STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Zacch's solution of adding , melee, ranged will work for that, as any spell that is doesn't have an attack roll associated with it has no attack range tag (i.e. melee or ranged)

Awesome. I will test it out later tonight.

Something isn't registering correctly. This is what I currently have for the self targeted effect:

IFT: CUSTOM(Hex); DMG: 1d6 ranged, melee, necrotic; (C)

So far, it correctly applies the necrotic damage with melee and ranged weapons to a target with the hex applied to it. It will not add the damage to Eldritch Blast though.

You may need a second line for the Eldritch Blast with just the necrotic damage; I.e without the melee, range modifiers. I can’t test right now but I have a feeling that range only covers non spell ranged attacks.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That is unfortunate. I was hoping to have the Hex spell fully automated.

I guess I could add a second damage option to Eldritch Blast. Something like the Ice Knife spell. You just have to remember to click the one with 1d10 force + 1d6 necrotic when you are targeting your Hex target. That way, if you score a crit, the dice will double automatically.

Eldritch Blast 0.jpg

The two easiest options are as follows

A) create attacks for all of your attack roll based spells (in the weapon section)
    B) set the self applied effect (the IFT) to have a 1 round duration or to expire after the next action. The user will need to remember to click it each time they make an attack, but I don't find it that hard to track (rogues do it with sneak attack frequently)

Also, if you haven't already remember to add (C) to both effects so concentration is in play. (I add it to the self applied effect as well just so it clears if the player ever fails their concentration check)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You may need a second line for the Eldritch Blast with just the necrotic damage; I.e without the melee, range modifiers. I can’t test right now but I have a feeling that range only covers non spell ranged attacks.
    Your feeling is correct. Spell damage rolls do not have the range tagged to them.

The [ranged] effect descriptor is matched against the details the the [DAMAGE] text reported in chat: [DAMAGE (M)] for melee and [DAMAGE (R)] for ranged - based off the range icon set for the weapon entry.

For spells the damage roll will always say [MELEE] - i.e. no range descriptor. Even though there might be an attack action in the same spell, the damage action doesn't read that attack action to determine range.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor_007 View Post
    That is unfortunate. I was hoping to have the Hex spell fully automated.

I guess I could add a second damage option to Eldritch Blast. Something like the Ice Knife spell. You just have to remember to click the one with 1d10 force + 1d6 necrotic when you are targeting your Hex target. That way, if you score a crit, the dice will double automatically.
    You don't need to be as specific as that since there are a lot of possible spells with a ranged attack. All you need is a second line in your Hex Spell DMG: 1d6, necrotic with an expiration of on next action. The Player will need to apply that effect to their character before rolling damage if they are casting an appropriate spell.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ohhhh ok. Something like the code for a Sneak Attack. That is less complicated than re-coding each spell.

I feel a bit like Homer Simpson sailing across the Springfield gorge. Everything looked good, but the code fell short by just a bit. At least multiple solutions are hashed out.

Is there a proper forum for posting up code for abilities/feats/powers? I poked through the listings and nothing caught my eye. I am still getting the hang of the syntax for the FG code, but I do have some aptitude with coding. I went Mech. Eng. rather than Elec. Eng. but it was a close call. Right now I am trying to translate the syntax on the WiKi to the actual code written. The square brackets are throwing me for a loop. That is why I post pictures of the written functional code.

Thread Information