Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Player cant connect to me (DM) but can connect to other server

So im running into a strange issue. My first time running a campaign, one of my players can not connect to me, but 2 others can connect with no problems. They player who can not connect can connect easily to 2 other servers that he plays on (including one that one of the other players DMs in regularly). Ive got my 1802 opened/forwarded, we tried getting him to connect using the 4 word alias, his config log was showing the correct IP and the test on my end was successful (obviously since other players could join)

Not sure how to troubleshoot this since other player can connect to me, and he can connect to other servers.

Blog Entries
    An error message would help.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hi Kahtee, welcome to FG.

Make sure the player is using the correct alias. If he is then ask him to try to connect using your external IP address rather than the alias. Make sure also that he has a unique username and not the name of one of the other players.

Failing that something on his end is preventing the connection - possibly his Anti Virus, or something on his router like parental control or flood protection.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome to the FG forums!

This will more than likely be something on the players end, as Zacchaeus suggests. Get the player to check that their network is set to "Private" and that their security/anti-virus software has not suddenly started blocking FG. Can they run an update OK?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey everyone,

Im pretty sure he was getting the standard error message for not being able to connect, but ill ask him for the exact one when we get a chance to try again. Already tried connecting via IP and Alias. I dont think he was trying to connect with the same username as someone else. its just strange hes still able to connect to other FG servers except mine.

Blog Entries
    If noone but the problem player try to connect to you is he still blocked? What version of FG do you and the player are using? If you have a standard version only 1 player can connect with the demo version.

Blog Entries
    The internet is a wild, unruly, loosely governed place that usually works extraordinarily well because everyone involved wants it to but with 4 billion IPs to route between sometimes stuff gets messed up.
    The GM and this one player might consider joining a Hamachi network together until the issue clears itself up.
    The other players can continue to connect via Alias.

Tried with another player again tonight. He was able to connect. 3 players can connect and 1 cant so far. His network is set to private instead of public as well. Here is the error message:

[04.06.2019 02:52:12] Runtime Notice: User 'Username' attempting connection to 'XX.X.XX.XXX:1802' using alias 'crazy castle epic keep'
    [04.06.2019 02:52:33] Network Notice: Client unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Check your network settings and verify the host address, then try again.

As im typing this, he tried pinging my IP and he cant ping it, requests are timing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtee View Post
    As im typing this, he tried pinging my IP and he cant ping it, requests are timing out.
    Get him to do a tracert instead of ping, see if it is blocked early in the steps, or later - this might help to give an idea of what is blocking - but it won't be 100% accurate as a lot of Internet devices won't respond to ping/tracert requests.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here is the output if his tracert, looks like hes getting blocked when it gets to me?

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
    2 11 ms 18 ms 12 ms XX.XXX.XX.XXX
    3 8 ms 8 ms 10 ms Po122-rur02.nchicago.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.182.45]
    4 9 ms 12 ms 9 ms ae2-acr22.nchicago.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.85.180.74]
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.

Taking down windows firewall completely on my end didnt work
    Last edited by Kahtee; June 4th, 2019 at 04:31.

Thread Information