STAR TREK 2d20

Repoint Data Directory to a different user/folder on my computer?

Hi,

Any way to repoint the data directory to a different user/folder

I just realized in the FG settings the Data Directory isn't pointing to my Windows user account (let's call it BRETT) -- it's pointing to the admin user folder / account (let's call it ADMIN).

I have no idea how I set it up this way, but when I'm logged in as BRETT, the data directory is actually C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\ instead of C:\Users\BRETT\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\ .

I noticed as I was trying to drop Rob Twohy Conditions & Effects into the Module folder, and I realized I don't have a \Roaming\FG folder on my user account - it's pointing to my computer admin account :< .

Any way to change this without messing FG? To add to the confusion, if I click the "..." beside the Data Directory in FG Settings, I can't navigate to C:\Users\BRETT\AppData\ as AppData is hidden.

My apologies. I'm usually pretty tech savvy, but this has me stumped. Thanks!

Brett.

Blog Entries
    I suspect AppDAta is a system or hidden folder so you can't browse to it by default. In your browser, their is a view or windows setting options that allow you to show system and hidden folders. Enable that and see if it lets you browse to it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I suspect AppDAta is a system or hidden folder so you can't browse to it by default. In your browser, their is a view or windows setting options that allow you to show system and hidden folders. Enable that and see if it lets you browse to it.
    I did the above, and can see the folder in Windows Explore, but I can't browse to it from the FG settings "..." button :< .

(I tried moving Rob's Conditions module into the "ADMIN" ...FG\module folder, but that doesn't seem to be bringing up the effects when I load FG.)
    Last edited by BrettM; November 18th, 2018 at 00:02.

Some random bits hopefully to help:

* Turn on Show system folders option in Windows File Explorer to see the AppData folder.

* You can bring up the current FG data folder quickly by using the folder button in upper right of FG launch window.

* You can change the data folder for FG by changing in the FG Settings. However, remember that the current user must have full disk access to that new location, or you’ll get save errors.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks JPG. I believe I've accomplished your first bullet (I 'un-hid' folders prior to my original post):

Show Folders.PNG

I've also accomplished your 2nd bullet. It's the 3rd bullet I'm having trouble -- when I go to change the data folder, I can't navigate to \BRETT\appdata\... and "appdata" can't be found, even if the image above indicates all system folders should be shown.

This all started with me trying to install Rob's Conditions module -- and even if I install it in the "active" data directory -- C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules , it still doesn't show upon restarting FG :< .

I'm not sure which is the issue -- the data directory not pointing to the current user ("BRETT") but to the computer's admin user ("BRETT") or Rob's module not loading even if it's in the current FG data directory area ("ADMIN\etc\etc").
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you don't need to change your data directory, then don't. We've seen several instances where people have changed their directory, but haven't made sure that the folder/file permissions are set up correctly. The automatically configured one works 99% of the time.

If you still need to change it; you may not be able to navigate to an alternate AppData folder using the built-in folder selection dialog in the Settings. (It's a built-in OS dialog, and I'm not sure how it works with the hidden file explorer setting.) You can always navigate to the folder using Windows File Explorer, copy the path from there, then paste into the FG Settings.

Regards,
    JPG

On Linux you can just make a symbolic link, this probably won't help you though. On Mac I think it also supports symbolic links.

The selection dialog within settings allows for the picking of hidden folders, but I suggest you make a new directory on a non-system drive and change to that.
    Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made me hopelessly lost!

Thanks all. I think I'm going to stick with JPG's advice, which was my first instinct. I have no idea why I set up FG this way -- I typically segment things pretty well, and leave the Admin user really sparse (just for administrating the computer / OS / etc.). Oh well - thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you don't need to change your data directory, then don't. We've seen several instances where people have changed their directory, but haven't made sure that the folder/file permissions are set up correctly. The automatically configured one works 99% of the time.

Thread Information