STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

CoreRPG (PFRPG,5E/etc): Token View Options (Hide bars/effects from PCs)

NOTE:

This extension is no longer supported and does not work. It's feature is now built into FG.

This is a simple feature I've had in AD&D Core for a bit and up until tonight while watching @rob2e I forgot 5E didn't actually have it.

With the recent changes to CoreRPG it seems they bar/dot/effects functionality was pushed into CoreRPG so... I've ported my tweaks into a CoreRPG compatible extension.

This extension will allow the DM to configure the view of token health and effects so that the DM can see the NPC health and effects and the PCs cannot. Without this extension your players will be able to see the NPC health bars/effect icons if you make them visible.

You can see PC and DM views here and the config panel with the "new" options.

Version 1.0 : Initial release. (Tested with 5e and PFRPG. Should work with any CoreRPG based ruleset that has these bars and effects).

Note: The AD&D ruleset has this built in. This will not work with the AD&D ruleset.

Update 2.0: Updated for FG 3.3.8.

Download here:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by celestian; July 5th, 2021 at 17:15. Reason: 2.0 for 3.3.8 update
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Wow, Celestian. Another awesome one. Thanks.

I thought about using this extension but then decided I don't really mind the players seeing the damage bar. It keeps me from having to verbalize the current damage status for every single swing and lets the players know if they are terminally screwed and might be in over their heads. Still, it is always nice to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I thought about using this extension but then decided I don't really mind the players seeing the damage bar. It keeps me from having to verbalize the current damage status for every single swing and lets the players know if they are terminally screwed and might be in over their heads. Still, it is always nice to have the option.
    There is also the state in the CT they can see. The extension doesn't have anything to do with this but just FYI. You can use "simple" and view non-ally and then they can get an idea what state the creature is in w/o seeing the finer scale of the bar.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

So, is the main change that the GM and the players have separate display options for token health/effects?

Thanks,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    So, is the main change that the GM and the players have separate display options for token health/effects?

Thanks,
    JPG
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post

Thanks,
    JPG
    Would be great to have this in CoreRPG natively.

The changes are pretty simple all told.

I tried to setup different views for the name text but I just couldn't make that work due to how the things are setup right now.
    Last edited by celestian; November 11th, 2018 at 05:56.
    ---

Yeah, one of my main concerns is option explosion. The more options you have; the more possibilities for user confusion and being overwhelmed. Not everybody wants to fiddle with so many options. This increases the options, but not terribly. I wanted to make sure I understood what it did.

What were you trying to change for the name?

MW, I understand your concern about option explosion, but perhaps the ability to offer an "Advanced" button for an option set will let SW and modders offer the most frequent options but give more control for advanced users. I 100% support Celestian's call here because I have long thought that health bars or health numbers visible to players were metagaming, because players should only be able to qualitatively assess the health of opponents (even allies, but I can live with that).

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    the ability to offer an "Advanced" button for an option set
    What do you mean you want the UI to change?

i have no idea where i just downloaded this to, but i grabbed it as fast as i could!

could this combine with the KEN idea of the bigger icons? Should you two team up and develop both into 1 extension? i have no idea how either ork, so that is a serious question. all i know is Ken rewrote a LOT of the ruleset to make his magic work...

Thread Information