DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How do I add 1[W] to a power's damage without modifiers?

How do I add 1[W] to a power's damage without any modifiers?

If I use the obvious method (see image below), FG automatically adds the STR and half-level modifiers (+4 and +3 respectively) to the 1[W] roll. This character has a weapon with brutal 2 properties, and I would like to just add 1[W] of extra damage (see fighter attack: Power Strike) including the brutal property, but with no other modifiers.
    Power Strike.png

The only way I've been able to get this to work correctly is to subtract the modifiers manually (see image below).
    Power Strike1.png

I would expect that if I just input 1[W] and nothing else, it should not include other modifiers from the combat tab. Below is the weapon entry in the combat tab for reference.
    Weapon.png

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by cwsoots View Post
    How do I add 1[W] to a power's damage without any modifiers?

If I use the obvious method (see image below), FG automatically adds the STR and half-level modifiers (+4 and +3 respectively) to the 1[W] roll. This character has a weapon with brutal 2 properties, and I would like to just add 1[W] of extra damage (see fighter attack: Power Strike) including the brutal property, but with no other modifiers.
    Power Strike.png

The only way I've been able to get this to work correctly is to subtract the modifiers manually (see image below).
    Power Strike1.png

I would expect that if I just input 1[W] and nothing else, it should not include other modifiers from the combat tab. Below is the weapon entry in the combat tab for reference.
    Weapon.png

Any suggestions?

Hi!

You do it like this:

1) Add an effect power action (right click the space between the power name and the square that opens the power; select the two o'clock option that looks like an arrow; select the 5 o'clock option that looks like a walking man)

2) Type in (or copy paste from here)

DMGW: 1

3) Toggle the TRGT thing to SELF

4) Toggle the ALL thing to ROLL

When a power strike is used, just click that button before rolling dmg and it adds exactly 1[W] to the damage roll, including properties of the weapon like brutal etc. If you want to add 2[W] you'd just make it DMGW: 2 etc, easy enough.

Edit: Just btw: A damage roll should never include half level, that's only for attack rolls in 4e. The 7 that is added when you do that is the same +7 you put on your weapon in the combat tab.
    Last edited by Llyle; October 23rd, 2018 at 23:08.
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

Thanks again for your support, Llyle! You're turning out to be my go-to person for 4e guidance. Your suggestion works great and correctly includes the brutal property, and I'll definitely use that method from now on.

I'm still confused about why specifying only 1[W] as a damage action should roll anything more than just 1[W].

You were correct that the +7 was incorrectly referenced earlier. I had swapped the attack and damage bonuses in my initial inquiry. Regardless of my error, the point of my confusion regarding included modifiers is still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by cwsoots View Post
    Thanks again for your support, Llyle! You're turning out to be my go-to person for 4e guidance. Your suggestion works great and correctly includes the brutal property, and I'll definitely use that method from now on.

I'm still confused about why specifying only 1[W] as a damage action should roll anything more than just 1[W].

You were correct that the +7 was incorrectly referenced earlier. I had swapped the attack and damage bonuses in my initial inquiry. Regardless of my error, the point of my confusion regarding included modifiers is still valid.
    Glad I could help you!

Well, FG knows the 4e rules. In 4e you basically never only roll just the weapon damage by itself, there are always some bonuses to the roll, like enhancement bonus, feat bonus etc, so if you put 1[W] in a power action, FG will think you want a regular roll, adding in all the stuff that is set up in the combat tab.

What you can do:

A) Just drag and drop one of the dice into the chat window, like rolling dice at a table IRL, rerolling for brutal if needed

B) Set up a different weapon in the combat tab (call it "[W] only" or something), with ONLY the weapon die and brutal property and put that weapon's number into the Power Strike power (in the field to the far right), so it will use that one.

Have fun and if you have questions, just ask
    To err is human.
    To arrrr is pirate.

Whenever you have a power that gives you extra [W], it's considered to be a modifier to another damage roll. The DMGW: # effect was designed for those situations, because you apply the effect before you make the roll that you are modifying.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information