STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    Thinking about things, I'm pretty sure we (the Community) could put together some sort of entity to take over from /buy out SmioteWorks and keep thing going.

There are enough professional coders, web developers, network engineers, project managers, CIO/CTOs, and CEOs in the Community that I'd be surprised if something couldn't be worked out. (Hell, that describes me alone.)
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Regardless of how you obtain it if you like it enough to use it you'll probably end up buying it anyway (e.g. Rob2e, etc.). As a matter of fact, Factorio developers have said that they figure piracy has resulted in more purchases than advertising...if people like what they get they are very likely to support the developers. And to be honest, if you don't like FantasyGrounds once you have tried it, then you probably have a pre-conceived bias anyway.

<rant>I just wish the DMsGuild material could update automatically too because it starts to become a pain in the arse when you<rant> have many items that you have to check, then re-download them, etc.</rant>

Also, I am in the camp that would prefer that the perpetual licenses wouldn't have to check anything ever (even now). I can understand the subscription licenses checking.

Having said that, keep your resources working on FGU, and only critical updates to FGC
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Thinking about things, I'm pretty sure we (the Community) could put together some sort of entity to take over from /buy out SmioteWorks and keep thing going.

There are enough professional coders, web developers, network engineers, project managers, CIO/CTOs, and CEOs in the Community that I'd be surprised if something couldn't be worked out. (Hell, that describes me alone.)
    As a professional software engineer, I'd be hip to that jive...
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what sometimes causes these sort of questions to pop up. SmiteWorks is doing very well as a company. You might as well ask "how can I play FG if a massive asteroid strikes the earth and cripples our infrastructure?"

Plus you have already answered the question.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I'm not sure what sometimes causes these sort of questions to pop up. SmiteWorks is doing very well as a company. You might as well ask "how can I play FG if a massive asteroid strikes the earth and cripples our infrastructure?"

I think it's a combination of things. WotC et al. can't come round your house and clear out your bookshelf if they happen to go under. D&D beyond is totally at the whim of curse, and could be turned off at any time, likewise for Roll20. Microsoft recently shut down their eBook service and removed access to all the books customers had purchased (they refunded, but you know the books were still gone) and Amazon and Apple have both had incidents of removing purchased items from customer's devices. A lot of roleplayers are very much also collectors, and are concerned that their collection is "safe".

That is the great thing about FG. the stuff is resident on your computer. They can’t come in and wipe that away. The only risk is the license check, which they have promised to disable if they went under (and even if they didn’t some hacker could kill it and probably already has for pirates)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post

Ok, so how do we keep playing after an asteroid strikes earth?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWzxq0aCfLE

Might have to go back and use a radio type modem, but I'm sure we can figure it out!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    Amazon and Apple have both had incidents of removing purchased items from customer's devices
    Amazon has, AFAICR, only done this once, with a book that was a copyright violation. And they replaced the book, free of charge, with a copy that had no copyright problems. The only thing customers lost were notes or bookmarks they had added.

Thread Information