5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'm in the exact same postion as Guenni1985 - we used FG without issues (on the connecting side) until I moved and my ISP (same, Unitymedia NRW) used that chance to switch from ipv4 to ipv6.
    Ever since we can only play using Hamachi (and using it twice as above to go beyond 4 connections.

However, most of us are rather uncomfortable with using VPNs...partly for security concerns, partly for technical issues - when something doesnt work, its not easy for the average person to fix it, compared to before where all they had to do was start FG and enter those 4 words to connect. Also, changing ISP isnt really an option. For one, most are heading this route but also, Unitymedia hosts all of our services in a package, TV, Phone, Inet and overall we have no issues.
    As for asking them for an IPv4 address...I think that is still possible but only when you register a business account. For us thats approx 20-25 EUR per month additionally.

The brings me to my core question....is it already a given that whenever FGU is out, that it will support IPv6? Can we expect (ok, hope) that with FGU we no longer need any VPNs?
    (nice new features aside, thats the big, number ONE reason we are waiting for FGU)

Quote Originally Posted by Valhingen View Post
    The brings me to my core question....is it already a given that whenever FGU is out, that it will support IPv6? Can we expect (ok, hope) that with FGU we no longer need any VPNs?
    (nice new features aside, thats the big, number ONE reason we are waiting for FGU)
    Yes, IPv6 will be supported. Many people who use VPNs now with FGC will not need them with FGU.

Some info here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3pXhhoTQwM. (Doug talks about FGU networking for a couple of minutes from 49:10).

There will always be the edge cases where some groups may still need to use VPNs - but these will be where there are restrictions at the GMs location (hosting from work, China, hosting on a restricted apartment complex shared network, hotels, etc.).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you - thats a big relief for us Now, what did you say the date was for its release? j/k ... looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Now this is based on a conversation I had with someone other than Doug and it was some time ago...
    At that time it was not a given that IPv6 would be implemented.
    What was going to be implemented were other methods of doing the connections - eg via a brokered server connection where players and gm can connect to a central server to establish the sessions.

It was some time ago and thus early in the piece.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of applicattions and networks today are still IPv4 - even in countries like Germany - the traffic is (not so?) simply NATd to IPv4.
    The worlds biggest and busiest sites are dual stacked but most of the traffic hitting those sites is still IPv4.
    And the vast majority of sites are still IPv4 only.

Since my ISP supports IPv6 (but does not require it) I took the opportunity of being on vacation to get IPv6 setup here at home, as well as a TOR relay / bridge and an onion website. So, I'm all set for the future. :-)

Why dodn't you setup a VPS, that way you just need to send the group that IP address?

Another possibility we just successfully tried out is, to rent a Win10 server on the cloud (we used amazon aws, t2.medium for approx. 5 cent an hour) with the demo license of Fantasy Grounds, and the player with IPV6 remotely connects from his Win10 client using ‚mstsc‘ to this server, starting Fanasy Grounds and connecting from there.

A short heads up for other users of unitymedia.

If you book the power upload option you'll get IPv4 as a byproduct, but it costs additional 2,99€ per month.

All cloud providers have IPv4 in the stack so I use the smallest possible Linux VM in Azure and remote port forwarding over SSH session. My players connect to the machine without issues and the only drawback with this configuration is that the alias system does not work, as it has no idea that there is port redirection and tunnels that deliver the traffic on the local IP.

AWS offer Amazon Linux as free tier and can be used for some time free of charge, paying only for the public IP.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    All cloud providers have IPv4 in the stack so I use the smallest possible Linux VM in Azure and remote port forwarding over SSH session. My players connect to the machine without issues and the only drawback with this configuration is that the alias system does not work, as it has no idea that there is port redirection and tunnels that deliver the traffic on the local IP.

AWS offer Amazon Linux as free tier and can be used for some time free of charge, paying only for the public IP.
    Are you SSH tunneling?
    The other downside to that is the connection is throttled to a fairly low speed.
    I do this as well when Im somewhere tricky and while the lower speed has never been an issue for me it could be if sharing lots of stuff.

Thread Information