DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Psi

Greetings All,

So far I've imported the Data into the ruleset, so it displays the PSI abilities, been wrangling how to list only the Talents.

The hard side really is how to make the 'actions' work as such for damage and points cost etc. So planning on just adding it as an action without any real effects for this version (1.08).

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Greetings All,

So I've just pushed 1.0.8 to FG. You can read more about it here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...2-Update-1-0-8

That has the first stage of the PSI stuff.

You can with 1.0.8, drag the Talents you want, set the Level you have and make 'PSI Talent' rolls against each. This means if someone has Psionics, they can add the Talents they have, and make a Talent roll for any ability under that Talent they want.

Now stage 2 of the PSI stuff will be in 1.0.9, or 1.0.8a if I get it completed this month.

My thinking.

When you drag a Talent into the PSI Tab, the Abilities appear in the Action Tab, for that Talent, if more than 1 Talent is chosen the list in the Action Tab will be mixed in alpha order, easier to find the 'ability you want'

Now against an Ability the 'Talent DM' will be shown as the 'Total' and that can be rolled, but there's also a COST field. This is defaulted to 0, but the player can edit it, make the roll (if they have enough PSI points left), and then if successful, the points cost is taken from the PSI Strength (current).

This is very basic, but gets around the 1+Range cost a lot of them have.

I do welcome thoughts on these ideas, they're what I class as stage 2 and should be easy to implement.

Onto the 3rd stage (again depending on speed of 2nd, might be part of that), PSI abilities that are 'attacks', these are issues because of how they damage, Assault for example attacks the PSI stat and then the Intelligence stat, then the Endurance and ignores armour, but not if the Mind is shielded.

It gets quite complex.

Yet another attack 'TELEKINETIC PUNCH' uses force and thus armour can stop part of that damage.

So thinking aloud again, it's as if we need to add Damage Types in Traveller, very similar to DnD5E which has Bludgeon/Slashing/Cold/Fire etc.

To which Armour would need to be updated as to what resistances it has.

All in all this is very beneficial to the system, that way Laser Damage gets stopped by Reflec armour, but the old .45 won't. It's a big change, so again I welcome thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

First and foremost: thanks for your efforts. I have benn "off the grid" for a few days (being in Bad Ischl enjoying a few holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post

So thinking aloud again, it's as if we need to add Damage Types in Traveller, very similar to DnD5E which has Bludgeon/Slashing/Cold/Fire etc.

To which Armour would need to be updated as to what resistances it has.

All in all this is very beneficial to the system, that way Laser Damage gets stopped by Reflec armour, but the old .45 won't. It's a big change, so again I welcome thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    MBM
    That part about damage types is true, but also for other kinds. There is armour that prevents kinetic damage (impacts), some prevent only laser damage (reflective armour), some prevent radiation damage...
    So what you said about damage types sounds right to me.

cya.

Quote Originally Posted by LordNanoc View Post
    First and foremost: thanks for your efforts. I have benn "off the grid" for a few days (being in Bad Ischl enjoying a few holidays.

That part about damage types is true, but also for other kinds. There is armour that prevents kinetic damage (impacts), some prevent only laser damage (reflective armour), some prevent radiation damage...
    So what you said about damage types sounds right to me.

cya.
    Damage Types will be added, going to add that to the wishlist, and start on it soon, because I need it in my game (one guy wears Reflec only)....

Ok, I changed to "Test" and checked the PSI skills/talents... and found out, that I probably don't know exactly, how they work

I tried to add different talents to the Psionics tab and no matter what I try, it only adds one talent and it's the base talent. I.e. if I add "Pyrokinesis" i get "Telekinesis" shown. And no matter what else I add, there is only "Telekinesis" standing there at skill level 0.
    Dunno if this is working as intended, but it looks like a bug to me

Ok, I changed to "Test" and checked the PSI skills/talents... and found out, that I probably don't know exactly, how they work

I tried to add different talents to the Psionics tab and no matter what I try, it only adds one talent and it's the base talent. I.e. if I add "Pyrokinesis" i get "Telekinesis" shown. And no matter what else I add, there is only "Telekinesis" standing there at skill level 0.
    When you unlock a psionic skill you start that skill with a 0 rating. Like Telekinesis-0. Once you have the skill you have access to all the powers under that skill. Telekinesis is the skill you would roll for any of its offshoot powers.

As Emdev stated, there are talents and each talent has a list of abilities. The talent skill level is the base skill for any ability under it.

Part II of the Psionics will auto add the various abilities, they'll appear under the actions tab, so then you'll be able to roll an individual ability, ie 'Pyrokinesis'.

Cheers
    MBM
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; January 12th, 2019 at 14:19.

Ah. Ok ... Looking forward to that then ...

Thread Information