DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    My methods are really messy and not likely to be helpful to anyone else, lol. But it is cool to see what other better organized people do.

During play I have my FG stuff available in the campaign, I have any PDFs open on a tablet for easy reference, and I have my physical materials at hand as needed for narrating from. I can reach my bookshelf from my computer desk easily. I keep a couple folders of images ready to upload to the FG folder and share with players on the fly and a web browser ready to do searches if I don't already have just the right image.

My sessions are combat-light and story-heavy so it is more important that I read before the session and keep visuals available for player immersion than that I have any actual mechanics or encounter stats handy. But I also have those in FG for when they are needed (as noted in several recent threads about encounters and stuff happening off map).

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    My methods are really messy and not likely to be helpful to anyone else, lol. But it is cool to see what other better organized people do.

During play I have my FG stuff available in the campaign, I have any PDFs open on a tablet for easy reference, and I have my physical materials at hand as needed for narrating from. I can reach my bookshelf from my computer desk easily. I keep a couple folders of images ready to upload to the FG folder and share with players on the fly and a web browser ready to do searches if I don't already have just the right image.

My sessions are combat-light and story-heavy so it is more important that I read before the session and keep visuals available for player immersion than that I have any actual mechanics or encounter stats handy. But I also have those in FG for when they are needed (as noted in several recent threads about encounters and stuff happening off map).

First on a completely unrelated issue --- I'm massively jealous of where you are from based on your location. I had a friend who lived in Oahu for years (she's now in VA) visited out there and just enjoyed HI tremendously....(I'm in NJ)

Anyway... whatever works for you works for you......I'd be messing up if I wasn't super organized. Even thought I'm a novice to FG....during my actual pen and paper TT days I was the dorky DM I guess -- I'd have folders (different folders for different parts of the campaign) stacked in order, my books for reference were neatly stacked...I had my DM screen up and notes on my story including some scripted lines of dialogue to read to my players, etc...

I also did like a "rehearsal" of what content I "think" we'll cover in the next play session....yeah I was that guy. I probably won't get as crazy with FG since that organizes a lot for you (once you setup your windows nice...and having a 34" wide screen monitor helps a bit too).

But I do agree with you its very interesting to learn other people's methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    First on a completely unrelated issue --- I'm massively jealous of where you are from based on your location. I had a friend who lived in Oahu for years (she's now in VA) visited out there and just enjoyed HI tremendously....(I'm in NJ).
    Honestly, Oahu is the worst part of Hawaii. It is mostly indistinguishable from Orange County California except that everything costs more and there are fewer options to choose from. But visually, everything looks the same, even the buildings are all hideous track homes that look like you're on the mainland. The back half of Maui, Kauai, and most of big island... when people imagine Hawaii that's what they are really imagining but they don't know it. Hawaii 5-0 has to totally go to extremes with camera angles and editing to hide all the homeless people, the litter, and make it look greener than it really is. They film near my office on a regular basis so I see it in action. If you ever come out, do yourself the favor and go to one of those three islands. You won't regret it.

I'd be messing up if I wasn't super organized. Even thought I'm a novice to FG....during my actual pen and paper TT days I was the dorky DM I guess -- I'd have folders (different folders for different parts of the campaign) stacked in order, my books for reference were neatly stacked...I had my DM screen up and notes on my story including some scripted lines of dialogue to read to my players, etc...
    Fantasy Grounds can really help with that. If you haven't discovered yet you can set text to appear in the chat as a narrative or even speak from the voice of NPCs. So instead of practicing, you can type it into a story entry and then share it live during play. If talking is easier for you than typing, use google docs and turn on dictation while you practice then just copy/paste.

Don't forget the added fun of using languages only a couple of the characters know.

I just use a simple approach that has worked for me

I label my maps using alpha and numeric codes

A1, A2, A3 and so on until the party finishes this "tileset", then its on to B1 etc

Then I create the encounters using the matching ID

while immersed in the adventure with numerous requests (currently running up to 6 players) its a no brainer to find the map and encounter I need. Oh this is A4, boom I click the encounter, drop the party and share the map. it takes all of a few seconds.

Generally try and use 1 letter per month...

I try to keep a number of the random generator tables handy, like NPC names, random questions and room descriptions. Some I print out BUT

There are some great products that plug into FG that are really a breeze to use and can help in a tight situation where you feel pressure to generate something on the fly
    Last edited by donpaulo; December 9th, 2018 at 10:05.
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Thread Information