to be the newer edition.

    Cheers, you've given me some ideas and a way to convert the older content that's still ace, but use it in the newest edition!

    MBM

  6. #6
    Great to hear you and your loved ones passed the End check with bravour! It is so nice to have you back.

    For my part, I would like to see ships and ship combat implemented as I will put my campaign in that tight spot, soon. ��

    Not sure yet, if I'll switch to 2E. I find 1E quite refined tbh and a single target number with modifiers is a great way to play imho. But ofc this is always a matter of taste, habit and preference i assume.

    My players and I love what you have done so far and we all are releaved to have you back!
    Cya

  7. #7
    Will this Traveller 2E ruleset be based on the “newest” traveller by Mongoose?
    http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1.html
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

  8. #8
    My personal thinking is that 2E is much more consistent across the board compared to 1E which gets less and less consistent the more books you look at. I'd much rather see a focus on 2E than 1E, but that's just a preference. To be honest, more people likely use 2E these days than 1E. I actually had to dig up my 1E books to use the ruleset and have mostly been waiting around for an actual 2E ruleset.

    As for maintaining two different code sets, if you do something like celestian's AD&D ruleset built on top of 5E where your 2E ruleset would be built on top of 1E then once 1E is pretty much done and in maintenance you can switch to full 2E development and not worry about it too much either way. If 1E gets finished you'll have a lot of basics already done for 2E and then once 2E is done you can sell it as an upgrade or something. They key would be to finish 1E first regardless of how badly people like me want 2E cause that would be best for everyone in the long run (I think).

    In a perfect world, the list of things that I'd like to see goes something like this:

    Starships

    • Full Stat Card
    • Full Ship building would be awesome but hard I'm sure
    • Cargo Volume & Carried Information
    • Crew Names with Link to NPCs
    • Passenger information (# of high, mid, low)



    Psionics

    • Psionics added as abilities OR
    • Psionics added as skills
    • Second Psi column for psi usage


    Trade

    • Full implementation of the trade system OR
    • At least set up trade in tables



    These combined with the features currently present would just about round out the 1E Core Rules.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Will this Traveller 2E ruleset be based on the “newest” traveller by Mongoose?
    http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1.html
    Yes, it will be based on the latest version from Mongoose. Most of the books are all 'done', just need to make the data and finish the ruleset for Starships etc.

    Cheers

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    My personal thinking is that 2E is much more consistent across the board compared to 1E which gets less and less consistent the more books you look at. I'd much rather see a focus on 2E than 1E, but that's just a preference. To be honest, more people likely use 2E these days than 1E. I actually had to dig up my 1E books to use the ruleset and have mostly been waiting around for an actual 2E ruleset.

    As for maintaining two different code sets, if you do something like celestian's AD&D ruleset built on top of 5E where your 2E ruleset would be built on top of 1E then once 1E is pretty much done and in maintenance you can switch to full 2E development and not worry about it too much either way. If 1E gets finished you'll have a lot of basics already done for 2E and then once 2E is done you can sell it as an upgrade or something. They key would be to finish 1E first regardless of how badly people like me want 2E cause that would be best for everyone in the long run (I think).

    In a perfect world, the list of things that I'd like to see goes something like this:

    Starships

    • Full Stat Card
    • Full Ship building would be awesome but hard I'm sure
    • Cargo Volume & Carried Information
    • Crew Names with Link to NPCs
    • Passenger information (# of high, mid, low)



    Psionics

    • Psionics added as abilities OR
    • Psionics added as skills
    • Second Psi column for psi usage


    Trade

    • Full implementation of the trade system OR
    • At least set up trade in tables



    These combined with the features currently present would just about round out the 1E Core Rules.
    Hello,

    I wanted to finish 1E off first, as 2E is based on it, just Mongoose want me to finish 2E these days.

    I've emailed FG to find out if Starfinder has finished the develop for Starships, if they have then I can start added that into Traveller/WOiN. If not, then I need a bit more time to start on it, but it's going to happen as some time as I need the Starships myself.

    About Psionics, I plan on adding them as 'Skills/Power', the issue is that in Traveller you get all the skills/powers within one Talent, and the Talent has the total DM for each skill/power. So I could look at added them as 'Talents' which if you drag to your character it adds all of the 'skills/powers' for each Talent.

    About Trading. I'd like to add the Trade in Tables, but if you think we can create a system for trade, then let me know more. I do most of this by hand (still) from the books and in advance if I think my players will be trading.

    So let me know about these thinks, and thanks for the reply.

    Cheers,
    MBM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in