FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Dungeonfog

Dungeonfog

Hello all

Does someone know Dungeonfog, a mapmaker (see here: https://www.dungeonfog.com/). Looks interesting, but I wonder if someone tried this out and has some experience with this. There is some free version for testing which I try out

Best,

Kelrugem

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried it yet but it looks interesting. Appears more user friendly than Dungeon Painter Studio, IMHO.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I have used both DPS and Dungeonfog - and I would honestly rather use DPS. I was unimpressed by dungeonfog - I have a premium subscription, but it seems like there are still very few assets available... I am unsure, I may just be doing it wrong... but with the addition of Forgotten Adventures Patreon stuff on DPS - I have *really* enjoyed playing around with it and making some halfway decent maps.

I own DPS and recently tried out Dungeonfog (DF) for my current campaign. It's worth noting that while the end result (battlemaps) might be the same, they are very different programs. DPS is a tile mapper, while DF is a more of a drawing program. DF is still in beta and as the program matures, I expect that it will only get better. For my game, I ended up drawing just the basic layout in DF, exported it, and then used another program to insert the other assets I wanted to use from my collection.

You can add your own assets to Dungeon Fog. I have added a bunch from my personal library for my use.
    Last edited by Andraax; October 26th, 2018 at 23:46.

I use DF all the time now for my battle maps. The polygon tool for rooms makes it easy to edit, and meld your rooms into shapes that would be tricky for other programs. DPS and others like are are stamp tools, or if they do have polygon tools, they're mostly for "drawing" a wall, but then editing it later becomes an issue.

DF is great for drawing layouts, and yes, their prop set is still very limited at the moment, but I've uploaded a large number of my own custom props, and that combined with the room tools have made making large interiors far easier than other programs.

If you frequently need to make room layouts, DF is a great solution with their free tier.

Personally for me, I use wonderdraft for my overland maps, and DF for my battle maps now. Ocassionally I'll do extra touch ups in GIMP for my DF maps, but as DF has matured I've needed to do this less and less.

Also @Mac, DF officially released today, they have a bunch of new features like dynamic lighting for illuminations and such.

Thank you very much for your answers Then I am looking forward to try out Dungeonfog

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    You can add your own assets to Dungeon Fog. I have added a bunch from my personal library for my use.

Is premium only good for early access then? I only see a handful of "default" assets

I bought Dungeonfog this week and I think it is great at making maps quickly that look decent. It has a shallow learning curve and it automatically puts things in the right place, joins stuff up and puts them on the right layers. It is super easy to do lighting effects and fading textures and it is really good at putting things on the right layer. The selection assets for premium members is ok. It has assets for a variety of settings, sci-fi, victorian, modern & fantasy, so it covers all bases. It would benefit from more assets, but it has only recently released and they are apparently working to introduce more. You can also import your own assets if necessary.

Overall, I am happy with the program so far. I don't plan on creating professional maps with it, but for creating a solid map for that scene you are running I think it is great.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Not sure if I understood the data privacy part and the usage terms correctly, but as far as I understood you can access your content as long as you have a subscription running. It will be kept there for some time, in case you are going to renew at some time, but that‘s it.
    I don‘t like
    A) to be excluded from my content, when I’m not permanently paying
    B) to put everything in the cloud, where you have no guarantee on someone stealing your intellectual property
    C) you can‘t modify your content with many browser, like safari on iPad

But hey, as anyone likes it. It‘s nothing for me...

Thread Information