DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    So if I understand what you are saying, the Savage World ruleset that I just purchased will be upgraded for free. Yay, didn't expect that, thanks.

On the other hand the ETU setting and module will need to be upgraded for $10 total, or $10 per module?

In addition it probably will be awhile and I shouldn't hold my breath. Seems like the physical for the new edition aren't due to mid-2019 so would that be an estimate on the time or longer, or less?
    I don’t read the announcement that way at all. My take is that existing users will get a ruleset update that enables you to take advantage of the changes SWADE will make, but will still contain the full SWD ruleset, including the GM and PG.

If however, you want the FG version of the new SWADE GM and PG, that will be a $10 fee, the equivalent to buying SWADE in pdf vs. print.

In either case, any existing content will work just like it does today with the existing SWD ruleset, but if you want to use it with SWADE (either version) you will most likely need to rely on conversion notes/material supplied by PEG and/or the 3rd party setting creator, just as you would at a physical table and in much the same way that Deadlands Reloaded doesn’t have Guts available as a skill since it was created before SWD did away with Guts as a core rule (so NPCs still have Guts, but the GM has to add Guts to a custom module for drag and drop, or have the players manually type it in on the character sheet).

As new settings/products are developed that use SWADE as their baseline ruleset, it looks like you will be able to use them with either the existing or the new ruleset; however, any rules that refer you back to SWADE (page references for example) will leave you in a similar position as trying to play in The Last Parsec setting without owning the Science Fiction Companion in FG. You can do it, it’s just easier if you have it.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on existing settings such as ETU getting upgraded to SWADE as I don’t think even PEG intends to do that. So far, they’ve only indicated that Deadlands Reloaded and some of the Companions will be updated anytime in the foreseeable future.

Blog Entries
    @esmdev, mac40K did a pretty good summary.

Update

mac40k's summary was correct.

There will be new store product for SWADE which will cost the same as SWADE PDF rulebook and has to be purchased separately. The new product will give you full SWADE experience, ie. the ruleset and new core rulebook modules (GM and PG). The SWADE ruleset is also provided for Savage Worlds Deluxe product owners for free. What existing Deluxe product owners won't get for free are the new core rulebook modules. This allows existing Savage Worlds Deluxe owners, who doesn't want to purchase the update, to use the SWADE ruleset and work out rulebook module changes themselves.

In practise there will be two Savage Worlds rulesets: SWD which represents Savage Worlds Deluxe functionality and existing SavageWorlds which is updated to represent SWADE rules. Existing SavageWorlds campaigns will have option to upgrade campaign to SWADE rules which would apply data migration but you can also keep using Deluxe rules with SWD ruleset. New campaigns can decide to be either SWD or SWADE based by selecting corresponding ruleset.

All existing modules such as settings and adventures will be usable with both rulesets.

It is also important to note that SWD ruleset is not going to be abandoned, instead it will be maintained and updated along with SavageWorlds ruleset. This is achieved with ruleset layering (SWD will layer on top of SavageWorlds ruleset).

Regarding SWADE ruleset development, the work has already started and my work effort estimation for it is about 2 months. However note that this is not in calendar time, but overall time required to do everything regarding it. At this stage I cannot provide estimates when it will be complete because I am very busy with personal life and have little time to invest for SWADE development. Remember that I am community developer, with actual daily work and family to take care of. However because the SWADE ruleset is provided for existing Deluxe product owners I have plans to arrange public alpha and beta testing for the new ruleset. The public ruleset testing will start when ruleset has been developed to certain point (alpha stage) and PEG has released SWADE rulebook PDF for stores.

I will let everyone more details when development has progressed further!
    Last edited by Ikael; November 8th, 2018 at 18:44.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Blog Entries
    So wait... the "SavageWorlds" ruleset will be upgraded to SWADE but still keep the clunky old library pages SWD GM Guide and Player Guides, which don't feature the actual SWADE rules the new ruleset features? I fail to see the logic behind that.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the layered SWD ruleset $10 and that includes the SWD books? Then the SWADE ruleset could have the SWADE books, and everyone is happy.

I didn’t get anything with those abbreviations and the difference between the various rulesets, that I wasn’t aware that exist for Savage Worlds...
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    So wait... the "SavageWorlds" ruleset will be upgraded to SWADE but still keep the clunky old library pages SWD GM Guide and Player Guides, which don't feature the actual SWADE rules the new ruleset features? I fail to see the logic behind that.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the layered SWD ruleset $10 and that includes the SWD books? Then the SWADE ruleset could have the SWADE books, and everyone is happy.
    SWADE store product will contain the newest ruleset and new SWADE rulebook modules.

Existing Savage Worlds Deluxe owners will get the SWADE ruleset (without new rulebook modules) in addition to what the already have: Ruleset and Deluxe GM and PG modules. The difference is that the existing ruleset SavageWorlds which currently represents Deluxe rules, is going to be updated to represent SWADE rules. The reason for this is that it is much easier for all users to know that SavageWorlds ruleset is always representing the most recent rules. If you want to use previous ruleset you use SWD.

Technical reason behind this is that SavageWorlds ruleset is the top notch developed ruleset with all the new bells, whistles and features (not necessary rules related). SWD ruleset is layering on top of it to gain benefit of all the new features, but it will also make sure what it represents Deluxe rules.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Ooooookay...? I still don't get it. All the current ruleset owners get a free, awesome upgrade to the brand new mechanics and systems of SWADE but no actual in-FG books that inform us about these new mechanics and systems? Then it sounds like it's another $10 for a second copy of the same ruleset the updater just installed, and only that one has the new books that inform us of the SWADE rules.

I don't get it.

I still think having a separate layered SWD 'downgrade' ruleset + SWD books makes more sense to get the most value out of that $10.

It's a way to allow people to keep running the SWD rules; without requiring a whole bunch of work from Ikael to keep two completely separate rulesets up to date and compatible with multiple DLC. With this approach, the SWD ruleset inherits all the main ruleset code and DLC support, and only needs to change specific rules and sheets to match SWD needs.

Basically, SWADE is going to be sold separately no matter what; but this provides the best all-around support for both new and existing SW users, while at the same time minimizing the long-term development cost of both products. Believe me, Ikael considered a lot of options (and got input from Doug and I), and this was the best balance of end user support and development expense.

If existing SWD owners want to just keep playing SWD without worrying about SWADE, then they can.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    So where does the secondary SWD ruleset come in? Is it included in the SavageWorlds ruleset to enable switching between rules? Then only the separately purchased SWADE ruleset comes with the actual SWADE books?

Like mentioned, there will be two separate products with following content

Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition (what you can already get from the store)

• SavageWorlds ruleset
    • SWD ruleset
    • SWD GM module
    • SWD PG module

Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (upcoming new store item)
    • SavageWorlds ruleset
    • SWADE GM module
    • SWADE PG module
    • SWADE Theme (not decided/designed yet)

Technically speaking SWD ruleset is dependent on SavageWorlds ruleset because it layers on top of it. Because of this Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition store item will provide it. Basically the same baseline ruleset (SavageWorlds) is provided by both store items for technical reasons. If you want to get full experience of SWADE recommendation is to purchase the new store item.
    Last edited by Ikael; November 8th, 2018 at 22:45.

Thread Information