DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 19 First 123412 ... Last
    So what you are saying is we DON'T want a No Man's Sky?

My take, for what its worth.

If folk aren't happy with Fantasy Grounds Classic, they probably won't be happy with Fantasy Ground Unity either. I don't think masssive UI changes are on the cards.

• It will have better networking, less handholding DMs through the connection process.
    • It will have better memory management, less worrying about sharing stuff.
    • The overwhelming majority (all?) of the stuff that works on Classic will Work on Unity.

I don't see how releasing a half-arsed version of that will convince people to stay.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; October 3rd, 2018 at 14:41. Reason: list and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersandrew View Post
    If folk aren't happy with Fantasy Grouunds Classic, they probably won't be happy with Fantasy Ground Unity either. I don't think masssive UI changes are on the cards.
    I 100% agree that Smiteworks should not release Unity until it is ready.

But I can say that the way maps seem to work in the Unity demos is a huge UI boost. When I first came to FG from Roll20, the way maps work in FG was almost enough to send me back to Roll20.

I could be wrong. But it looks like Smiteworks is making maps work a lot like Roll20, which is huge because that is the best thing about Roll20 compared to FG.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    But I can say that the way maps seem to work in the Unity demos is a huge UI boost. When I first came to FG from Roll20, the way maps work in FG was almost enough to send me back to Roll20.

I could be wrong. But it looks like Smiteworks is making maps work a lot like Roll20, which is huge because that is the best thing about Roll20 compared to FG.
    I have seen the map demos and they were very, very impressive. I'm looking forward to having that. I hope you're right and the new version gives you map functions that replace Roll20 (which you obviously liked for its maps).

Anyway, They've held their nerve for four years or so, I don't think they're going to rush anything out at this point.

Blog Entries
    I think it is fair to say that we've lost some potential customers & users due to port forwarding and lack of dynamic line of sight. FGU should hopefully bring many of those people back. If we lost you because you really don't like the general interface, then I don't think FGU is going to bring you back.

While your map tools could use some improvement, I think the "general interface" gets and keeps players.

Dynamic lighting and line-of-sight would be nice, but those aren't the features I really enjoy when I use other platforms. It's the simple stuff, like being able to type text onto the map, or mix freehand and shapes in different colors, or put an aura around a token. All of those little quality of life map tool things don't really come close to the automation, data organization and record integration, and combat tracker in Fantasy Grounds. That "general interface" is boss.

Well, I for one don't want FG to look like roll20!

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    Well, I for one don't want FG to look like roll20!
    Yeah FG is a bit clunky and poorly designed from a UX standpoint, but it is LEAGUES above roll20 in that regard.
    Clunky, slow, nested.. these are all adjectives I use to describe the roll20 interface.

Fantasy Grounds is excellent for me. It pretty much does what I need it to do to play any game I feel like playing. I really want a dynamic lighting feature but that isn't a must have for me for when/if the Unity version is released. I will buy Unity when it comes out because I expect it will deliver the same level of enjoyment I currently receive from Fantasy Grounds. I have had a few disappointments, sure, that's to be expected, but nothing that I can't manage on my end.

Would I like to see Unity sooner? Yes. Would I be concerned if it had bugs to start with? No, not really. Can I wait until Smiteworks is ready to release? Yes.
    Last edited by yeknom; October 6th, 2018 at 04:26. Reason: typo
    DM/GM Since 1985. Unity and Classic Ultimate License.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I think it is fair to say that we've lost some potential customers & users due to port forwarding and lack of dynamic line of sight. FGU should hopefully bring many of those people back. If we lost you because you really don't like the general interface, then I don't think FGU is going to bring you back.
    True. Port Forwarding is so 2008. I can live with everything else and I really love the interface, but in 2018 it is unacceptable to rely on IPv4 (which is not even supported by my ISP anymorei.

Thread Information