STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... Last

Release Fantasy Grounds Unity now...

...or else all the Roll20 converters are quicker gone than u think .
    I know this will put a lot of pressure on you, but its a great chance you shouldnt throw away 😄👍

Blog Entries
    So they should release something that's not stable?
    Has bugs and will probably crash regularly?
    Performs poorly?
    Can't be used with existing content?

Come on, think about it, if they had something that they were comfortable releasing, they wouldn't be continuing to develop it. Sure, now would be an opportune time to release it, if it were ready, but releasing it before its ready could be enough to set back the company a decade.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Best to wait

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So they should release something that's not stable?
    Has bugs and will probably crash regularly?
    Performs poorly?
    Can't be used with existing content?

Come on, think about it, if they had something that they were comfortable releasing, they wouldn't be continuing to develop it. Sure, now would be an opportune time to release it, if it were ready, but releasing it before its ready could be enough to set back the company a decade.
    So I too am anxious for Unity, but I prefer them to get it close to right as they can before release. I know there may be kinks, but I'm willing to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by thorun09 View Post
    So I too am anxious for Unity, but I prefer them to get it close to right as they can before release. I know there may be kinks, but I'm willing to wait.
    One option, though I am not necessarily suggesting it, is to release a test version to people actually interested and able to test/play with a non-release version. I know I would do this even if there were bugs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Locotomo View Post
    ...or else all the Roll20 converters are quicker gone than u think .
    I know this will put a lot of pressure on you, but its a great chance you shouldnt throw away ����
    I doubt anyone who gives the program a real shot will be gone that fast, there aren't really many other VTT of note on the market and what FG does well it does really well.

FGU will be great, and I really want it too. But it isn't ready and that is just reality sadly.

What about an ultra light demo version?
    A sheet tool, some dice and some map features and most importantly video chat functionality .
    You don‘t have to put in all the rules sets, combat tracker and backwards compatibility
    On the other hand, if you want to stay with the old version for some time , is it not possible to at least make Fantasy Grounds able to open multiple windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Locotomo View Post
    What about an ultra light demo version?
    A sheet tool, some dice and some map features and most importantly video chat functionality .
    You don‘t have to put in all the rules sets, combat tracker and backwards compatibility
    On the other hand, if you want to stay with the old version for some time , is it not possible to at least make Fantasy Grounds able to open multiple windows?
    As someone who has worked in software development... That would likely add months and months of time to the development schedule with little to no benefit. Better to just put out a beta when it is in a polished enough position to do so.

And open multiple windows? You can have multiple instances open at once already. I am not sure what you mean by open multiple windows unless you are asking for the elements to be floating windows elements. In which case no the program doesn't support that and I don't believe unity will either.

Sadly this limits multi monitor support to extended mode currently.

Yes, unlocking at the least the character sheets and putting them on a second monitor would be cool.

I wouldn't keep chasing the next high as a user. The current Fantasy Grounds is great as it is. If someone doesn't see the added benefit of FG over Roll20 right as it is now, let them stay with Roll20. Welcome warmly the users who decide to enjoy FG right now, and ensure them that the creators actually enjoy having them as part of the community.

I'd rather not have it released in an unfinished state. I've seen too many games pushed out way before they were ready (total war rome 2 anyone?) and it has taken devs of these games a long time to repair the damage both to their game their reputations. Personaly I think FG & Smiteworks are in a nice place in terms of community relations and I wouldn't want that peed all over by a rushed half arsed release.

Thread Information