STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: NPC Engineer

NPC Engineer

Hi everyone...Rob here again. I have started to use NPC Engineer to put together a module of monsters for use in FG. I have watched the excellent video by the person I think who created the application. I have followed everything as closely as I can, but when I try and open the module in my library I get an error message: "Database Error: A XML parse error occured processing file My Monsters:dbxml - Error on line 140: Error reading end tag"
    I am not really proficient in this department so any advice or help you can offer would be great.
    The module is in the correct file in FG and it should up in my library list of modules I can choose, but as soon as I load the module that is the error message that pops up.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    You have an error in the db.xml of your module. The end tag for line 140, or a line just above it, has the wrong end tag on it - or at least a tag it wasn't expecting.

Post or pm the file, and I can help you further
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post
    You have an error in the db.xml of your module. The end tag for line 140, or a line just above it, has the wrong end tag on it - or at least a tag it wasn't expecting.

Post or pm the file, and I can help you further
    Hi Mortar...Thanks for your response. I actually ended up deleting the offending module and the campaign into which it was loaded. It wasn't a real loss as I have other campaigns that work perfectly fine. I am going to go back into NPC Engineer and try other parser to see if the results are different. If I have the same error I will certainly post or pm you. Thanks for all your help and interest. This FG community is just awesome! Cheers!

Hey Pappinr

If the person in the video had a Scots accent and was unbelievably handsome, yes - it was me

The XML error that you're seeing usually happens because of something to do with the 'Description' box. It uses RTF and has been the bane of my bloody programming life! Sadly there are no other 'free text' controls available to use, so I am somewhat stuck with it. I think more updates have been due to that box than anything else in the application.

First thing to check - are you using the latest version? The latest version installs as 'Engineer Suite' and the initial window has 6 choices, one of which is NPC Engineer. If not, install it - it may be the version you are using doesn't have all the updates mentioned above.

Next thing - join the Discord channel in my sig. We can chat in real time there (assuming we're both on!) and I'll work through any issues with you. We can even screen share if it helps.

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    Hey Pappinr

If the person in the video had a Scots accent and was unbelievably handsome, yes - it was me

The XML error that you're seeing usually happens because of something to do with the 'Description' box. It uses RTF and has been the bane of my bloody programming life! Sadly there are no other 'free text' controls available to use, so I am somewhat stuck with it. I think more updates have been due to that box than anything else in the application.

First thing to check - are you using the latest version? The latest version installs as 'Engineer Suite' and the initial window has 6 choices, one of which is NPC Engineer. If not, install it - it may be the version you are using doesn't have all the updates mentioned above.

Next thing - join the Discord channel in my sig. We can chat in real time there (assuming we're both on!) and I'll work through any issues with you. We can even screen share if it helps.

Maasq
    Thanks Maasq...I will definitely follow your directions. Since it is 10pm here in Canada I am sure you are off now, but I will try and follow up with you tomorrow. I did indeed place text in the description box so if you suspect that is the problem then we can look into that. I do believe I have the latest version of your amazing application. Watching your YouTube video, I can tell the version I am using is updated and improved. And I do have a suite of applications from which I choose NPC Engineer. I am going to go in now and see what I can make up and will touch base tomorrow to see what you think. I will have to figure out Discord again, as I have been away from it for a while. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply...and you do in fact seem to be the gentleman in the video! Cheers!

Thread Information