FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

New to FG, a couple of questions

Heya Folks, want to say I just signed up and so far everything I have encountered looks really cool and the documentation both on site and on youtube is fairly comprehensive, however there are a few things that I'm having questions about.

I am coming from roll20 for reasons of principle; I'm trying to get everything set up on here as quickly as I can so I can get things set up for my players. Have their characters transferred over as easily as possible and suchlike. So, without further delays or backstory..

1. How does one create races with various options/sub-options such as alternate racial traits, ethnicities or even Bloodlines.
    2. I often have players who use strange races, including races with racial HD, such as centaur etc, but trying to drag and drop those results in... nothing happening, would I have to recreate those as races as opposed to monsters in order to allow that, and if so, how do I account for racial HD.
    3. Where are archetypes, traits, flaws and drawbacks?
    4. How do I add/create templates for players/monsters. (when I search for templates on the forums all the results seem to give is "story template")

And finally, for now,
    5. With the eventual release of Pf 2.0, do you intend to continue to acquire licenses for pathfinder material, Adventure Paths, source books etc..

Blog Entries
    Welcome TobyFox2002

3.5E/Pathfinder does nt have all the drag and drop features that 5E has.
    You might take 30mins to fire up a Pathfinder game and grab some of the Pathfinder OGL/PRD modules (see sticky post).
    This might give you a better idea of the data setup.

The licensed Pathfinder material is newer and does have some more options but still not quite as much drag and drop as 5e.

Yes - Pathfinder 2 will be fully licensed and supported.
    If you get the PF Starter/Playtest adventure module you can start playing now - the ruleset is under development still and is being fast tracked.

I understand that it doesnt have all the drag/drop features that 5e has. But what is the general work around? I cannot afford the other content just yet, and have tried watching the videos on "what they offer," it didnt tell me what I wanted to know.

I dont really have any interest PF2, what I wanted to know is will you still be releasing content to regular pathfinder. A lot of places are like... well.. new and shiny is out.. lets not do anything for previous versions (or the company stops doing licensing for older content). And while pathfinder 2 certainly has some interesting content and mechanics changes, it also has some of the SAME things that made me turn away from Dungeons and Dragons when they went to 4e and then 5e.

Finally what about my other questions, Archetypes, Alternate Racial Traits, Drawbacks, Templates and selecting Monsters as Races. Is that support added if I download the relevant book, or just not here at all?

Thank you very much for replying it is very much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Sorry - I misunderstood.
    Most of the DLC content is created by community devs under agreement with Smiteworks (and the Publisher of course). This does mean that the content that gets converted tends to be driven somewhat by the community devs interests. But yes - more Pathfinder 1E content is likely to continue for quite some time.
    I dont use Pathfinder so I cannot answer your specific ruleset questions.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
    I understand that it doesnt have all the drag/drop features that 5e has. But what is the general work around? I cannot afford the other content just yet, and have tried watching the videos on "what they offer," it didnt tell me what I wanted to know.

I dont really have any interest PF2, what I wanted to know is will you still be releasing content to regular pathfinder. A lot of places are like... well.. new and shiny is out.. lets not do anything for previous versions (or the company stops doing licensing for older content). And while pathfinder 2 certainly has some interesting content and mechanics changes, it also has some of the SAME things that made me turn away from Dungeons and Dragons when they went to 4e and then 5e.

Finally what about my other questions, Archetypes, Alternate Racial Traits, Drawbacks, Templates and selecting Monsters as Races. Is that support added if I download the relevant book, or just not here at all?

Thank you very much for replying it is very much appreciated.
    Archetypes - not in core - dunno if the others have these - but considering you can just type in what you need or copy/paste it's not a big deal

Alternate Racial Traits - again - not in core - but you can delete stuff you don't want and put in stuff you do want pretty easy.

Drawbacks - no system for these at all that I can tell - you'd have to add them in as custom stuff and decide where you wanted to track them

Templates - if you mean to make new monsters with on the fly? You should check out the Green Ronin 'Advanced Bestiary' which adds this functionality (so it claims) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=GRR2901e

I use hero lab - and copying a monster statblock from hero lab into the 'creature parser' is 99% perfect - so I can't be much help there.

Monsters as Races - this is supported - every bestiary has any player race built in - so if you own the bestiary product with the race you can drag/drop the race into the sheet.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to chime in to let you know that we do hope to continue supporting Pathfinder 1.0 in addition to 2.0. We have a lot of customers and some of our devs who are still very much interested in the first version. There are a ton of books , supplements and adventures (9 years worth) to do still for version 1.0, though, so it will take some time. The character building support within FG will allow you to link pretty much everything you need to your character sheet, but it is not at the level of HeroLab for Pathfinder. Many of the features will be represented but not fully automated. We've decided upon the Special Abilities section as a sort of "kitchen sink" for anything that is not currently automated.

Is there a list of what automation/parsing works for creating new races and new classes?

Perhaps my searchFoo isnt as strong as I thought it was, but I'm just not finding anything, when ever I try to search for stuff, all I get is stuff for 5e. Videos for 5e guides for 5e..

For example, I'm trying to do something for a large race.. I type in what I expect to work based on instructions:

CreatureName are Large and take a –1 size penalty to AC, take a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks, and gain a +1 size bonus on combat maneuver checks and to combat maneuver defense.

Which is straight from paizo in terms of syntax, it works for medium or even small creatures.. but nothing happens. I understand you said there is much less automation in Pathfinder but this is kinda a bit much..

I type in what I expect to work based on instructions:
    Can you provide a link to the instructions you're following?

CreatureName are Large and take a –1 size penalty to AC, take a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks, and gain a +1 size bonus on combat maneuver checks and to combat maneuver defense.

Which is straight from paizo in terms of syntax, it works for medium or even small creatures.. but nothing happens. I understand you said there is much less automation in Pathfinder but this is kinda a bit much..
    When a race is added (dragged) to a PC, the parser will primarily look at the name of the "Traits" on the "Other" tab of the race record. Then, if the name matches with a few pre-defined words/phrases, the text of the trait will be examined for further details.

What tends to happen with things like parsing (in any of the rulesets) is that they evolve as the official products are converted to FG and have the need to check for new words/phrases. At this point, there hasn't been a playable race in the offical Paizo FG products (to the best of my knowledge) that is other than small or medium - hence the rules currently only look for small or medium.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 8th, 2018 at 18:40.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Instructions... as in... copy it exactly as it would read from the default statblock out using the normal wording.. Dont really have a link..

Predefined, so.. basically the pathfinder system is locked, don't supposed the parsing code is something that can be created or altered as part of the xml or ext files... I am no programmer, but my copycode skills are good enough for most straight forward tasks.. I'm a bit OCD GM (well extremely OCD), and dont want to have to go in and manually edit, or have my players when another way exists.

And as for a playable race that is large.... Centaur to name one, though I've gotten into many arguments about that being an acceptable race for players.

Predefined, so.. basically the pathfinder system is locked, don't supposed the parsing code is something that can be created or altered as part of the xml or ext files...
    The PFRPG ruleset is not locked - it's the Paizo official content that is encrypted. You have full access to the base ruleset, which is where the code is.

The PFRPG ruleset layers on top of the 3.5E ruleset - where the parse code is. Look at campaign\scripts\manager_char.lua in the 3.5E.pak ruleset file.

And as for a playable race that is large.... Centaur to name one, though I've gotten into many arguments about that being an acceptable race for players.
    The key thing I mentioned was "...[parsing] evolve[s] as the official products are converted to FG..." Centaur is in the Advanced Race Guide - which hasn't had an official FG conversion yet. I've amended my post to clarify.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information