STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Savage Worlds Adventure Edition - Development Plan and Update

Ikael (our community developer) has taken this on his plate along with managing the Savage Worlds line.

Per Ikael:

Here is our plan:
    • Existing SavageWorlds ruleset would be further developed to be SWADE and a new layered ruleset SWD would be created
    • The new SWD ruleset would layer on top of SavageWorlds (SWADE) and would offer changes to backward-grade it to Deluxe edition.

Generally it is much easier to provide backward-graded ruleset than try to build new rules on top of previous. This allows Deluxe to get all new features that are developed for the baseline-ruleset.

And the plan about purchasable products,

• Existing DGASW3 product would provide following content:
    • SavageWorlds ruleset (SWADE rules!)
    • SWD ruleset (Deluxe rules)
    • swdeluxe_gm module (accessible only from SWD ruleset)
    • swdeluxe_pg module (accessible only from SWD ruleset)

So yes, existing customers would get SWADE ruleset for free, however...

new purchasable SWADE product would provide following content:
    • SavageWorlds ruleset (SWADE rules!)
    • swade_gm module (accessible from SavageWorlds ruleset)
    • swade_pg module (accessible from SavageWorlds ruleset)
    • The new purchasable product would provide new FG modules for $10, like what you would have to do by getting PDFs. It may include an updated ruleset theme (undecided still) as an extension.

Very exciting
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Thank you! Is there some timeline available? Nothing sharp but something like "Until christmas" (presents!) or "Until Q1/19) would be VERY helpful.

No timeline yet. The Kickstarter hasn't even finished yet; and it does take time for development. I'm sure that Ikael will provide more details when he has something to share.

Regards,
    JPG

Hello JPG,
    as a trusted partner, I am sure you guys already have at least a final draft or something

So if I understand what you are saying, the Savage World ruleset that I just purchased will be upgraded for free. Yay, didn't expect that, thanks.

On the other hand the ETU setting and module will need to be upgraded for $10 total, or $10 per module?

In addition it probably will be awhile and I shouldn't hold my breath. Seems like the physical for the new edition aren't due to mid-2019 so would that be an estimate on the time or longer, or less?

Blog Entries
    Until I hear otherwise, the current plan has been for the SWADE ruleset to automatically work with the existing SWD DLC, of which there are many, obviously.

As for timeline, last I spoke with Ikael, he estimated it would take a month-ish or so to do the coding once he receives the final manuscript. To date, Wizards of the Coast is the only publisher that has signed up for a Same Day Release program, so unless that changes with Pinnacle overall, or an exception just in this one case, I would plan for roughly a month or so after the books ship next year.

Pinnacle will likely have their "finalized" version fully available in PDF before physical books ship. At least that's the way they've often done their Kickstarted products in the past. In fact it's not uncommon for them to release an initial pdf to backers once they have an internally edited version completed (what would normally have been the finalized version they send to the printers) and then many backers will hammer their way through the book and post (usually to a thread Pinnacle starts for that purpose) to gather all of the now crowd-sourced editors out there to fix any missed errors or potential clarifications that might be needed. Then maybe a couple of months after that initial release they'll then release the truly finalized version which will be the one they are sending to the printers. So backers will have that version well before the print release.

So while the Kickstarter itself lists a June 2019 delivery date that will be for physical product, but for digital their stated Jan 2019 date is likely to be far more correct and that should probably be the version Ikael will base his final code release on. Arguably he may well be able to start sooner with that initial pdf that goes to backers maybe, possibly (definitely-don't-hold-me-to-it-and-I-don't-work-or-speak-for-Pinnacle) in December. Or he might hold off but largely I would expect that initial release they usually send out is pretty good. That's strictly conjecture based on how their other Kickstarters have gone, mind you.

Based on that my guess is that Ikael will be able to start his side of things around December or January at the latest. I have no idea how long it will take him to get all of it set up for release to Test, let alone when the finalized FG release will be. Ikael has proven to be crazy good and quick, though, so I have high hopes there. Maybe even as early as a February or March release? I'll have my fingers crossed but that's all just a guess on my part for a possible timeline.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Let's not set an expectation on timeline too soon. There are a lot of moving parts, including Ikael's personal schedule, Pinnacle's schedule and Smitework's schedule. Plus, since Ikael is looking at trying to get previous DLC to work with SWADE, I assume there will be some data updates needed for many existing SW DLC products. As I was saying, let's wait until Ikael has enough data that he feels comfortable providing more information on timing.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Until I hear otherwise, the current plan has been for the SWADE ruleset to automatically work with the existing SWD DLC, of which there are many, obviously.

As for timeline, last I spoke with Ikael, he estimated it would take a month-ish or so to do the coding once he receives the final manuscript....
    Having had a discussion with Ikael after our game session on Tuesday, we were discussing the problems the changes to the chase rules would cause, I would not assume any timescale can be set in stone BEFORE the final ruleset is released.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information