Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I bought the ultimate license full-price at $150 three or four years ago and have been super happy with that decision ever since. If you can get a discount then go for it. But I just wanted to say, it's totally worth it at full price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. It gives the customers an option to try out FG for a month or two without committing to the larger up-front cost, and with only a minor increase to the overall cost. And if you consider the customers being a group, and not just the gamesmaster, one month of ultimate subscription verses 5 or 6 people buying standard licenses "blind" it seems a good option for customers too.
    Well, remember the 30 day money back guarantee. So either way you can try out FG for a month with no risk.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    I don't see how it would make business sense for FG to offer up special sales. Sure they want the increased traffic, but when would the time period be over? Would it just go on forever?
    because with the free FG version you can't do anything, you really cant use FG to try it out. you can only be a player if you find someone with the Ultimate license. a i suggested somewhere if Doug gave roll20 deserters 90 days of standard for free, then it would only be a lack of $15 give or take from the monthly fee revenue stream. but think how many books would need to be sold to replace those on roll20. they would probably buy the PHB, DMG, no forget it... Oct 1 they would buy the new basic bundle.. so instant sale for having the software itself as a lossleader. An for the most part with the one-time or lifetime licenses, the software itself is already a lossleader.

and considering FGCon gives free weekend test drive of Ultimate to all standard license holders next month, those switching over from roll20 would get the whole enchilada to test out real soon to be able to see if FG can replace roll20 for them. fully kick the tires, try to learn how to DM and set up homemade content in FG etc.

so setting up a lossleader as a lossleader isnt really a bad business model... it is something you are already doing anyway. Then getting people hooked on FG Classic, when the upgrade to FGU comes about, those people will likely be more willing to move onto it, than if FGU was competing with roll20 directly since it already made a big pull from roll20 in the advent of this fiasco that NolanT has caused.

at times like this a company can sit on its laurels while people jump ship from another product, or make a hard push to "welcome" those people onto a ship that isn't sinking.

I disagree with you, at least for Pathfinder or 35e. With the demo you can load the sample tutorial campaign, run a second instance to see what the player sees. test combat, work with images. you just can't save anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    you just can't save anything.
    that is sort of the problem in a nutshell. what good is a platform for playing an RPG if you can't save your space or progress. it is like the quarter gobblers of old, finish it all at once or start over from the beginning.

it is pre Zelda that allowed you to quit playing for whatever reason and begin later.

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    what good is a platform for playing an RPG if you can't save your space or progress.
    Platform? Huh? I agree that there wouldn’t be much point to a RPG VTT platform where you couldn’t save your work and gaming situation. But we're not talking about a platform here, we're talking about the free/demo license which, despite what you say, does allow you to "try it out". You can see what the interface can do from a GM point of view, you can play in a game with an Ultimate GM for as long as you like. It is there to let you try FG as a GM, have a single player connect, play around with what can be done, etc.. It is not there to allow you to run campaigns with the demo license. If you want to try FG as a GM running a multi-session game with multiple players then take out a one month subscription, with a no questions asked 30 day refund.
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 28th, 2018 at 09:11.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

you can't have your cake and eat it too. you don't get to list all the things crippleware is, then complain when a program is called crippleware.

also looking at the website you may see "Demo" posted all over the place, but looking inside the program, it clearly states the version as "FREE", not DEMO, not CLIENT, not PLAYER....

if it were to be honest, the "free"/"demo" version as it is called, should be called the "player client" to let people know, this is not the full DM tool, since that is how the most biggest salesmen pitch FG as, not a VTT, but a DM tool.

yet the website here still claims VTT....

mincing words like this is being dishonest and disingenuous.

when the programs claims inside its own code "FREE", then doesn't allow to save even the "campaign progress", not the exporting feature and such, but save campaign files to run even a game with 1 single player, or a group using a single PC for all the players, there is something wrong.. either the terminology used on the website or within the program is fraudulent since they in no way shape or form match.

Demo's are fine, player client is fine, just make it clearly stated and dont mince words.

DM tool, VTT, whatever FG really is, you can't test several features. This is what it means to be crippleware. Now i don't think at this stage with FGU in the maternity ward about to be birthed that the current version could be changed to shareware... the type of program that gives full functionality for 30 days, or 2 hours, or after opening it 3 times, but there is a reason crippleware was abandoned and shareware became the norm.

sorry, you might not like the term, but FG is what it is, and it is crippleware, and you can't test everything. ... without paying money, and YES ther is 30-day money back etc.. but that doesnt mean it is any less crippleware. you have to pay for full functionality, since it is one program to rule them all, one for players an the same for GMs...

and saving progress, being able to load it, is something that is required unless something is designed only for "one-shots". this is why people have been using roll20, and MANY, as pointed out by a lot of people around here contrary to the hopes of Doug, myself, and a lot of other people.. will CONTINUE to use roll20, because it is fully functioning without paying a dime.... if you want to deal with that sort of company.

the reason people are asking for a discount for switching platforms is beause they don't want to have to deal with backpeddling sexist racist people that are overprotective of their software and unable to accept criticism/critiques about it....

be careful actions and words dont seem like there is a NolanT here as well by being dismissive of glaring facts about FG.... look in the recent "compare FG to roll20" thread and you will see there people admit roll20 is FREE, while FG is not and that is why so many people were using it, not FG....

and ROG is so expensive as it is to play, then having to buy the books digital just to use a program online, and then having to spend extra .. that is a LOT of cost ont he DM,a nd players pay.. nothing.

but how can you spread that out to have the players pay in any sort of business model? that is the question whoever running a company will have to ask, or DMs will still seek the free versions since a single game book or adventures costs $50. its cheaper to go play an EA game with DLC lootbox gambling, than an RPG with a VTT at that point.

nothing warns a user that saving is not a feature of the "free" version...

