DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 18 of 19 First ... 816171819 Last
    As I suggested in your other post take out a subscription for the classic ultimate license and then buy the Unity ultimate when it releases. If Unity releases in December you will have paid a maximum of $30 for the sub, and the upgrade from classic to Unity will likely be more than that. Of course if the Unity release is delayed the figures will change.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Fantasy Grounds has a different architecture than Roll20. In Fantasy Grounds all of your data lives on the GM's machine. They can't just put up servers, they'd need a fundamental rewrite of the whole thing, that would be even more radical than the move to Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gissur View Post
    Why does not the devs have their own servers? I understand its an economical questions but frankly, 2-3 racks with a total of maybe 15 servers, a monthly cost of not too much, will be enough for probably the entire FG community.
    Then again I have no idea of the financials of the dev team.
    You do realize that technically, if SmiteWorks or Roll20 hosts your content, they own it? I prefer to have stuff I've developed on my computer where I own and control it.

Blog Entries
    The subscription is probably the best route for you at this time. Note that we also offer 30-day money back guarantees on all purchases - subscriptions and content. If you look at the bundles that are available for D&D (if that is what you plan to play), then there is also a pretty significant cost savings and more content available for Fantasy Grounds overall. Those purchases will work with FGU when it is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Locotomo View Post
    ...or else all the Roll20 converters are quicker gone than u think .
    I know this will put a lot of pressure on you, but its a great chance you shouldnt throw away 😄👍
    ....then they are gone.

Seriously, not JUST a sarcastic sounding reply --- but an honest one. Any business, that rushes product out the door SOLELY for idle random threats like "Well ABC company if your product isn't out NOW then I'll take my business elsewhere"......then that company isn't truly concerned of quality. You can't please everyone -- its just one of those facts of life things. You have to be true to yourself, your vision and maintain the quality you want to seek. If people leave because they perceive it takes you too long...well such is life. The mature business owner will turn that to "ok well that's unfortunate, but now I'm gonna bust my arse on making my product the best it can be -- and perhaps that will drive them back to me in due time."

Such is life.....you want to go--- go then. Just go.

Blog Entries
    The original post was made in October 2018. Since then, we have run the Kickstarter, announced a target release date in December and gone through most of an Alpha test. Beta should be starting this month. At this stage, I think most people a content to wait for the planned process to play out.

Why does not the devs have their own servers? I understand its an economical questions but frankly, 2-3 racks with a total of maybe 15 servers, a monthly cost of not too much, will be enough for probably the entire FG community.
    Personally I like that it is not run on online servers and is a stand alone application. Two of the main reasons I never used Roll20 was the online servers and web based front-end, there is also the issue with the owner but I won't go into that.

As someone currently using Roll20, am considering FG, but am about to start a new campaign, is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I want to move to FG but if so I need to do that now or within the next week.
    So Either I buy the ultimate version now, and in a week or 2 months I need to pay for the upgrade to unity.

Or I opt to continue roll20 where if so I am looking at starting and buying a new campaign, which probably will last 6-8 months.

That said the extra money is not a problem for me, Im more after dynamic lightning and the network hub, as I feel the current port forwarding and sharing of FG right now seems just, well quite honestly, its back to the 80s, compared to Roll20 where everything is online on servers run by Roll20.

Back on topic though, I would not mind buying a test version thats not complete, and then get a free upgrade once done.
    It will either be bought this week or possible never, but I really would like to give FG a shot, as I feel it might give a new spark for our DnD sessions.

We have a player group going on 25-30 years, and will use the platform for atleast 10-15 years. after that we all have alzheimers and dont play anymore. Ok maybe in 25 years but hey. We are all friends since childhood and simply through the years continued to dive into our sessions even though we live in different countries across the globe, the discovery of Virtual tabletops a few years ago was fantastic.

After 3 years on Roll20 things have happened within our group so that we either stick to Roll20 or move to a new platform, hence my new and current interest in FG, and trying to learn all about it.
    The bad timing though of Unity being released so soon but not soon enough, is bothering me.
    As others have said, get a sub until unity releases. All your purchased content will transfer over and while you have to do without dynamic lighting for a bit... It is worth it if you are playing on a supported ruleset.

I am saying this as someone who spent 3 years as a roll20 GM and paying the sub all the way as well as being a character sheet contributor. FG is a better platform to GM from by far with exception to the awful drawing tools.

Being a host/client architecture helps a lot as well and means there is next to no latency experienced in play. Unlike the sluggish web experience that is roll20. Roll20 is good for initial accessibility, but when it comes to actually managing any sort of complex campaign I would never go back to it.

question about the beta coming out on the 28th, can you host a game in it for other players who also have a beta key? I assume you can't host a game with anyone yet though i happy to be corrected.

Thread Information