5E Character Create Playlist

How well can I DM with a "poor-man setup"?

Hello guys, me and my group are currently thinking about sharing the price and buying an Ultimate Fantasy Grounds key from Steam for me (the perma-DM, basically) to up our game a little bit, since we can't meet personally anymore. However, we are a bunch of middle class students from Brazil, and for those who don't know, our currency is very devalued in relation to the US Dollar so every international buy is VERY expensive to us. Considering that and what I've heard about people in the FG community being very friendly and helpful, so please, I would like to clarify two concerns I have before buying it:

- We will already spend a lot of money just to buy the Ultimate Key, so buying any book as well will be basically impossible for at least half a year. How well can we play with just FG Ultimate and no book or any other type of paid resource whatsoever? I'm decently experienced with the free version of Roll20 and I have a good amount of free time, and I'm also a pretty ok programmer, so putting stuff up from our physical books manually isn't a problem, as long as it is possible and at least as easy to do as it is with Roll20.

- We currently play D&D 5th Edition, which I know is the most supported system, so no problem with that. However, me and my players ran some one-shots with the Pathfinder 2 Playtest and we fell in love with it. In our next campaign, we definetly want to use it, and probably switch to it permanently when the final product releases. I know that the Playtest is currently supported, however, I would like to know how supported it will be when the final version is released. Is everyone that owns Ultimate FG going to get an SRD and some other PF2 stuff for free, like they do with PF1, 3.5, 4.0 and 5.0 nowadays?

The PF2 play test ruleset is free on Ultimate license. YOu'd have to make your own module to run, but it is very much quite playable, and you can get the rulebook PDF and updates for free on the paizo.com website.

Trenloe has done a spectacular job on the ruleset, and he keeps the dang rules within 24 hours of update on the Paizo site. Utterly amazing!

My team is having a blast with it. Totally free once you buy the Ultimate to play with a group.

Blog Entries
    I think you'll be happy. We actually have a few other Brazilians who are very active. You may want (not immediately, but in the future) check out the LPak Community Extension.

Anyway, back to your questions;
    - You'll be fine with just the free stuff. FG license includes the SRD and the Basic Rules. You can also add (through the UI) any classes, races/sub-races, backgrounds, etc that you want to and create your own modules of them so all your players can access them. Their is info in several sources, including videos on how to do that.
    - Well no way to guarantee the future. I suspected it will be as supported as 5E is. Our (the community) understanding is that FG has a full license for all PF2 content, so we expect that everything official will be available on FG as soon as its offcially released in print too. We can assume the SRD for PF2 (PFSRD2?) will be included for free, but until it's actually released we really can't say for sure.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    The PF2 play test ruleset is free on Ultimate license. YOu'd have to make your own module to run, but it is very much quite playable, and you can get the rulebook PDF and updates for free on the paizo.com website.

Trenloe has done a spectacular job on the ruleset, and he keeps the dang rules within 24 hours of update on the Paizo site. Utterly amazing!

My team is having a blast with it. Totally free once you buy the Ultimate to play with a group.
    Well, that alleviates me a little bit, but my biggest concern (related to this second point) is if the final version of Pathfinder 2 will also have free rules and a free SRD like the Playtest version and 5e do, for example, or if I'm gonna have to pay for those.

Oh, thanks! That basically answers everything (at least everything that can be answered by now)

Thread Information