5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Completely New Forum Member and new to FG as well...

First , I just wanted to say "hello". I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, I knew of FG for a few months because I saw it in steam but only just really started my research about a week ago. I have the demo version installed right now and I've just be going through it -- created some mock characters , etc. etc...

Anyway I'm also new to D&D 5th edition (which atm is the only rule set I'd like to play) I own the core rules hardcopy books, I realize I'd have to purchase them again for a complete FG DND 5th ed which is a little salty but I'll get over it...I understand...

I haven't played any table top RPG game for about 28 years (I'm in my 40's now). I used to be a DM with AD & D back in my teenage years. Not gonna lie, I'm intimidated to get back into it --- there's just so much knowledge I lack after 30 years and the 5th ed rules and also FG. BUT man I really want to jump back in and the concept of virtual table top RPG games -- has my inner nerd stoked.

Enough blabber though...I've got a lot of questions I hope you all do not mind...

Questions ---

(purchase related)

Is the only real difference between FG Standard and FG Ultimate just that Ultimate allows a DM to host anyone (even free players)?

Flowing from the first question -- I'd assume if you only want to be a player its near pointless to buy the Ultimate license then, correct?

If you buy standard now, but say 3-6 months down the road you want to upgrade to ultimate --- is there a discounted upgrade price?

(FG general / community related)

How supportive / tolerant is the FG community (especially DMs) with total noob players seeking to join their games? I feel I learn fast and I've been watching the FG college videos, reading the tutorials, etc. (as well as the 5e core books) ...but my first few game sessions I might seem like baggage to the flow of the session -- that's my fear anyway because I'm new to everything.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for any / all feedback.

Myth

Difference in license really is down to how many PCs with demo licenses and/or standard license.

As a PC, if DM uses Ultimate license (majority case), then the free demo is all you need. If DM is using standard, then you will also need a standard (realistically). Otherwise, as a PC, at least the standard license would be needed if you want to create and save your own content as a potential future DM.

Upgrades of license is something they do (on sale today in fact): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...upgrade&sort=1

In general, the community is very tolerant of new veterans (I'm one). If you are uncertain, just tell the DM when you first contact about your experience level and they can provide help.

Blog Entries
    Based on your previous history, you may want to look at Celestian's AD&D and 2e ruleset and/or Castles and Crusades.

Welcome. FG is worth every penny.
    Last edited by JohnD; November 23rd, 2018 at 18:42.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    You pretty much nailed the licensing.

For new folks there is lots of info. Their is the User manual, the forumsn, the wiki, lots of videos on YouTube and then their is FG College. They do free classes for new and experienced folks.

Lots of good people about, one of the reasons I chose FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Mytherus, and Welcome! to the Community,

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

You may also want to drop into the FG College; a great place for newcomers to get started.

And of course, there's plenty of Twitch Channels where you can watch games in progress (including my own - https://www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz - another Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thank you all so much for the feedback / answers I highly appreciate it and will take all your advice and tips into consideration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    I haven't played any table top RPG game for about 28 years (I'm in my 40's now). I used to be a DM with AD & D back in my teenage years. Not gonna lie, I'm intimidated to get back into it --- there's just so much knowledge I lack after 30 years and the 5th ed rules and also FG. BUT man I really want to jump back in and the concept of virtual table top RPG games -- has my inner nerd stoked.
    I understand where you are coming from as I had about a 20+ year break from D&D, and basically any other RPG, starting in '94. The long break you had might be more helpful than you realize for learning 5e. Even after all the years I find myself confusing old version rules (AD&D) with the new ones but IMHO, if you leave out all the optional rules and fluff books for 5e and stick with the core rules, you will find it very similar to AD&D.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Hi there!

I'll just add that I was the same as you roughly 2 years back. 25 year absence from tabletop, trying to get to grips with 5E and FG at the same time, hesitant. I posted a 'hello' and was met by many lovely and supportive folks. You'll love it. Get Discord in preparation, join up with the fine Fantasy College folks and join in their tutorial games. Once you feel comfortable you can start responding to the game posts in the forum, and an added bonus is some people might already know you from the FGC tutorial games - making you more likely to be accepted on board.

Good luck, and I give it a month before you are doing something creative because all the old juices start flowing. Map-making, modules, NPCs, graphics, DMing.... you know you want to, don't you? As you read that last sentence your fingers twitched in anticipation, right?

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Thread Information