5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Silly question about icons in Fantasy Grounds

What is the ideal size, in pixels, for person sized icons in Fantasy Grounds? (Both the character portrait and on the map please.) I had a couple of interesting thoughts.

Thanks
    Bruce
    That which does not kill you, has made a tactical error.
    For insight and an opportunity to play in my Wednesday evening Traveller (T20) campaign visit my webpage. No license required.

Quote Originally Posted by bhoins
    What is the ideal size, in pixels, for person sized icons in Fantasy Grounds? (Both the character portrait and on the map please.) I had a couple of interesting thoughts.

Thanks
    Bruce
    It has been unofficially agreed upon that 50x50 is the standard size.

I use 50x50 for Med sized tokens on the map and... 63x63 for portrats.

rv

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
    For insight and an opportunity to play in my Wednesday evening Traveller (T20) campaign visit my webpage. No license required.

Thats what we are here for.

rv

*shrug* I use 32 pixels for medium but most here use 50. It boils to how many map squares you wish to see at once vs how "pretty" you want your tokens to look. The default round letter tokens are 16 pixels.

I also use 63x63 for portraits (those are scaled, though) and 50x50 for tokens.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

So the general consensus is 50x50 for people. If a person is 50x50, How big is a Dragon?

At 50x50 for medium a Great Wyrm would be 6 squares by 6 squares or 300x300. This is a good deal of your map on 1024x768 the default FG screen resolution, especially when you consider a creature of this size normally has 20' reach, so they control an 8x8 square.

On the 32x32 size I use for medium they it would be 192x192.

I didn't mentioned it above, butas Darkstar says, the default portrait size in the game is 63x63. I personally use 64x64 because that makes my tokens exactly half the size of the portraits.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 29th, 2006 at 23:07.

With the introduction to the zooming effect, all that matters is that the token is recognizable.

The 50 px standard was agreed upon before the zoom function was added.

We are patiently awaiting a fix for the token box that would give thumbnails of tokens, as the aforementioned 300 x 300 px dragon looks weird as it overruns the token box, needing a seperate bag if there are more than 2 tokens of the same size.

Short answer, use any resolution that you like, just account for the zooming function, and you would be fine.

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Thread Information