Demo with one player and one GM
    which could be a bait and switch in some cases as well....

but this isnt about legal things, it is simply about to test a program you want to know it does what it is intended to do, and saving progress in an RPG organization tool is a feature that people should clearly be able to test BEFORE having to do business with a company. none of this hidden EULA nonsense Radio Shack pulled with its CueCat scanners that was found to be illegal binding people to a EULA they werent allowed to read or such...

and then if someone doesnt buy a "license" aka an upgrade t the hosting portion, then maybe they use the free version with only 2 PCs connected and buy books... SmiteWorks hasnt lost money...choose your lossleaders well. give the 12 alarm chili & hot wings for free, then charge $5 for a glass of water if you want, just make it known up front.

>EOL

...be careful actions and words dont seem like there is a NolanT here as well by being dismissive of glaring facts about FG....
    I'm not being dismissive of glaring facts, and I am far from being a NolanT. As usual, you distort the facts. If I was behaving like NolanT your posts would have been deleted and you would have been banned from these forums a long time ago - and not by me, as I've never banned anyone (other than 100% spammers). Engaging you, and pointing out your omissions/inaccurate statements is nowhere remotely like NolanT. You seem to enjoy deliberately posting inflammatory statements with little accuracy - this is another one of those statements.

The only reason I'm even engaging with you is that you regularly post inflammatory opinions and inaccurate misinformation. I don't want others reading your posts to think that all of what you spout is accurate. I really don't want to engage you, but as a forum moderator I feel I have to keep any constantly inaccurate misrepresentations in check.

The main issue I have with your statements (other than inaccuracy) is the sweeping generalisations you make - you keep saying "FG is crippleware", FG as a platform won't let you save your progress, etc., etc.. And you usually neglect to clarify that this is not FG as a whole - despite numerous people pointing this out to you. The free/demo client which you frequently decry is only designed to allow limited GM functionality - to try/demo the product as a GM (demo, not run a game) and for players where their GM has the Ultimate license. This is clear in the features and functionality of the Demo on the front page of this very website. Nobody is trying to hide anything about the functionality of the various FG licenses. Everyone admits it: Yes, you can't save anything with a free/demo client (other than PCs in Manage Characters). Yes, you can't have more than one player connect to a GM using the demo/free license. There is no "Bait and switch" going on. So it astounds me that you keep going on and on with the same misleading generalised posts.

Maybe it's because you clearly don't like FG. You've told us it has nothing for you as a VTT and that you don't use it. That's completely your choice and I respect that. What I don't respect is continually posting inaccurate and inflammatory statements on these forums. Maybe you just like arguing...
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 28th, 2018 at 12:16.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    To follow up on Moon Wizard's statement, sales that we have are pre-planned and scheduled in advance to be in sync between Steam and our website. Sales on specific DLC from licensed publishers is often times approved at a certain frequency, limited duration and percentage off. Due to our agreement with Valve (owners of Steam), we are not allowed to disclose the specifics of any upcoming sales. We *do* offer a 30-day money back guarantee for purchases on fantasygrounds.com (not Steam), however, and this means that you are free to contact us at [email protected] and request a refund for something if you see that it goes on sale within 30 days of purchase.

We are phasing out our large D&D Complete Bundle that grants a 25% discount when you complete the entire set and replacing it with 2 smaller sets that offer a 15% discount. In addition, we are adding a new set that offers 15% off other D&D products that were not previously part of the bundle. You would have until Oct 1st to grab that one at the max discount or you can wait until after and get a 15% discount on much more reasonably sized bundles such as the D&D Essentials. You can click See All Bundles on the main store page to browse those options.

Blog Entries
    since that is how the most biggest salesmen pitch FG as, not a VTT, but a DM tool.
    Do tell who the most biggest salesmen are please?

nothing warns a user that saving is not a feature of the "free" version...

Demo with one player and one GM

which could be a bait and switch in some cases as well....
    You do understand dont you, that taking words out of context, or in isolation of other words that precede and follow them... is disingenuous...

You also understand that 10 bullet points on a page quite clearly do not spell out much of anything in detail...

Preceding your quoted line of text are the following rather salient points...

NO Build Your Campaigns
    YES Play in a game hosted by Ultimate
    NO Play in a game hosted by Standard
    NO Host Games for Standard and Ultimate
    NO Host Games for Demo Players
    NO 242 Tokens (Animals, Characters, Monsters)
    NO 26 battlemaps for streets, caves, dungeons and tunnels
    YES Rulesets 3.5E, 4E, 5E, FATECore, PFRPG, Numenera
    NO Data Libraries D&D 5e SRD , D&D 5e Basic Rules , D&D 3.5E SRD, FATECore, Pathfinder SRD Libraries

So you Cannot build a campaign, you get no data libraries and no art resources
    And you CAN DEMO with one player and one GM

I feel it is ambitious to interpret that as bait and switch or whatever else you are suggesting

You also point out the discrepancy between the Website saying Demo and the Client as saying Free as though that were bait and switch and yet... I would think it would need to be the other way to trick you into the transaction?

Crippleware? Maybe... but its advertised as what it is.

Thread Information