DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    You see I am used to Klooge. And in that I tend to use 800x800 icons. Then you designate how big they are in feet or meters on the map, and they show up at the right scale. It may seem like lots of resolution until you zoom alll the way in. (And both the players and the GM have that choice, independently.) Once you zoom in the detail shows. Otherwise the icons look jaggy.

I was just trying to decide on a couple of things. The first is the difference. The second is if there would possibly be a market for such things. Apparently Four Ugly Monsters is selling some. Since I now own 4 of the RPG systems and have lots of icons and the capability to create more, I was curious what the standard was here. (GRiP and ScreenMonkey both use 32x32.) kLoOgE only cares in as much as larger icons eat up bandwidth.
    That which does not kill you, has made a tactical error.
    For insight and an opportunity to play in my Wednesday evening Traveller (T20) campaign visit my webpage. No license required.

If you plan on making tokens, and would like for them to be compatible with all the virtual tabletops (to broaden the potential market), I suggest you make them large, and then rescale them as needed for each program. Will you be making PNGs? I'd be curious to see a sample of your work.

I definitely think there's a market for this sort of thing, as Devinnight has proved. And if you feel like doing something slightly different, consider providing tokens in various poses (idle, fighting, sitting, prone/dead, riding, etc.).

That is about what I was thinking. Properly scaled for each system. Though GRiP using .ico and 5 pictures per icon, is annoying. Otherwise I think png would be best.
    For insight and an opportunity to play in my Wednesday evening Traveller (T20) campaign visit my webpage. No license required.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca
    If you plan on making tokens, and would like for them to be compatible with all the virtual tabletops (to broaden the potential market), I suggest you make them large, and then rescale them as needed for each program. Will you be making PNGs? I'd be curious to see a sample of your work.

I definitely think there's a market for this sort of thing, as Devinnight has proved. And if you feel like doing something slightly different, consider providing tokens in various poses (idle, fighting, sitting, prone/dead, riding, etc.).
    A Sample. Sure. What do you want? Front view, side view and/or top view at what resolution? What type of game? What are the basic characteristics of your character you want done?

I mostly prefer top view, but if you're doing them with a 3D app like Poser, it's neat to also have a front view (larger) to use as a character portrait. Preferably saved as a PNG with transparency so that you can overlay it on any background picture.

Make whatever you want. I'm not picky. A medieval guard/soldier or an innkeeper might be useful, I suppose.

OK. Tavern Owner sample.

Switching to JPEGs for our purposes here, though I definitely prefer png for actual use. Comments are welcome. (I threw these together. in the 800x800 top view I noticed when I posted it here that the mugs are a little off.)

From the front 800x800. Suitable for character portraits, or use with a system that uses front views for icons with lots of bandwidth.

Token (128x128)

From the top. (800x800)

And the 50x50 from the top.
    Last edited by bhoins; July 1st, 2006 at 13:04. Reason: Fixing links

Sorry, none of those links work for me. Could you please email them to heruca at mac dot com, if you can't fix the links?
    Last edited by heruca; July 1st, 2006 at 06:14. Reason: added email address

Well crap. I guess it is more difficult to post a png than I thought. Sorry about that.
    I'll see what I can do. In the mean time I will email them to you.
    Bruce

I'd use imageshack, its easier. Or google image hosting, plenty of options then.
    Alea Iacta Est
    The Die is Cast!

Quote Originally Posted by tdwyer11b
    I'd use imageshack, its easier. Or google image hosting, plenty of options then.
    I stuck them in my yahoo briefcase. Everywhere else I tried would only let me upload jpegs.

Thread Information