STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 19 First 1234513 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    If we lost you because you really don't like the general interface, then I don't think FGU is going to bring you back.
    or lack of updating could drive more people away, or fail to gain new people due to the outmoded and outdated UI design.

4 years could have given a whole new updated rewrite and allow everyone to remake their content rather than worry with backward compatibility. with running parallel systems.

that is a lot of time wasted to change very little...

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I think it is fair to say that we've lost some potential customers & users due to port forwarding and lack of dynamic line of sight.
    those 2 things, shouldn't have taken 4 years as the only major upgrade to an aging software package.

the post tells people to not expect any better window management from FGU. it will just big as big a mess as it currently is, and cost more money to rebuy something you already own.

By the way: Is there any way, we as users are able to support you guys to make this a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Razortide View Post
    By the way: Is there any way, we as users are able to support you guys to make this a thing?
    Use your wallet in the Store Standard way to support companies.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

It's not about supporting a company, but supporting a cause :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Use your wallet in the Store Standard way to support companies.
    The problem with that is that it supports the status quo and doesn't in any way let them know that I would be spending even more money if they got Unity out.

I love Fantasy Grounds and I'm being as patient as I can for the Unity version but my guess is we are at least a year away still. If I remember correctly from previous comments, there was a list of 25 pages of 'stuff' that they wanted for Unity. There are 5 pages left (as of a month or three ago - I don't really remember). They've been working on it for 5 years, so approx 4 pages a year, which means there is approximately a year left before beta.

I'm in NO WAY saying that it's easy. I myself am currently maintaining a growing system while trying to create a completely new version from scratch. The new version needs to do everything the existing one does, but better and more. It's a gigantic pain in the ***. I know it's a lot of work.

When potential new users come to these forums and see that the thread asking for a release date for Unity is over 4 years old they get the (honestly correct) opinion that it's vaporware. Or worse(?), they get the idea that it's coming out 'soon' and don't buy anything. By the time it comes out they are going to be so heavily invested in Roll20 that they won't be able to afford to come back.

My concern is that by the time it's done (if it ever is), it'll be antiquated and in need of a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    The problem with that is that it supports the status quo and doesn't in any way let them know that I would be spending even more money if they got Unity out.

I love Fantasy Grounds and I'm being as patient as I can for the Unity version but my guess is we are at least a year away still. If I remember correctly from previous comments, there was a list of 25 pages of 'stuff' that they wanted for Unity. There are 5 pages left (as of a month or three ago - I don't really remember). They've been working on it for 5 years, so approx 4 pages a year, which means there is approximately a year left before beta.

I'm in NO WAY saying that it's easy. I myself am currently maintaining a growing system while trying to create a completely new version from scratch. The new version needs to do everything the existing one does, but better and more. It's a gigantic pain in the ***. I know it's a lot of work.

When potential new users come to these forums and see that the thread asking for a release date for Unity is over 4 years old they get the (honestly correct) opinion that it's vaporware. Or worse(?), they get the idea that it's coming out 'soon' and don't buy anything. By the time it comes out they are going to be so heavily invested in Roll20 that they won't be able to afford to come back.

My concern is that by the time it's done (if it ever is), it'll be antiquated and in need of a new version.
    Unfortunately, all of this.

When I first came to FG from Roll20, I saw the potential in Unity, and was very excited. Then I realized how long Unity had been in development with very little progress to show for it and had to temper my expectations.

I still feel FG is currently as good as Roll20 overall (each has some strengths and weaknesses compared to the other platform) and that I got my money's worth. FG is, after all, significantly cheaper than Roll20 over time (assuming you upgrade your Roll20 account to Pro, which I did).

But at this point, I'm convinced that Unity will not happen any time soon. So I'm prepared to deal with the platform, as is, for quite some time. In fact, I hope not much changes on the current platform, since that development time means it came from time that could have been spent on Unity.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Blog Entries
    While dynamic line of sight would be nice, a lot of peoples on roll20 don't have it either because you have to pay for it. And you can show and hide part of the map with the fog of war in FG. Of course we all want FGU for many reasons, but we will get it when it's ready

I am fine with FG at present and would rather wait until Unity is finished.. Problem with releasing something that is half baked even to people who say its fine with them, there are going to be just as many people bitch about things not working correctly and wanting their money back ... Case in point is the "Starfinder" rule set. far as I am concerned its not done until the starship combat tracker is completed . I GM one game and decided to shelf it until the rule set is finished.. Just not worth the aggravation . Until then Ill save my money and go back to D&D .

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

I have been around FG since mid 2.0. I remember when Unity was announced. It sounded AWESOME, but. I can play my games with FG as is, i would rather Unity is released when it performs to Smiteworks expectations. I have stopped waiting, it will come out when it will come out. All this automation won't do me any good, since i play games that doesn't have a fancy ruleset anyway.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

Thread Information