5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Latest Update is giving me Connection time out issues

Currently I am having issues getting the latest update, when it gets to the WOTC5EMMDELUXE package it attempts to update the decal_MM.ext but has a network time out and doesn't get any further.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go into your vault folder in FGData (you can find the FGData folder by clicking the small folder icon on the top right of the start screen) and delete the file WOTC5EMMDELUXE and then try updating again.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Zacc, I deleted the file and tried to update again, but got the same issue :-(

If this happens with the first file being updated then there is something in your setup that is preventing FG from downloading the file. This is more than likely security software on your computer.

Make sure the network connection on your computer is set to Private (not public) and that the Fantasy Grounds updater is allowed/white listed in your security software.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

While my AntiVirus and networking setup hasn't changed (well the AV would have had updates) I checked through them and the network settings are definitely private and the AV is allowing the programs, so I'm not sure what is going on here

It's a wired connection, so no wifi thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Atua View Post
    While my AntiVirus and networking setup hasn't changed (well the AV would have had updates) I checked through them and the network settings are definitely private and the AV is allowing the programs, so I'm not sure what is going on here
    Things change all the time without us knowing.

As your screenshot shows that the first download is timing out then this points to something in your setup blocking the download.

What programs is your AV allowing? Try disabling it fully for a short time.

Do you have any other security apps? Firewall, anti-malware, etc..

Do you have any website filtering or such (e.g. parental controls) on your Internet router?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Modern Firewall and AV exception rules are usually tied to a specific binary. They typically show the exception rule in their UI as the full path and filename, but actually, they are also tying it to a specific version of the binary.

If the binary then gets replaced, the exception rule no longer applies as it was for the old binary, not the new one.

Your only solution is to delete the exception rule(s) and add it again. This will now lock it on to the new binary, and it "should" all work again.

I say "should" as there can be other reasons for the connection to fail, which are covered in detail on this forum.

So, whenever you see "FantasyGrounds.exe" in the list of files updated, and you are GMing, you'll very likely have to refresh the exception rule(s).

The application that does the updates is FGUpdaterEngine.exe usually found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds unless a non-default installation location was used.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 28th, 2018 at 18:59. Reason: Clarified updater executable

Thread Information