Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    That should be the case. When NPCs are added to a map, their token is only automatically added if they’re were added as part of an encounter. If their token is added that way or after they are added to the CT, then the visibility should be set to fully invisible until you change the visibility in the CT.

I can double check when I get back to my desk.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    I've just tested this, in a 3.5E campaign with no extensions loaded, and found it not to be the case. If you place an NPC in the Combat Tracker, then drag its token to the map, and set the map token to mask-sensitive visibility, then the players can see the token on the unmasked sections of the map even though they can't see it on the CT.
    That's because you've changed the visibility of the token outside of the CT. Do this: add the NPC to the CT (which default to hidden), then drag the token from the CT to the map. While the token remains set to hidden on the CT, the players should not be able to see it whether or not it's masked. When you change the token to visible on the CT, then the token should only be visible if it's unmasked.

Here is the setup on the GM side:

Here is the player view:

So, token A is hidden on the CT and under the mask. On the player side, it is not visible on either the CT or the map.
    Token B is visible on the CT and under the mask. On the player side, it is visible on the CT but not visible on the map.
    Token C is hidden on the CT and not under the mask. On the player side, it is not visible on either the CT or the map.
    Token D is visible on the CT and not under the mask. On the player side, it is visible on both the CT and the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    That's because you've changed the visibility of the token outside of the CT. Do this: add the NPC to the CT (which default to hidden), then drag the token from the CT to the map. While the token remains set to hidden on the CT, the players should not be able to see it whether or not it's masked. When you change the token to visible on the CT, then the token should only be visible if it's unmasked.
    So we agree - excellent! Now you can appreciate the situation that occurs for me - I add multiple NPCs to the Combat Tracker from an Encounter for a location the PCs are approaching, and their tokens appear on the map, under the mask. I want all those tokens to have mask-sensitive visibility, so that I can make them visible to the players at an appropriate moment (and not visible again when they move out of sight, if necessary). Currently, the only way to do this without revealing them all on the CT is to individually change each token's visibility on the map. This is a bit of a pain, and the players ask me what I'm doing! So, I'd like the tokens to automatically have mask-sensitive visibility when they are added to the map. It seems like changing this might be as simple as changing one variable in the code, so I was wondering if anyone might point me in the right direction...

I'm probably missing something here but I don't see the need to add mask sensitivity to each token. So the encounter is placed on the CT and some of the tokens are still under the mask. You make the tokens that the PCs can see visible on the CT and leave those that they can't invisible. This sets the mask sensitivity to revealed tokens so that when they move back under the mask they become invisible again on the map. When any tokens that start under the mask become visible you make them visible on the CT.

I can see what you mean though. What you are looking for is instead of mask sensitivity to be set when a token is made visible on the CT you want it to default to that when first placed on the CT.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi All, I have been a GM for just over a year now, playing 1/week using the 3.5e ruleset and I am loving the FGU software, however I totally agree with Callum. I want to add a range of creatures using the Encounter as a pre-prepared quick loading of the Tokens, But I only want the party to see maybe a few if any of the creatures when they enter the area. I have to individually mark every Token as Mask Sensitive Visibility ( a real pain), otherwise if i use the CT to Unhide they see all of the hiding surprises on the CT. If I leave the CT as Hidden, then I need to individually set each token, so that as they walk past a "window or door" they see a glimpse of the creature. When they see the token, I then unhide it on the CT. This process works really well to keep the suspense, but just need a way of defaulting all tokens to Mask Sensitive.

So was this ever resolved? It is my biggest issue with the otherwise brillant platform!

You don't need to use the menus on the tokens to set the visibility.

Within the combat tracker, the eye icon (visibility) toggles the NPC and token visibility together between visible (seen in CT; and mask-sensitive on map) and invisible (not seen in CT, and invisible on map). There's also a master toggle at the top to toggle visibility for all NPCs at once.

Regards,
    JPG

Hi Moon Wizard, I want to be able to set-up a third option automatically, currently I have to do it manually.

CT = Invisible, Token = Mask Sensitive .....as a default.

Maybe it is just the way in which we play, but I use the Encounters to pre-plan my encounters with Token placements. When the party are on the map, I quickly set each of the Tokens to Mask Sensitive. Then as the party move about they will see the Token, it is only when they shout out to their team mates that they have seen a Token, that I make it CT = Visible. Only then do the remainder of the party at least know there is a monster, but have to rely on their team mates explanation of its location, or their own characters LOS. We find it adds some real life drama / interaction / panic resulting in some memorable inter-character interactions. Which tree? Left, not that left!! Are there more (As CT = Invisible for the others)??

Strictly speaking I should just use a spot check, and if they pass, then set CT = Visible. So I understand why my option does not exist, but it does add to the fun using a technology that the rule makers never thought was possible. I will continue to manually set the Tokens in certain circumstances.

So if possible for the third option, excellent. Fully understand why it is not there. Love the software, keep up the good work. It has allowed my to play with old mates living in different cities 1/week for coming up to 1 year now. That is quality of Life !!

I support the request. Being able to keep NPCs hidden on the CT but mask-sensitively visible on the map - without setting each token manuall - would be very useful. This should be a global option that affects both manually dragged tokens and automatically placed "Encounter" tokens.

Currently you cannot even use the Selection Mode to change this setting for multiple tokens at once.

There is one more problem with the current implementation. When the campaign is reloaded then all manually set mask-sensitive settings are reset to the CT state (hidden). So this has to be redone every time you start a new session.

Thread Information