Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Basic Starfield Map

All,

I've done some searching, but can't find a solution to my problem. I'm working on building my first module and one of the last things for me to complete is the maps. I've imported a few maps and lined up the grids so that they are ready for play. I'm even starting to do some masking for fog of war. When I attempt to import the basic starfield map the quality of the file seems to really go down a lot compared to what I'm seeing in the other apps I have open. Is this due to the size of the map and I need to shrink it down more to keep FG from trying to do it for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

What is the resolution of the map?

Maybe post some screenshots to show what you mean by the quality going down a lot in FG.

An a FYI - try to keep maps to a maximum of 2048x2048 resolution (keeps limited FG memory use at an acceptable level) and the file size to 1MB or less (keeps share time to players at OK levels).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The resolution was much larger so I reduced it and when saving the file using Paint.net I made the quality as high as possible while keeping the file at less than 1MB. I took a snip of the file open in Paint.net and FG side-by-side.

FG - Basic Starfield.png

Thanks,
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by defiNately View Post
    The resolution was much larger so I reduced it and when saving the file using Paint.net I made the quality as high as possible while keeping the file at less than 1MB. I took a snip of the file open in Paint.net and FG side-by-side.

FG - Basic Starfield.png
    So the issue is that the quality output from Paint.net is not great? If you open the saved image outside of FG it looks the same quality as in FG?

Also, I’d recommend using JPG for maps - you can usually get higher quality at lower file sizes.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry for not clarifying. The image on the left side is Paint.net. The degraded one on the right is in FG. In my process of troubleshooting I've been switching between the two formats to see if there was any difference.

Open the image you have in your FG campaign images directory in something other than Paint.net.

I have opened the image in Firefox, Paint, Paint 3D, and Photos. All of those applications show the image as expected. Is there maybe a pixel density difference when viewing in FG? For now I'll replace with a starfield image and just apply a hex grid to it. I'm happy to continue troubleshooting though.

Thanks,
    Nate

Here would only be a difference in pixel density if you zoom in.

Attach the image you’re using in FG here. Also attach a screenshot of FG showing the issue - with the whole image window shown.

Also, don't put the grid on the image - let FG handle laying the grid down.

Thread Information