DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Talislanta 4th Edition

Hello everyone,

I am planning on starting up a role-playing campaign based on the Talislanta 4th Edition setting. The majority of you have probably never heard of this system but it is one that has been around since about 1987 and is, in my opinion, one of the most diverse and original fantasy settings out there. There are no stereotypical dwarves, elves, etc. here; there are literally dozens and dozens of races in the game each with their own unique culture.

The rules system is very easy and any of you that are interested will pick it up in about 20 minutes tops. I have a link to a very thorough review of the game that does well to explain both the background to the game as well as the system. It’s a bit of a read but well worth it if you are even slightly considering wanting to join https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10196.phtml.

I have both the hard copy and several electronic copies (all legally purchased) that I am willing to share once you are sure you would like to join (but you really should purchase the electronic from drivethrurpg.com).

Currently I have myself as the GM and 1 other player that are definite. I have a second player that is most likely joining. That leaves about 2-4 slots to have a well rounded group.

As far as when the campaign will be we can work that out once we have gotten the interested parties. We could do weekly/bi-weekly sessions again depending on the groups’ schedules. Currently all those interested so far are on EST but don't let that be a detterent to any other timezones as we can try and hash something out when we have a reasonable amount of players interested.

I am just now starting on a character sheet but it will not be too hard. And the system is simple enough that just the action table will be the reference we need for now and I will slowly start adding relevant information to a ruleset (combat tactics/rules/etc.).

If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by joshuha; July 26th, 2006 at 21:06.

You're kidding...

There was a 4th Edition?!

I played this RPG back in 88-89 - loved the ads "No Elves" My group played it for a year or so until we moved to a heavily modified Hero System world.

I would be interested in joining a regular weekly/bi-weekly session - however it has been nearly 15 years since I last saw the book (gave my copy to an old friend I've since lost touch with). I've skimmed the review you linked and it seems real easy to pick up. Oh, important note :: I'm also new to FG.

I'm also in the east (north east actually) so time would be easy to set up.

Be seeing you,

AB

Quote Originally Posted by aberto2k
    There was a 4th Edition?!

I played this RPG back in 88-89 - loved the ads "No Elves" My group played it for a year or so until we moved to a heavily modified Hero System world.

I would be interested in joining a regular weekly/bi-weekly session - however it has been nearly 15 years since I last saw the book (gave my copy to an old friend I've since lost touch with). I've skimmed the review you linked and it seems real easy to pick up. Oh, important note :: I'm also new to FG.

I'm also in the east (north east actually) so time would be easy to set up.

Be seeing you,

AB

Yep, there is actually a D20 version as well but I, and a lot of other Tal players, feel it stripped the heart and soul out of the game. While the races are well represented you then go to a race/class system and everything starts being more and more the same. Also, since you couldn't have 50+ balanced classes almost everything fun got shoved into a prestige class.

Morrigan Press (the current publishers) has been planning a streamlined 5th that won't differ to much from the 4th edition rules but all in all if and when it does come out it will be about the same system.

Anyways, we would love to have you. At the moment I have 4 copies of the PDF that I have paid for along with the hardcopy. The PDF is available at drivethrurpg.com for only $19.97 if you are interested but I am willing to give a couple copies away if I can get dedicated players.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    Yep, there is actually a D20 version as well but I, and a lot of other Tal players, feel it stripped the heart and soul out of the game. While the races are well represented you then go to a race/class system and everything starts being more and more the same. Also, since you couldn't have 50+ balanced classes almost everything fun got shoved into a prestige class.

Morrigan Press (the current publishers) has been planning a streamlined 5th that won't differ to much from the 4th edition rules but all in all if and when it does come out it will be about the same system.

Anyways, we would love to have you. At the moment I have 4 copies of the PDF that I have paid for along with the hardcopy. The PDF is available at drivethrurpg.com for only $19.97 if you are interested but I am willing to give a couple copies away if I can get dedicated players.
    What kinda time frame we lookin at? If the time works for me (I'm in eastern as well), I may be able to dedicate meself to a campaign. I can even do something during the week, but only a couple of hours as the bed calls early for me...

I've taken a boo at the system, and it looks kinda funky...so I'd be game to give it a shot
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Been ages since i've looked at my Talislanta book... not sure i can even find it but would be willing to pick up the pdf at DRTPG. Eastern time zone here too. New to FG but have a full copy.

Would love to join the game. Tuesday is my only bad nite (steady DnDO group that nite... heh)

Count me in

A 5th Edition and a d20 version - who would of thunk. Except for myself and the GM no one in our group liked it - so we eventually shelved it.

I found a pdf sampler that has the core rules and a few of the archtypes which was enough to get me familiar with it again.

What type of campaign are you planning on running? High adventure, story based, heavy role play?

Also how will you run it? Strictly FG or combined with other software like Teamspeak and such?

Regardless I'm tipically free Monday through Thursday evenings (8PM EST onwards) and I would enjoy a weekly or even bi-weekly session.

Be seeing you,

AB

Quote Originally Posted by aberto2k
    What type of campaign are you planning on running? High adventure, story based, heavy role play?

Also how will you run it? Strictly FG or combined with other software like Teamspeak and such?

Regardless I'm tipically free Monday through Thursday evenings (8PM EST onwards) and I would enjoy a weekly or even bi-weekly session.

Be seeing you,

AB
    My campaigns are typically a good mix of puzzles/mystery, combat, and sprinkle in a bit of politics/heavy RP. Generally I try to tailor it to the group. I usually reward good RP and try to encourage players to have fleshed out backgrounds.

In the past I have found using teamspeak for OOC talk and metagame stuff (how far is he, can I do this, etc.) help the game run much much faster. However, I like to keep the RP behind the character in FG as it allows people to get into it a bit more IMO. Teamspeak would not be required but recommended, it really does make combat go much much faster.

So far its looking like Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday might be the nights we are shooting for. Thinking maybe a 2-3 hour session weekly if that works. as now its still tentative and as far as a starting point I am thinking in 1-2 weeks, sometime in early August.

Of those days, I think Thursday right now is best for me - its close enough to the end of the week that I could show up brain dead on Friday an nobody'd know the diff

So long as it doesn't start after 8pm Eastern I should be good

Now to just find the book so I can read up on it :S
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Talislanta 4th Edition

I would be interested in signing on, though along with Kalan I would prefer an earlier start time for the game as I have to be at work early in the morning. I think I used to have a copy of the game 10 or 15 years ago. It looked interesting but I knew I would never find anyone local to play it so I got rid of it. One of the great things about FG is that it provides an opportunity to play in many unconventional settings. Anyway I will play if you are still looking for players.

For anyone who is interested Drivethrurpg.com has a free 58 page Talislanta preview available. I just downloaded it and am getting ready to look it over now.

Thread Information