DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazetar View Post
    How on earth do you find what you are looking for on that map?
    AFAIK you simply scroll into the map using the mouse whell, which spreads pins apart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazetar View Post
    Okay, now that looks like the direction I'm heading :O
    How on earth do you find what you are looking for on that map?
    Hover over all the pins in the relevant area til you find the correct one?

How's performance impacted for this? Not as much since it's DM only, or?
    Zoom in. Then the pins spread out.

So here's the thing, what are you using the pins for?
    In the UM case, I'm using it so that I can track where the party is on the map, and what is near them. (Note the story title showing with the mouse over). I drop a "Party" token on the map so I can track them. Here's the map zoomed into a party location;
    Screen Shot 11-03-18 at 08.49 AM.PNG

And then when needed I can open the linked story entry which then has the room description, boxed text, link to the locale battle map (a zoomed in high resolution version of the map), link to the encounter & treasure parcel, and as well as links to other story entries, rollable tables or anything else appropriate for that location. And, in my case I also include a note to the coordinates of the location, because the map is so large, if someone opens a story entry, this way they can reference back to the map and say 'ok, this location is in sector D6, let me go find it'.
    Screen Shot 11-03-18 at 08.51 AM.PNG

So, in this case, I'm using the pins to get the info on the things that are in the area I'm interested in, and I know where the area is because that's where the adventuring party is.

But, if you want to look at a whole city map and know where all the blacksmiths are, or where all the city watch guard posts are, or other 'demographic' type of info, pins are not going to work well. That's where a color coded map comes in.

And from what I can tell, all the pins does not impact performance. After all, the pins are only a handful of bytes worth of information (coordinates). Opening that map takes something like half a second, and I suspect that's all because of the size of the image and not the number of pins.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Oh, the other suggestion I will say if you are populating something like this, create a story template that creates stories entries with a consistent layout. Maybe a few story templates if you have different types of entries you want. But, consistency is important for ease of use. Once people get familiar, all of your entries should have the same layout. For example, here's the story template I use for these entries;
    Screen Shot 11-03-18 at 09.00 AM.PNG

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    As I did with Pathfinder Magnimar, I favour the approach to pin a enlarged picture of a district, to reduce the amount of pins on the overview map. Within the district, I then A) put pins for all relevant locations, and B) a pin to the overview map, to ‚zoom back‘. Of course all on the GM map. I never do pins on player maps.
    I like this idea!

I've mapped Waterdeep. It is a lot better than just paper, but it still wasn't fantastic.

This is my opinion, but I think that the best thing to do would be to dupe the map off and create maps with related types of businesses. For instance, a map will all the inns and taverns, another with all the armorers and potion makers, another with noble houses, another with guilds, and so on. Reduce the number of pins on map by pre-filtering the content.

EDIT: I am waiting to see what features FGU offers before I waste any time trying to work inside the current constraints of the FG engine. A big city map, frankly, will probably prove to be a huge waste of time once new features arrive. If the new version FG doesn't manage new map markers and layered images, I am going to be fairly disappointed. If the text engine doesn't have embedded image support, you guessed it, I am going to be somewhat disappointed. (Dynamic lighting was shown - a feature that I really don't want, need, or care about - but it sure sounds a lot more complicated than putting different colored pins on a map, eh?) So I am just saying, maybe you might end up getting across the finish line only to discover that there is another race in the offing.

Last edited by Topdecker; November 4th, 2018 at 01:41.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I've mapped Waterdeep. It is a lot better than just paper, but it still wasn't fantastic.

This is my opinion, but I think that the best thing to do would be to dupe the map off and create maps with related types of businesses. For instance, a map will all the inns and taverns, another with all the armorers and potion makers, another with noble houses, another with guilds, and so on. Reduce the number of pins on map by pre-filtering the content.

EDIT: I am waiting to see what features FGU offers before I waste any time trying to work inside the current constraints of the FG engine. A big city map, frankly, will probably prove to be a huge waste of time once new features arrive. If the new version FG doesn't manage new map markers and layered images, I am going to be fairly disappointed. If the text engine doesn't have embedded image support, you guessed it, I am going to be somewhat disappointed. (Dynamic lighting was shown - a feature that I really don't want, need, or care about - but it sure sounds a lot more complicated than putting different colored pins on a map, eh?) So I am just saying, maybe you might end up getting across the finish line only to discover that there is another race in the offing.

Ultimately Top - at this stage FGU is only advertising feature parity and similar UI/UX.
    Achieving these things and backward compatibility are the primary 1st stage goals.
    Once they are bedded down then feature improvements will start to happen.

That doesnt mean there will be no new features in FGU version 1 but it totally will not have all the bajillion things that people have expressed as their Unity wants.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Oh, the other suggestion I will say if you are populating something like this, create a story template that creates stories entries with a consistent layout.
    Or use the DOE:Locations Extension - its what it was built for, after all
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Oh yea! For a city, DOE Locations would be great

Funny how you might have thought of that! *G*

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    That doesnt mean there will be no new features in FGU version 1 but it totally will not have all the bajillion things that people have expressed as their Unity wants.
    I understand, Damned. Even so, I doubt that I will be disappointed .

Guesstimating 04/2019 as the release month. I am surprised that a lottery hasn't formed for it

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I've looked at the extension more than once, but never loaded it up. I guess that it was never too clear to me about how it interacted with a map / story entry.

Thread Information