STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds and IPv6

[MODERATOR - created new thread from FGU thread]

I recently changed my ISP and now have no ip4 line to HOST any Games (online). I have NO clue about installing VPN Clients and i think that it shouldnt be necessary to do it.
    Thats why i want FGU the most. Im aware that you cant upgrade the old FG to work with IPv6 so i long for a fast release.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 22nd, 2018 at 08:46.

What major brand IP provider in your region won‘t support IPv4 anymore? Just curious, because I know the majority is providing IPv4. Maybe you can even ask them, if using IPv4 would be possible somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guenni1985 View Post
    I have NO clue about installing VPN Clients and i think that it shouldnt be necessary to do it.
    Unfortunately, if your ISP is purely IPv6 then your main option with the current FG application is to use a VPN. The core networking of the current FG is not going to be changed just to support IPv6 (it probably isn't even possible with the current network libraries used) when a new architecture is on the horizon.

If you want help setting up a VPN then please start a new thread with your questions/needs for assistance. I'm sure we can help get you up and running.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Unitymedia in NRW, Germany . They are a newer Company, so most of the ip4 adresses are already bought by the older ones. they are saving theirs for buisness accounts.

@trenloe
    I know that FG cant easily change its networking with the current engine.
    I had one VPN running for an old game without online Multiplayer once, but that particular one seems not to exist anymore.
    I just have opened a free hamachi server, but that will only enable up to 4 players and that may not be enough all the time, since my actual home game has 6 players.
    Any recommendations for free VPN solutions?

Oh new thread Material

I just have opened a free hamachi server, but that will only enable up to 4 players and that may not be enough all the time, since my actual home game has 6 players.

Oh new thread Material
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ng-Try-Hamachi

See "How to get more than 4 players connected" at the bottom of post #1 in that thread.

And, yeah, any further discussions should be in a more relevant thread. Thanks!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@trenloe

Oh new thread Material
    As you haven't created a new thread yet I couldn't reply there (sorry trenloe)

Have you tried a dynamic DNS? For free ones you could go with something like noip.com ; you would need to confirm your free account once per month but I believe it can route to IPv6 addresses.

Be easier than a VPN and have less impact on your connection.

there is no new thread because it already existed

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    As you haven't created a new thread yet I couldn't reply there (sorry trenloe)
    No worries. I've moved the relevant posts to a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    Have you tried a dynamic DNS? For free ones you could go with something like noip.com ; you would need to confirm your free account once per month but I believe it can route to IPv6 addresses.

Be easier than a VPN and have less impact on your connection.
    I'm not sure how that's going to help, to be honest. Everything in FG Classic is IPv4 - it doesn't use IPv6 at all. From the local communications, to UPnP attempts on the router, to the FG alias functionality. There may be some ways of converting IPv6 to IPv4 (NAT64 for example, if that's possible with the FG IP packets - it might not be) but this could get very complex - as the players and GM would need to do things differently than just running FG, and the alias functionality probably wouldn't work as that uses IPv4 only. I don't think this will be less complex than using Hamachi, probably much more complex.

A paid VPN, like PureVPN with a static IP, is even easier than Hamachi - just the GM has to use the VPN and the alias functionality works, the players don't need to do a thing. But, it's paid, not free.

However, there may be some other option or process that might be possible out there. Perhaps someone in the community might know of a way of bodging this together?

Thread Information