5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

How to code the Hex spell

I sat down and decided to get the Hex spell working properly. In its vanilla form, the Hex spell gives you a damage buff, but not much else. With these modifications, the spell will check your target to see if you actually hexed them and apply the appropriate disadvantage on ability checks. I hope that this helps people keep track of the enemy that they hex. It also uses the concentration tag to make sure that the concentration rules are adhered to.

To use the code:

1) Apply the first effect to yourself
    2) Apply one of the next 6 effects to your Hex target
    3) Attack

Overview of the Code:

Hex Code 0.jpg

Self Target Hex Code:

Hex Code 1.jpg

Code for Disadvantage on Ability Checks:

Hex Code 2.jpg

Just modify the ability score for each separate effect. The ability score must be in lower case letters.

Welcome to the forums Trogdar.

You need to limit the Hex spell's damage to just melee and ranged attacks; since you don't get any additional damage if you are casting a spell on the target for example. So you would need IFT: CUSTOM(hexed), 1d6 necrotic, melee, ranged.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Zacchaeus,

I had to double check the wording on the Hex spell. For the extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the hexed target it specifies "whenever you hit it with an attack". Wouldn't this encompass everything from direct attack roll spells like Eldritch Blast to save or take damage spells like Fireball? Even on the save for half damage spells you are still hitting your target with an attack. Did they errata the Hex spell to specify that you do not get the extra damage on spell attacks?

The Hex spell states "whenever you hit it with an attack." It doesn't specify the attack type.

If you hit something that does not require an attack roll (such as any spell which just requires the creature to make a saving throw) then it isn't an attack. So hitting something with a sword or a bow or a spell such as Fire Bolt is an attack. However casting a Fireball is not an attack.

An attack requires you to make an attack roll; so the Hex spell only delivers the extra damage if you make an attack roll.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Does FG recognize such spells (firebolt et al) as "ranged" attack types?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Zacchaeus,

I agree that at a glance RAW, things require an attack roll to be an attack. However, spells like Fireball, Cone of Cold, Magic Missile, and Burning Hands are still attacks. The spell section in the PHB gets a little grey in this area. It outlines spell attack rolls and spell saves and a means to determine if the spell takes affect. There may not be a "to hit" roll with Fireball; however, the target is still hit by the spell and damage follows.

The key aspect is the spell taking affect. With a melee or ranged attack you either hit or miss. Either the attack affects the target or it doesn't. With a direct spell attack roll you either hit or miss. With a spell save, the target either passes or fails the check. To me, it is the same thing.

I would argue that any spell that deals damage to a target is an attack. This would validate the conditions for applying the additional Hex damage to spells that require a save.

I think this is progressing towards a discussion on RAW vs RAI. Has anyone seen a post by the WotC crew on this issue?

Page 194 of the PHB says 'If there's ever any question about whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack.' A fireball does not make an attack roll wheras a spell where you must roll to hit is.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/15/hex-atttack-roll/

However it's your game. Your rules.

I can't really argue with the developers of the game.

I am trying to get a blend between the rules and the interface (Fantasy Grounds). Code is very precise and rigid. Is there a way to improve the coding of the Hex spell to differentiate between damage resulting from an attack roll and damage from a save or ability check?

If Fantasy Grounds currently does not differentiate, then for the sake of simplicity and automation, I would push for all damaging spells to get the bonus 1d6. Alternatively, the effect could be ended for the damage roll and reapplied afterwards for the odd time the damage wouldn't apply.

Use the effect that I posted in post#2 above. The damage from the Hex spell will only apply if it is done from a melee or ranged attack. So it will work just fine if a roll is made to attack but it won’t fire if a spell which only requires a save is cast.

Thread Information